Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

New descriptions for old concepts....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New descriptions for old concepts....

    Perhaps I'm being cynical but have been through all this stuff in the 60's and 70's. All the hippie jargon- back to the land, esoteric stuff. Well we thought it was !
    ok- the latest trendy words:

    Minimalism- it's like- get shot of all your rubbish- if you haven't used it in the past 6 months you never will.
    Mindfullness- think before you open your Gob to avoid screwing your life up.
    Synchronicity- meaningfull co-incidences
    And the one that really grates on me- " Going Off-Grid "- it won't happen pet

    I refer back to my dog-eared copy of the 1971 Last Whole Earth Catalogue. It's ALL been done before.....

    - signing off as " Grumpy Old Woman "
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/minnies_mum

  • #2
    Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

    Alternatives :-

    Minimalism- The new Pen F
    Mindfulness - too much Facebook
    Synchronicity - Double exposure
    Going off grid - Forgot to pay the electric bill
    The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

      Of course it's all been done before. But there are a whole new bunch of graduates fresh out of university working in Marquetry (marketing) and PR, who need to convince the world that they have new ideas and fresh ways of doing things that will change our lives forever and make us complete.

      Oh, and just in case you wondered, "it's because we're worth it."

      Sadly far too many people fall for this carp, which is probably why we spend far more on ourselves than we should, or can afford.

      Oddly enough, some companies that make obscene profits from doing things differently for the sake of it. After all, why retain things like standard headphone jacks in mobile phones when you can make even more profit by forcing gullible customers to buy expensive new headphones and other accessories?
      ---------------

      Naughty Nigel


      Difficult is worth doing

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

        How can anyone with GAS be a Minimalist ?
        I like it- " going off- Grid "- forgot to pay the Leccie bill"- tee-hee
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/minnies_mum

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

          Of course if we take a helicopter view we soon realise that corporate buzz-phrases are nothing new. Indeed, I have come across odious individuals who seem to have the ability to hold entire conversations using such phrases; the downside being that nobody actually understands what they are saying!

          Rather like the English language, buzz-phrases are constantly evolving; but given the lack of imagination amongst the guilty parties it is hardly surprising that these phrases tend to be recycled, sorry, reinvented with monotonous regularity.

          However, when it comes to the phrase 'going off grid' I am never sure whether this means becoming disconnected from the internet, mains electricity and so forth, or whether it simply means going off of the map?
          ---------------

          Naughty Nigel


          Difficult is worth doing

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

            Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

            However, when it comes to the phrase 'going off grid' I am never sure whether this means becoming disconnected from the internet, mains electricity and so forth, or whether it simply means going off of the map?
            I believe that technically " off-grid " means not connected to the National grid for electricity. So I guess having one's own generator as in wind-power and-or solar panels. However have heard the term used also in relation to being self-sufficient regards food by either growing your own or foraging- neither of which are possible all year year round of course- unless you live somewhere tropical !
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/minnies_mum

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

              Originally posted by Minniesmum View Post
              However have heard the term used also in relation to being self-sufficient regards food by either growing your own or foraging- neither of which are possible all year year round of course- unless you live somewhere tropical !
              ... Or you have a very large freezer, which would require being connected to the National Grid!
              ---------------

              Naughty Nigel


              Difficult is worth doing

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

                Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                ... Or you have a very large freezer, which would require being connected to the National Grid!
                Exactly ! Which is why it can never work in reality will leave the " nouveau Hippies" to dream on tho
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/minnies_mum

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

                  I suspect that "going off the grid" has the same origins as "back to square one" The grid was of a football pitch and was published in Radio Times in the 1920s to enable commentators to tell radio listeners where the action currently was.

                  In other words, it meant "out of touch". I will resist temptation!

                  Harold
                  The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

                    I love Leccie also love the outdoors and wild-camping, but sometimes one feels the need to go on EHU. Best of both worlds
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/minnies_mum

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

                      I met an "off the grid ' person last October, they lived just outside of Show Low in Arizona, they had Solar panels - storing spare electricity in batteries, internet via Satellite and endless supply of fire wood (they lived in a forested mountainous area). They had a well and small waste/toilet system.

                      I think that they had to drive a bit to get Cell phone coverage (mobile phone to us Brits) but then in the UK reliable cell phone coverage would also be a luxury <g>
                      This space for rent

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

                        Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                        I met an "off the grid ' person last October, they lived just outside of Show Low in Arizona, they had Solar panels - storing spare electricity in batteries, internet via Satellite and endless supply of fire wood (they lived in a forested mountainous area). They had a well and small waste/toilet system.

                        I think that they had to drive a bit to get Cell phone coverage (mobile phone to us Brits) but then in the UK reliable cell phone coverage would also be a luxury <g>
                        I'm sure it can be done however you need a fair bit of cash investment to set everything up to start with. Heat by firewood means installing a wood furnace or stove with flu, solar panels aren't cheap. Arizona has long, very cold winters and I guess you would need to get supplies in and use a freezer for food. Many folk in my native Nova Scotia have petrol powered generators as back-up so I guess you could use one of those to generate leccie for a freezer, etc.
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/minnies_mum

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

                          Originally posted by Minniesmum View Post
                          I'm sure it can be done however you need a fair bit of cash investment to set everything up to start with. Heat by firewood means installing a wood furnace or stove with flu, solar panels aren't cheap. Arizona has long, very cold winters and I guess you would need to get supplies in and use a freezer for food. Many folk in my native Nova Scotia have petrol powered generators as back-up so I guess you could use one of those to generate leccie for a freezer, etc.
                          If it is so cold in winter, why don't they store frozen food outside, as they do in the far north, and save power?

                          Harold
                          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

                            Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                            internet via Satellite
                            Doesn't that rather defeat the object?
                            ---------------

                            Naughty Nigel


                            Difficult is worth doing

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

                              Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                              Doesn't that rather defeat the object?
                              that's what I thought......
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/minnies_mum

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X