Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Forum or Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum or Facebook

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
    Oh no we don't!
    In that case it must be the age thing!

Comment

I wonder what effect gold loudspeaker cables and high quality mains cable would have on my tinnitus?

;^)

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
        I wonder what effect gold loudspeaker cables and high quality mains cable would have on my tinnitus?

;^)

Jim
        About 0.01% of nothing I would imagine Jim!

I love my HiFi, but only to listen to, not to obsess over. I occasionally visit HiFi forums but don't spend much time there as they are odd places frequented by strange characters.

I was once chewed off for commenting that it wasn't safe to disconnect the earth wire on audio equipment intended to have an earth connection, and then went on to suggest a safe alternative. (This was in a thread about overcoming hum loops in audio equipment.)

I received a number of abusive PM's from a guy who claimed to have a PhD in electronics engineering and about twenty other subjects, and was allegedly a lighting and sound system rigger at some London theatre.

However, what I found even more frustrating is that the forum concerned will not allow any discussion about subjectivity in audio. (There is even a 'sticky' saying so).

Anyhow, I was eventually barred from the forum for saying that I really didn't think the quality of 6' of mains cable (from the wall socket to the amplifier) would make much difference to the sound quality when the power had probably travelled over several hundred miles of overhead wires, and through various transformers and switchgear!

And I didn't even have time to get onto politics!

There is one born every minute!
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

One can imagine the abuse if it was said MP3 player rule!
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Streaming is the new thing - intense discussion over the effect of different types of ethernet cable can make to the sound.

Nigel - did you wander into the "pink fish forum" can be quite amusing frustrating and time wasting. See you there?
            This space for rent

Comment

Reminds me of the words of William Pitt the younger...
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

All of the chat about Hi-Fi forums is reinforcing my prejudice against Hi-Fi. I've never seen (Or should that be heard?) the attraction of spending stupendous amounts of money on speakers, decks and amps.

There again I do see the point in having too many cameras, lenses and other photo 'necessities'.

As a long time Tinnitus sufferer I do have a defence for this. I tried some noise cancelling headphones once and was almost driven mad by how well I could hear my Tinnitus!
                Too many cameras!
                E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

There is no similarity between social media and forum. I am a member of quite a few forum and an avid user of Facebook and Twitter and all have their place. The one advantage of the social media is you can unfriend or unfollow anyone who writes mindless drivel so it is a very selective form of communication. As for security/safety you only have to display the information you want your friends/followers to see.

David
                  PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post

The one advantage of the social media is you can unfriend or unfollow anyone who writes mindless drivel so it is a very selective form of communication.

David
                      Unfortunately there are times on facebook when, if I did that, I'd be in a selected club of one!
                      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                        I can't understand the comparison between facebook and the forum.

Facebook is ideal for keeping in touch with family and friends, particularly if they live a long distance away. It is also useful, if you are that way inclined, to share trivial information such as what you've just had for breakfast, "Cornflakes, lol." Personally, I find it very confusing, with messages arriving at random on my page, all inter-mixed from various sources from people who feel compelled to share their travel plans for the day or issue an amateur meterological report for their locality. True, you can also share photographs, but not at the size you can on the forum, which is nevertheless quite adequate if all you want to do is post a visual record of your evening meal. I know that you can participate in dedicated interest groups on facebook, but the format still seems far from ideal to me.

The forum on the other hand is a purpose designed format for displaying photographs at their best, encouraging comments, and starting debates with many participants and numerous replies. It also has a wealth of information stored in well organized archieves and gives an overall experience quite lacking on facebook.

However, facebook is there for those who prefer it, or want to use it as well as the forum, which is fine - I'm a great believer in personal choice. I just don't understand the logic of thinking that the forum could or should be replaced by facebook.
                        Well said John, my sentiments precisely although I don't see FB as a useful medium for keeping in touch with family and friends - what's wrong with email?

I've never had an FB account.
                        My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                        The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                        On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Its a simple thing for me. Move a forum to facebook and I won't be there.

Its not enhanced my life one bit and as such leaving it behind makes for zero difference in my life
                          My Flickr

Comment

Good to hear the views. there is that thumbs up.
                            * Henry
                            * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Forum or Facebook

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                              Streaming is the new thing - intense discussion over the effect of different types of ethernet cable can make to the sound.

Nigel - did you wander into the "pink fish forum" can be quite amusing frustrating and time wasting. See you there?
                              I actually find Pink Fish quite good Derek. I suspect most of the Mods are traders who sponsor the forum, but they seem to speak good sense most of the time, and I can decide for myself if they are spouting bull poo.

(It was another HiFi forum that I fell foul of, but looking at the comments from regular members it was fairly clear they didn't want objectivity to get in the way of their obsessions.)

I am into so called 'vintage' Quad gear (pre 1990 anyway), which seems to be well supported on the Pink Fish forum. Apart from the fact that Quad is (or was) British built, I like the fact that I can still buy parts and service from the factory in Huntingdon, and that there are numerous third party upgrades for the equipment - all retaining the original circuits but with improved components. In my view the quality of this equipment is as good as, or better than anything that you can buy today, whilst build quality is superb. It is also very understated in a British sort of way, with no glaring blue LED's to burn holes in my eyes!

I have recently invested in several pieces of Quad equipment that were sold cheaply because they were not working, and have repaired them myself. The parts cost a few pounds at most, but nobody ever thinks of repairing anything these days.

To answer Zuiko's point, I am quite happy to use an iPod with headphones when I'm travelling, but a good system does tend to be quite revealing, and shows up the weaknesses of portable players. I guess the total cost of the equipment in my two systems (at new prices) would be about £10,000, although I have only paid a fraction of that.

I have heard one or two mega expensive systems, but to be honest I was not that impressed, and I am happier with what I have. It's all a bit like the King's new suit of clothes to me!

Thankfully photographers don't obsess about 'smelling the heather' in landscape photographs, or worrying about the sonic effects of a USB lead bought from the Pound Shop!
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Camera users used to worry about different film types and chemicals and temperature, now they obsess about screen calibration, printer calibration, ink and paper combinations, both camera wielding and Hifi users are to satisfy the inner obsessive compulsive (geek) in all of us.
                                This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                                X