Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Question Time (Political)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
    And some are more porcine than others, too....and they ain't called Napoleon, either!
    And others won't eat pork at all!

I received an email from my brother in Australia this morning, commenting on our impending election and the political situation there, as follows:
    "I think you have a not dissimilar problem to us although on balance you have a better conservative PM than we do. Most people, even his supporters agree he would be not such a bad PM if only he kept his mouth firmly shut at all times, especially at meal-times and when drink is available."

So it seems we are not alone in our woes!
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      And others won't eat pork at all!

I received an email from my brother in Australia this morning, commenting on our impending election and the political situation there, as follows:
      "I think you have a not dissimilar problem to us although on balance you have a better conservative PM than we do. Most people, even his supporters agree he would be not such a bad PM if only he kept his mouth firmly shut at all times, especially at meal-times and when drink is available."

So it seems we are not alone in our woes!
      Perhaps we could say the same thing....oooh, I don't know, though! Of course, we, and the Aussies, could have had someone like Ms Palin....and we might, yet get one...if you see what I mean...

Having said that, we (perhaps unlike the Aussies?) have a Chancellor who doesn't understand economics....methinks..... If he did, he would know that austerity isn't the cure for the aftermath of the banking crisis; trying to reduce the deficit with austerity causes an increase in the National Debt, because it reduces the tax take, and increases government spending (e.g. on benefits). So, OK, the deficit can be reduced up to a point by doing away with welfare; but would you be happy to see families who fall on hard times and disabled people thrown out on the street and left to starve, like in Victorian times? (And, of course, it's always easy to say "yes" until it's your own family!)

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
        Having said that, we (perhaps unlike the Aussies?) have a Chancellor who doesn't understand economics....methinks..... If he did, he would know that austerity isn't the cure for the aftermath of the banking crisis; trying to reduce the deficit with austerity causes an increase in the National Debt, because it reduces the tax take, and increases government spending (e.g. on benefits). So, OK, the deficit can be reduced up to a point by doing away with welfare; but would you be happy to see families who fall on hard times and disabled people thrown out on the street and left to starve, like in Victorian times? (And, of course, it's always easy to say "yes" until it's your own family!)
        Mrs Palin is very easy on the eye, and I'm sure would increase male interest in politics; but on the flip side we would be on to WW IV by now had she been elected to the Whitehouse!

I don't know whether to think that Osborne is deliberately vindictive or just inept. So many of his policies, such as the pasty tax, seem to have been ill thought out, and have ended up having unintended consequences.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
          Mrs Palin is very easy on the eye, and I'm sure would increase male interest in politics; but on the flip side we would be on to WW IV by now had she been elected to the Whitehouse!

I don't know whether to think that Osborne is deliberately vindictive or just inept. So many of his policies, such as the pasty tax, seem to have been ill thought out, and have ended up having unintended consequences.
          Not least on the streets of American cities, methinks!

It's hard to see what his qualifications for the job are!

Comment

Recent events in other threads have forced me to accept that political and ideological opinions are becoming too widespread on the forum. I, of course, must take my share of the responsibility for starting this thread in the first place, but I had hoped we could keep these kind of topical issues contained within one current thread at a time, in order to minimise impact on members who do not care for this type of debate. However, it is now clear to me that things have got out of balance, so I'm closing this thread and don't envisage the need for any similar threads in the foreseeable future.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Working...
            X