Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Conflicting Media Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicting Media Messages

From this evening's Sky News summary of tomorrow's headlines:

:: The Daily Telegraph

Britain's junk food diet has become the leading cause of death and ill-health, ahead of smoking, according to a study published in The Lancet

:: Daily Mirror

People can expect to live five years longer than they did 25 years ago

:: i

Southern England has the best life expectancy rate in the world

Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
    OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
    Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Re: Conflicting Media Messages

The DaIly Telegraph and the Daily Mirror both have it right.
    Most of us eat Junk food to some extent. A lesser number smoke but also eat junk food.
    The Mirror article must refer to the minority who neither smoke nor eat junk food
    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

As Mark says, both are right, as there is an increasing divergence in how people eat and live depending on their circumstances.

At the risk of generalising, well educated and affluent people generally like to eat healthy diets and keep busy and active enough not to become obese. Modern healthcare also means a much longer lifespan, helped by the reduction in smoking and heavy drinking.

By contrast, those at the other end of the social spectrum seem to find it easier to eat expensive and unhealthy junk foods, and are also more likely to smoke and drink excessively.

This is almost a complete reversal of the situation from 50 years ago when it was the well off that tended to get fat, whilst the working and middle classes lived on simpler, healthier, home cooked diets, and had plenty of manual work and physical exercise to keep them healthy. Smoking was commonplace but in the context of 1960's lifespans it probably didn't have as much effect on lifespan as it does now.

Oddly enough, I remember one very portly gentleman who lived in our village, drove a big car and who stood out for no other reason than the size of his belly! Word was that he was 'rich' and that was how rich people lived.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Well as a kid if you survived the diets of the 70's and 80's then you should live forever on todays "junk food"
        You canít make a great musician or a great photographer if the magic isnít there. ~ Eve Arnold

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.

Comment

That is probably true, as the fast food industry has been forced to clean up its act in recent years. However, I don't know whether entire families lived on fast food in the 70's and 80's as some do now?
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

If the poorer end of the social spectrum can afford to eat expensive unhealthy junk foods, and are also more likely to smoke and drink excessively, then perhaps a complete rethink in that area is well overdue. Considering that obesity has now become a major factor in NHS care, I'm sure there are many ways to create opportunites for certain 'long term' unemployed individuals to put into rather than sit back and take out of the system.
            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
              If the poorer end of the social spectrum can afford to eat expensive unhealthy junk foods, and are also more likely to smoke and drink excessively, then perhaps a complete rethink in that area is well overdue. Considering that obesity has now become a major factor in NHS care, I'm sure there are many ways to create opportunites for certain 'long term' unemployed individuals to put into rather than sit back and take out of the system.
              I'm glad you said that Wally! I wouldn't have dared.

We often hear about the massive and ever rising costs of running the NHS, but the fact is that a large percentage of the NHS's patients are suffering from self inflicted injuries and conditions.

I have to hold my hands up and admit that, at one time I was regular customer of Louth and Lincoln Hospital owing to my exploits at nearby Cadwell Park, but this was a very short term patch up and dispatch job, rather than long term care. But for the grace of God things could have been very different, but the logic of dragging oxygen bottles and drips to a hospital door to smoke twenty Bensons whilst shivering in the cold just doesn't compute in my mind.

With regard to obesity, perhaps schools and parents need to do more to teach youngsters how to cook simple meals, and to give them the imagination to see what can be achieved with a few cheap and simple ingredients rather than going to MacDonald's or Subway for breakfast, lunch and tea?
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Alas we do now have the highest number of obese people in Europe and that is in turn now being mirrored in young children as well.

Cases of Diabetes / Asthma are rocketing out of all proportion!

People blame all sorts of things but the big impact was when schools stopped making children do mandatory sports, now they work on PC's / game machines while eating a burger and fries - a sadreflection of our times.

Parents have become paranoid about letting children out to play (in some cases in certain areas that may be justifiable - again the press plays a major part in this).

I just feel sad that young children today in many cases need to be with a parent to enjoy the outdoors, getting dirty, eating soil etc all the things that help the immune system - instead, parents have more demanding lifestyles and are happy for children to sit in and play games.

We are victims of the modern age - yet why are we so bad in comparison to the rest of Europe?
                Ian from the Cotswolds
                http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Iansky View Post
                  Alas we do now have the highest number of obese people in Europe and that is in turn now being mirrored in young children as well.

We are victims of the modern age - yet why are we so bad in comparison to the rest of Europe?
                  There is no single answer Ian, but many contributory factors which have conspired to change our entire lives and eating habits over the past 50 years.

You mention Europe, but not the USA, which seems to be the obesity capital of the world at present.

The reason why the UK fares so badly, I suspect, is that most other European (and Asian) countries have their own fast foods, which are much healthier than the American dominated fast food market which has established itself here.

The internet and computers are a major factor, but television got there first, with commercial channels in particular majoring on populist programmes to maximise advertising revenue, resulting in some families spending entire evenings watching a diet of soaps and popularity contests.

Then there is the motor car, and the demise of public transport in rural areas, which has resulted in people of all ages being carted from door to door in their hermetically sealed, germ free tin boxes rather than walking ten minutes to the bus stop and then sharing a ride with other passengers, who, horror of horrors, might have a cough or cold!
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    ... being carted from door to door in their hermetically sealed, germ free tin boxes rather than walking ten minutes...
                    It doesn't help when some of those in the public eye and, a news item who preach, can jump in a car and drive literally a few hundred yards and claim expenses from the tax payer. Nothing like setting a shining example of how things should be done.

A typical case of do as I say, not as I do.

I never thought I'd say this... If the new Labour leader gets in, making 'get on yer bike' compulsory,might be a good thing and may even get my vote, especially if targeted at politicians? Starting with his rolly-polly second-in-charge.
                    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                      It doesn't help when some of those in the public eye and, a news item who preach, can jump in a car and drive literally a few hundred yards and claim expenses from the tax payer. Nothing like setting a shining example of how things should be done.

A typical case of do as I say, not as I do.

I never thought I'd say this... If the new Labour leader gets in, making 'get on yer bike' compulsory,might be a good thing and may even get my vote, especially if targeted at politicians? Starting with his rolly-polly second-in-charge.

But then they have Two-Jags Prescott as a role model!
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I didn't draw a comparison to the USA as they are the home of "fast food" and they are now starting to learn about the hazards and make amends albeit slowly, we have failed to learn from their lessons.

Unfortunately many of the trends prevalent in the USA make their way to our shores and in turn undermine our principles, habits and ethics - fast food, baseball hats on backwards, baggy trousers, trousers round the bottom of the A**e, failure of common courtesy and lack of respect - all traits we were once proud of and recognised globally for yet now we have followed the lead of the USA.

I am just grateful for the gun laws of our country or we would end up a mini USA!
                        Ian from the Cotswolds
                        http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Never believe anything you get fed from the media. The articles are written by journos who know almost nothing about anything.
                          Paul
                          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                          flickr
                          Portfolio Site
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                            Never believe anything you get fed from the media. The articles are written by journos who know almost nothing about anything.
                            Congratulattions Paul, you win the prize.

You are the first one to understand the point of my original post.

Everyone else has chosen to proffer their personal opinions on the subjects of the headlines which are no doubt based on what they have been "fed by the media".

Regards.
                            Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                            OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                            Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
                              Congratulattions Paul, you win the prize.

You are the first one to understand the point of my original post.

Everyone else has chosen to proffer their personal opinions on the subjects of the headlines which are no doubt based on what they have been "fed by the media".

Regards.
                              Ah - I win a prize then! I'll PM you my address

Whenever I see or hear something in the media that covers a topic I know well, my 100% experience is that it's ALWAYS WRONG. The only conclusion I can draw is that when an article is covering something of which I'm ignorant, then that too must also be wrong. This view has been amplified on the few occasions I've had over my life where I've met journalists. They are usually superficial and uninterested in anything resembling facts - all they care for is the headline and deadline!
                              Paul
                              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                              flickr
                              Portfolio Site
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X