Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promises (political)

Re: Promises (political)

Don't know about anyone else but, sniff, sniff, can you smell what I smell?

I don't think the pollution in London the other day was - as reported - Sahara sand and crap blown in from the UE. I strongly suspect it was the fallout from the by product they're all spouting.
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

I've just read that Nick Clegg can speak fluently in five languages.

I expect he can also lie in them all!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
        I've just read that Nick Clegg can speak fluently in five languages.

I expect he can also lie in them all!

Jim
        Quite true.... on both counts. YO! Bro,' but Engleesh like wot we speek ain't one of dem.
        It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Never mind the promises. Who authorised the badger cull and introduced single-sex marriage?

Harold
          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
            Never mind the promises. Who authorised the badger cull and introduced single-sex marriage?

Harold
            The badger cull was a disaster, but nothing wrong with same sex marriages!

Comment

I'm in a single sex marriage. We did it once, then the wife said no more.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

The the badger culls were a classic bit of moronic government.

Forget ration and reason, just a stupid knee jerk reaction. Even if they were scientifically shown to be beneficial, the way they were done meant that the results could not be assessed. Numpties.

So much policy and action these days is based on pressure groups/ lobbyists and vested interests rather than a rational analysis of the situation. No wonder stuff goes pear shaped.
                John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Anyhow, this sounds like a good time to raise my current pet topic, the "Balance Of Payments". This was the "Deficit" of the pre-Thatcher years, it was the Worlds Most Important Thing. It's how much money we earn from abroad minus how much we spend abroad. So here we go, from the ONS:

Not a pretty sight, and it's worse now than it was in 2012. An interesting thing is that if you privatise, say, the Water Board and your water rates are suddenly coming from a French company then your (eg my) water rates are going to France, instead of staying in the UK like they did before. Same with opening the Health Service to private providers.

No wonder the politicians are keeping mum about the Balance Of Payments.

Oh, and one last moan on this BoP issue, Thatcher and then Blair pursued a deliberate policy to run down support of manufacturing industry and let the bankers & traders & fund managers earn all of our money. That was a brilliant ploy, wasn't it? The City has us by the short and curlies and are now pretty much out of control and out of reach.
                  John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jdal View Post
                    Anyhow, this sounds like a good time to raise my current pet topic, the "Balance Of Payments". This was the "Deficit" of the pre-Thatcher years, it was the Worlds Most Important Thing. It's how much money we earn from abroad minus how much we spend abroad. So here we go, from the ONS:

Not a pretty sight, and it's worse now than it was in 2012. An interesting thing is that if you privatise, say, the Water Board and your water rates are suddenly coming from a French company then your (eg my) water rates are going to France, instead of staying in the UK like they did before. Same with opening the Health Service to private providers.

No wonder the politicians are keeping mum about the Balance Of Payments.

Oh, and one last moan on this BoP issue, Thatcher and then Blair pursued a deliberate policy to run down support of manufacturing industry and let the bankers & traders & fund managers earn all of our money. That was a brilliant ploy, wasn't it? The City has us by the short and curlies and are now pretty much out of control and out of reach.
                    In retrospect Thatcher caused immense damage to our country and economy, with some of her policies tantamount to vandalism. We should have been reasonably confident that Blair would use his term in power to reverse and repair much of the damage but no, he reinforced it! That was an even greater betrayal - at least Maggie was always true to her colours.

I suspect the Balance of Payments deficit has dropped off the agenda because it is no longer fashionable and the National Debt has replaced it as the favoured stick to beat the poor. Neither really matters anyway, just meaningless statistics for politicians to use at their convenience!
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Does single sex marriage mean I can marry myself? And would that be a tax advantage somehow?
                      http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart G View Post
                        Does single sex marriage mean I can marry myself? And would that be a tax advantage somehow?
                        Not sure about the tax benefits but a divorce could be very painful. Still, according to Mr Moribund, you will have your own dedicated mid-wife.

David
                        The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

After our tax bill yesterday my wife would probably go along with anything. Might have to hire some allowances, though.
                          http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                            I'm in a single sex marriage. We did it once, then the wife said no more.
                            I was all for "little and often" but that never worked out.
                            Colin
                            "Don't blame me..."

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                              ........ just meaningless statistics for politicians to use at their convenience!
                              John, be very, very careful what you say about politicians and public conveniences. Some are very sensitive on that subject.

I recall our Rector telling me that he was severely ticked off after writing to the Bishop about some matter and offering to 'meet at his convenience'.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X