Good news, Bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news, Bad news

The good news - we have finally identified what has been causing my muscle wasting and joint problems that caused me to sell on my lovely Olympus system at the end of last year. It turned out to be a rare side effect of one of the drugs I have to take daily for the last 6 years or so. Now I have stopped taking it my the problem has gone and I'm slowly getting my strength and flexibility back

The bad news - I wish we had found this out earlier then I wouldn't have sold all my gear, now I have to resist the temptation of all those lovely new lenses coming out!

(When I suggested I maybe buy back my old system Pam gave me a most peculiar look )

Re: Good news, Bad news

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
    now I have to resist the temptation of all those lovely new lenses coming out!
    Go on, you need those new lenses to celebrate getting your strength back! Look on it as an oppurtunity to get top quality glass!

Comment

La La La, I'm not listening Mike

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your muscle wasting and joint problems, Brian.

Unfortunately all drugs have side effects, but like you say, having ceased taking it the problem has gone away.

Glad to know that you are now getting your strength back.
        My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
        The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
        On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

thanks Mark, I think the frustration was that the problem had been getting progressively worse over the last few years and nothing was spotted that could be causing it apart from degeneration from old age (I had asked quite a while ago whether it was a possible drug side effect as I am on a daily cocktail of 6 separate medications and as you say, all drugs can have side effects, but I was told categorically that was not the case)

It was a real relief that the cause was eventually found and things seem to be improving rapidly

Comment

It's good to hear you have found the problem and your strength is improving. It takes quite a while to identify side effects as they affect some people and not others plus doctors are not always on the ball with pointing out which side effects will affect you depending on what condition you have (from experience). The worst cases involve Trigenic Neuralgia known as suicide pain. Some poor sods had all their teeth taken out thinking they had toothache only to find out later it wasn't.
            Hope you get back to normal strength soon.
            http://psdfiles.graphics/

Comment

The question is, can they prescribe an alternative drug to do what the other one did, but without the side effects?

I can empathise with you because some time ago a Parkinsons drug that I had been taking for several years without problems suddenly caused a number of serious side effects, which led my GP to suspect angina and my neurologist to suspect multiple system atrophy (a rare disease with very similar symptoms to Parkinsons, but fatal) Had this been true I would probably be dead by now as I would be past the limit of life expectancy. Only after an angiogram at the local hospital and a week of intensive tests in a London hospital was these possibilities ruled out and the drugs themselves came under the spotlight. It was the fact that I had been taking them for so long without side effects that made it so difficult to identify them as the problem. Luckily there was an effective alternative.

I'm glad that your problem has been identified and I hope that this allows you to keep more involved in photography. After what you've been through, I think a further investment in some quality Olympus gear is thoroughly deserved!
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I suppose the way to look at it is that you are still alive. Selling your camera kit could be a small price to pay; someone whom I know has MS. He's 30-something now, and not expected to live much past 40s. I'm sure he'd sell his camera kit for some more years of life.

Comment

Very true Keith, in fact even at my worst I'm grateful to be alive as I was expected to either die or be permanently disabled following a major motorcycle accident in my late teens, so I've really been living on borrowed time for all these years (its just difficult to remember sometimes when you feel your fitness being stolen from you and nobody knows why)

John, they are not replacing the drug as the only other option is warfarin and as it was only a "precautionary" medication following a TIA about 10 years ago he and I have decided it isn't worth the risk, based on the low probability of recurrence (I think the best estimate was that taking Clopidogrel reduces the probability of a future stroke by 11% and as the probability of me having a stroke is estimated at less than 20% the improvement was from 20% ish to 18% ish against a 100% proven reduction in quality of life from continuing to use it)

We had a "gallop" around Hengistbury Head this morning and I got back feeling better than when I started - the first time in over 3 years that has happened - it felt amazing

Comment

First the good news: Great to hear that the problem has been identified and that you're getting your strength back Brian, I look forward to seeing photographs from your future jaunts.

Second, even more good news: The 40-150 Pro and MC-14 are great to use and have dropped in price. Olympus have just announced the 7-14 mm MZ lens will soon be available and the 300 mm MZ lens is on the horizon.

All together, life just keeps getting better.

Dave

Comment

We had a "gallop" around Hengistbury Head this morning and I got back feeling better than when I started - the first time in over 3 years that has happened - it felt amazing
                      Great that you're feeling that much better!

Comment

La La La, I'm not listening Mike
                        It is well known that huge, fast telephotos double as barbells to build up your muscles.

Harold
                        The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Can you not get the doctor to give you a script to get a body and a selection of lenses to build you up after your side effect problem? It seems only fair as your problem came from the last lot he gave you. Suggest something light like an EM1 and light lens building up to the 40-150 2.8 and then the 300 f4. Glad to hear you are on the road back to health.
                          Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                            It is well known that huge, fast telephotos double as barbells to build up your muscles.

Harold
                            you are EVIL Harold (must try that one on Pam, when I'm out of range )

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                              Can you not get the doctor to give you a script to get a body and a selection of lenses to build you up after your side effect problem? It seems only fair as your problem came from the last lot he gave you. Suggest something light like an EM1 and light lens building up to the 40-150 2.8 and then the 300 f4. Glad to hear you are on the road back to health.

Now that is a great idea, I wonder if I can blag that (I have got a BSC of the bovine excreta certificate kind )

Comment

Working...
                              X