No announcement yet.

Just a Forum "Etiquette" question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just a Forum "Etiquette" question....

Well "interestingly" it looks as if my question might have been "answered" "De Facto" - posted a thread and noted that the shots posted were from a variety of cameras including the E-M10 - and from (currently) 125 views only one comment.....

Jim
    Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
    RIA my Images

Comment

Originally posted by shotokan101 View Post
      Well "interestingly" it looks as if my question might have been "answered" "De Facto" - posted a thread and noted that the shots posted were from a variety of cameras including the E-M10 - and from (currently) 125 views only one comment.....

Jim
      My experience, from a number of photography forums, is that many viewers do not read much, if any, of the descriptive text, as evidenced by some of the questions they submit.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by shotokan101 View Post

Jim
        There's one more now!

Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Having been away for a few days, just catching up.

I think the reasonable responses show the thoughtful approach of the Forum members to what could be a very emotive subject .

I have been a Photographer since 1961, and although my main cameras have all been from Olympus, my collection includes many other makes that I have used in the past. Strange as it may seem, not a single Canicon camera or lens in the whole lot

I read with interest the threads on camera/lens comparisons, but would hate to see the current balance change, a little of very good stuff from alternative sources keeps the forum interesting, but still an Olympus forum.
          The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

I think many here have the right idea but for what it's worth, this is an Olympus site and so there should be a reasonable association with Olympus. This could be quite tenuous if not practised too often. But we don't need entirely non-Olympus or associated brands threads. Associated brands that are not a problem include Panasonic Lumix, Sigma, Nissin, etc. - whose products are designed to work with Olympus gear. In the end it will be down to the discretion of the moderators to decide if there is an 'infringement'.

Ian
            Founder and editor of:
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
            sigpic

Comment

I've been away for the weekend so just come to this thread. I fully support those who want to keep this Olympus specific and I would go further by saying if this site became more generic I may stop using the site. For me I like this site because it is Olympus specific, its what I have. I am able to see what my gear is capable of achieving when other post their images. There are a plethora of other sites if folk what to show other makes of images. It will become too much of a distraction if other brand are allowed to be shown and could give the wrong impression. Suppose someone posted a BIF taken with 7DMII in Photo Fair a cursory glance may well mislead some to think that this is what Olympus gear is capable of taking. Sometimes we don't always have time to read the text as someone has already pointed out. Is this not a Olympus e-group forum to showcase and support what the Olympus e-system can produce, we should respect that.
              John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
                I've been away for the weekend so just come to this thread. I fully support those who want to keep this Olympus specific and I would go further by saying if this site became more generic I may stop using the site. For me I like this site because it is Olympus specific, its what I have. I am able to see what my gear is capable of achieving when other post their images. There are a plethora of other sites if folk what to show other makes of images. It will become too much of a distraction if other brand are allowed to be shown and could give the wrong impression. Suppose someone posted a BIF taken with 7DMII in Photo Fair a cursory glance may well mislead some to think that this is what Olympus gear is capable of taking. Sometimes we don't always have time to read the text as someone has already pointed out. Is this not a Olympus e-group forum to showcase and support what the Olympus e-system can produce, we should respect that.

So how do you feel about photographs taken on Olympus film cameras (which many of us here still own)?

And should those of us who enjoy medium format photography be relegated to another forum when we follow that particular interest?

I frequent this forum precisely because of the very liberal interpretation of forum rules. I also enjoy being able to talk freely about all types of camera, not just Olympus, without starting a war with Canon sponsored moderators as seems to happen on a certain magazine forum aimed at amateur photographers.

I take your point about capturing birds in flight with a Canon 7D with L glass, although in moderation it still provides a useful comparison so that others can see what they are (or are not) missing by not using such equipment.

However, if the present balance should change so that anything other than Olympus Digital cameras and their images was verboten I would have to find another forum to idle away my spare moments.

I now need to go and lie down after using those 'L' words.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Quality images are enjoyable and inspirational to many of us, and unique opportunities will sometimes present themselves when the only thing available is a smartphone.

I often have a XZ-1 in my pocket for grab shots and have just bought a Leica D-LUX that uses the same sensor found in the Olympus CSCs

These I feel are close enough associations to not push the boundaries. "Other make" lenses on Olympus bodies have featured quite well in the past and stands as a testament to the versatility and range of adapting capabilities of Olympus.

Content appreciation can and often should be independent of the kit used in the initial capture. As so much manipulation of the original data takes place in many images, there is often little of those precious pixels left intact to be evangelical about.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    So how do you feel about photographs taken on Olympus film cameras (which many of us here still own)?
                    Nigel.
                    You raised this point earlier and in post #29 John (ZUIKO) pointed out that we already have a board "Nostalgia Nexus" which Ian instigated to address this.

Perhaps this is one of those little bits of text you missed.

Personally I am not convinced that a "film" image posted on here will necessarily meaningfully convey the (superior or whatever) characteristics of the film image. What you will see is effectively a digital photograph of a print (or slide) taken with a "camera" with a sensor of unknown characteristics and a light source of unknown characteristics. The image characteristics will not be a faithful representation of the original but an amalgam of the characteristics of the film camera and the scanner. Just my thoughts.

Regards.
                    Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                    OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                    Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
                      Nigel.
                      You raised this point earlier and in post #29 John (ZUIKO) pointed out that we already have a board "Nostalgia Nexus" which Ian instigated to address this.

Perhaps this is one of those little bits of text you missed.
                      I didn't miss any text at all.

I was simply responding to your post in which, (despite the text in post #29 that you pointed out) you persisted in the view that the forum should only be used to display images taken on Olympus e-system cameras.

Whilst I accept that the forum exists to showcase Olympus e-system cameras I think most of us are broad minded enough enjoy photographs taken on any type of camera and to appreciate them for their own merits.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I'm finding it difficult to interpret the policy regarding 'Associated Brands', but it's probably just me and my lack of understanding.

I'm not sure whether the last picture post I made, entitled 'Window Light' taken with a GX7 and a PL25/f1.4, has any place whatsoever in the forum (irrespective of taste), ie whether it's allowed in the lounge, Foto Fair or not at all.

I also own and make images using a Leica. It sounds like this has no place whatsoever.
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

The title of the forum is E System User Group, a separate forum exists for Four Thirds Users whilst it can be nice to see the odd photograph from other systems it is as easy to open a different forum to do so.
                          People may think it does not cause any problems but we lost a regular poster and a moderator who posted some shots from a different system not so long ago due to comments that he was not using Olympus kit!!
                          I like the fact that this site shows what the E System can do and that people are familiar with the kit.
                          Just my tuppence worth.

Wee Man
                          Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                            I'm finding it difficult to interpret the policy regarding 'Associated Brands', but it's probably just me and my lack of understanding.

I'm not sure whether the last picture post I made, entitled Window Light' taken with a GX7 and a PL25/f1.4, has any place whatsoever in the forum (irrespective of taste), ie whether it's allowed in the lounge, Foto Fair or not at all.

I also own and make images using a Leica. It sound like this has no place whatsoever.
                            As well as being a really good picture, there is a lot of "association" by virtue of the MFT relationships. It sits well in "Foto Fair"...

The content, lighting, exposure, etc., is far more important than the kit used, and had you not put GX7 in the title, kit used would likely have gone unnoticed.

You may like to consider recreating that image with a PEN-F
                            Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Thanks Graham.

Once upon a while I foolishly thought different camera gear would make a better photo. I was totally wrong. Images are created in the photographer's head, and for me one of the appeals of a photographic forum is to see how others perceive the world. I look at images from other photographers and try to work out what's appealing, thereby learning from the experience, and improving my own work.

I have a presence on Flickr and I thank people for their work where appropriate. What I don't do is look at the EXIF data and say wow, taken with a particular brand, that's good. Gear to me is totally irrelevant. Apart from, say, people making images with an iPhone and wondering whether I should upgrade my 4S to a 5 or 6.
                              Steve

on flickr

Comment

This thread seems to have veered into a bit more "serious territory" than I expected my initial post to generate TBH - and recent posts are now making this place not feel as "friendly" as I had come to expect.... after all it's (surely?) Primarily a Photography Forum - whether it's sponsored by Olympus or not shouldn't (IMO) preclude members posting shots from any brand of equipment - getting more disappointed as I see these recent posts

Jim
                                Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
                                Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
                                RIA my Images

Comment

Working...
                                X