Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Only In America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only In America

The Americans love their guns.......

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbea...M8?ocid=ASUDHP
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: Only In America

Aarg, don't remind me--plain nuts, too!
    http://technopeasant.org

Comment

The company I work for has an office in USA. Even sane and apparently rational colleagues think it's perfectly reasonable to have 45 calibre guns in bedside cabinet!
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Or under their pillow! Those things are dangerous (not so much the pillow, I mean...). I found an intruder in my house once but couldn't bring myself to hit him with a (cast iron) frying pan, even! Wife and I eventually got rid of him without violence, (was pouring down rain and I want about to climb out the window). Still have the pan though (but different wife)...

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post

Why do they have to shoot the armadillo in the first place? If it moves, shoot it? It's a bit sad that they can't give up the gun for anything.

I would imagine there are other means of managing these animals instead of just trying to wipe them out. Maybe, just maybe, they might actually try to live with them instead.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Well when protecting oneself against a tyrannical and corrupt government, (free state), that has decimated the military they sure beat a picket sign any day of the week. Remember that is why Japan didn't invade in WW 2. America would have no gun problem if guns laws were infact enforced, but they are not....FELONS have guns. In my view there is a cure for that but some would say a bit brutal. Commit a gun crime...death penalty, PERIOD, no appeal, no waiting. There is no reason that some one that uses something so deadly needs a second or third chance. I would also ban the violent video games. Adults buy them for the kids, because the kids can't. Not all, I admit, and was a bit surprised when a youngster in this country asked his mom for a video game, and she refused saying it was to violent for him to play. But in my mind all those do is glorify and desensitize children to violence.

45 in a beside table....I had a loaded one under my pillow, when I was in New Mexico. I know how to use it, and I know the laws in the state I am residing in. We had a wanna be gang that thought breaking into houses was fun, I was ready. One of the monkeys was on the dumpster, (skip), wanting to hop over the fence and come in one morning. Well it turns out I didn't need the gun, 2 rather large German Shepards sorted it out. He changed his mind quickly, too many sharp teeth.

Rant over

Comment

Not sure I'd want to live in a society where it is considered acceptable, desirable or even the norm to sleep with a gun under my pillow. I'm glad I'm not American.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by pvasc View Post
                In my view there is a cure for that but some would say a bit brutal. Commit a gun crime...death penalty, PERIOD, no appeal, no waiting. There is no reason that some one that uses something so deadly needs a second or third chance.
                Trouble is the times people are wrongly convicted.
                There are also gun crimes involving fake guns that look the part but are unable to fire - nothing deadly with those but I've heard they still count as armed robbery etc...
                Mike
                Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                Flickr

Comment

I'm glad I'm not American.
                  Me too, for a variety of reasons!

Jim

Comment

I'm surprised. A 9mm Parabellum round is pretty powerful - it should penetrate 13 (IIRC) 1" pine planks. It's also reputed to be able to put a hole in a steel helmet at 1000 yards. (All the foregoing from memory when I owned 9mm pistols in the 60s). I wonder if there's more in the story?

If a 9mm Parabellum won't penetrate an armadillo's skin, then a shotgun certainly won't, unless you're no more than a couple of meters away!

Jim

Comment

Not sure I'd want to live in a society where it is considered acceptable, desirable or even the norm to sleep with a gun under my pillow. I'm glad I'm not American.
                      My thoughts exactly. There are times I can't believe my luck in being born in England whereas other parts of the world suffer starvation, war and armed revolution, and gun carrying criminals in large (relatively speaking) numbers.
                      Too many cameras!
                      E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Our head office in Texas had a notice at the entrance, warning that all concealed firearms must be declared to the security guard.

And don't get me started on the police in the U.S. I was stopped ambling back to the hotel one night. It was an exersise in patience and self-service de-escalation (and I'm white).

Comment

We're a reactionary society with a minority power base that knows its days are numbered. Anything that moves, including armadillos, is suspect.

Comment

This is one way to take out someone walking the streets with a gun. https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wo...-into-suspect/ It was probably OK, if a little unorthodox for police methods in this instance considering the crimes this guy was charged with. At least it was effective.
                            Ross
                            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                              I'm surprised. A 9mm Parabellum round is pretty powerful - it should penetrate 13 (IIRC) 1" pine planks. It's also reputed to be able to put a hole in a steel helmet at 1000 yards. (All the foregoing from memory when I owned 9mm pistols in the 60s). I wonder if there's more in the story?

If a 9mm Parabellum won't penetrate an armadillo's skin, then a shotgun certainly won't, unless you're no more than a couple of meters away!

Jim
                              Of course, with media reports such as this we often only get half the story so it may not be all that it seems.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X