Sticking with Oly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking with Oly

Ok, so I posted a thread last week with some observations on Fuji gear (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36331). It was the latest instalment in some angst I've had with gear this last 3-4 months. It started with a plan to buy a Sony A7 to complement my Oly gear. I do a lot of landscape and cityscape shots so the extra resolution and lower noise seemed a sensible strategy.

So, I sold some Oly gear in Nov in prep (including my E - M1) but then over Christmas I had an extended play with an A7 and although I loved the resolution and noise, I hated the camera itself and the lenses were just too big.

So, I took a look at Fuji and the post above was where I was last week. I was pretty sure I'd dip a toe in Fuji waters, but then I did some deep pixel-peeping and even deeper soul searching and I've finally come to the conclusion that the difference in IQ is pretty small and doesn't warrant the downsides of bigger lenses and the pain of swapping systems. The launch of the E-M5ii this week has cemented my view that I'll stick with Oly.

So, now I need an E-M1 again! - anyone thinking of trading up to the 5 mk ii?
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Re: Sticking with Oly

That's good news Paul. I hope you find a nice E-M1 to enjoy. However, I'm afraid mine isn't going anywhere.

Ron

Comment

Welcome home
      Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
        Welcome home
        He never left!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Just making him feel loved!
          Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            Ok, so I posted a thread last week with some observations on Fuji gear (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36331). It was the latest instalment in some angst I've had with gear this last 3-4 months. It started with a plan to buy a Sony A7 to complement my Oly gear. I do a lot of landscape and cityscape shots so the extra resolution and lower noise seemed a sensible strategy.

So, I sold some Oly gear in Nov in prep (including my E - M1) but then over Christmas I had an extended play with an A7 and although I loved the resolution and noise, I hated the camera itself and the lenses were just too big.

So, I took a look at Fuji and the post above was where I was last week. I was pretty sure I'd dip a toe in Fuji waters, but then I did some deep pixel-peeping and even deeper soul searching and I've finally come to the conclusion that the difference in IQ is pretty small and doesn't warrant the downsides of bigger lenses and the pain of swapping systems. The launch of the E-M5ii this week has cemented my view that I'll stick with Oly.

So, now I need an E-M1 again! - anyone thinking of trading up to the 5 mk ii?
            Good for you Paul, IMO a sensible decision.

I'm thinking of letting my em-1 go actually, shooting far more film now, however that's not the main reasoning behind my thinking. As good as the em-1 is I came to realise some time ago that 'I' actually preferred the em-5 I previously sold therefore a mk2 may be on my 'digital horizon' in the near future
            it's nice having a foot in both camps, film & digital that is.

So quite possibly yes, by all means drop me a PM if you so wish.

Kind regards, Simon
            “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
            ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Welcome to stay. In my many years with the fourthirds and to this microfourthirds, I tried many times to leave but eventually I just stayed. Mumbled and grumbled on the Olympus shortcomings and all, When they increased the size of the E system to the E-3, 30 then 5 and to the eventual announcement that 5 was the last, it was a sigh of relief. BUT that was short lived. The OMD arrived. OK..I am stuck.

I have since given up the compulsion to touch another system. Now if only Oly can keep the buttons of the OMDs in the same place. That would ease the learning curve to adapt to a new body.
              * Henry
              * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Not going to try the 5 mk 2 then Paul?
                If I had gone fully micro and was making the choice now it would be pretty difficult I must say. Glad you decided to stay too.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Thanks all. Phil - I do like the look of the E-M5ii - esp the full electronic shutter. But, £900 is a bit steep. We'll see. Depends if I find a nice E-M1 first (Simon - PM on its way!).
                  Paul
                  E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

Glad to see you've reached a decision which suits you, Paul.
                    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                      Thanks all. Phil - I do like the look of the E-M5ii - esp the full electronic shutter. But, £900 is a bit steep. We'll see. Depends if I find a nice E-M1 first (Simon - PM on its way!).
                      5 and 1/2 year warranty is one hell of a bonus, must be a big attraction to many. It suggests to me that Olympus have conducted thorough testing before release.
                      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Paul
                        Thanks for updating us and on your decision. Its a reminder the grass is not always greener on the other side.
                        Pault

Comment

WB to the Oly fold, I may upgrade to the EM5MkII but it will be my EM5 not my EM1 I still love that camera.

Comment

Working...
                          X