Forum or Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum or Facebook

FB bombards you with crap alongside stuff you want to see. The forum is about one thing and will always be 'better' so will not be replaced.
    Too many cameras!
    E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

I am not facebook so no contest.
      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

For me Facebook is like a newspaper, whereas a forum is more like a book.

Newspapers are out of date within a day or two, and likewise Facebook posts disappear from memory and sight very quickly. (This is usually a good thing!)

However a Forum, like a good book, can be read over and over again, and is easy enough to search for specific terms when required. Forum posts also tend to be more intelligent and intelligible, if u no wot I mean M8!
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I can't understand the comparison between facebook and the forum.

Facebook is ideal for keeping in touch with family and friends, particularly if they live a long distance away. It is also useful, if you are that way inclined, to share trivial information such as what you've just had for breakfast, "Cornflakes, lol." Personally, I find it very confusing, with messages arriving at random on my page, all inter-mixed from various sources from people who feel compelled to share their travel plans for the day or issue an amateur meterological report for their locality. True, you can also share photographs, but not at the size you can on the forum, which is nevertheless quite adequate if all you want to do is post a visual record of your evening meal. I know that you can participate in dedicated interest groups on facebook, but the format still seems far from ideal to me.

The forum on the other hand is a purpose designed format for displaying photographs at their best, encouraging comments, and starting debates with many participants and numerous replies. It also has a wealth of information stored in well organized archieves and gives an overall experience quite lacking on facebook.

However, facebook is there for those who prefer it, or want to use it as well as the forum, which is fine - I'm a great believer in personal choice. I just don't understand the logic of thinking that the forum could or should be replaced by facebook.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
            I can't understand the comparison between facebook and the forum.

Facebook is ideal for keeping in touch with family and friends, particularly if they live a long distance away. It is also useful, if you are that way inclined, to share trivial information such as what you've just had for breakfast, "Cornflakes, lol." Personally, I find it very confusing, with messages arriving at random on my page, all inter-mixed from various sources from people who feel compelled to share their travel plans for the day or issue an amateur meterological report for their locality. True, you can also share photographs, but not at the size you can on the forum, which is nevertheless quite adequate if all you want to do is post a visual record of your evening meal. I know that you can participate in dedicated interest groups on facebook, but the format still seems far from ideal to me.

The forum on the other hand is a purpose designed format for displaying photographs at their best, encouraging comments, and starting debates with many participants and numerous replies. It also has a wealth of information stored in well organized archieves and gives an overall experience quite lacking on facebook.

However, facebook is there for those who prefer it, or want to use it as well as the forum, which is fine - I'm a great believer in personal choice. I just don't understand the logic of thinking that the forum could or should be replaced by facebook.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

My photographic club has a Facebook page. It has three times the membership of the bricks and mortar club. It compliments it well, but is not so usable as a forum like this.
              Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                You've found a way of finding what your missus is thinking? !!
                Wow - that's quite an achievement No wonder it's so popular.
                Paul
                E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

My goodness, that's extreme! I really wonder about the sanity of people who get so partisan about such unimportant matters. I'm sure they have more money than sense, too.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

To me they are different things. Facebook is good for quick news and I use it to follow my local camera club for instance to keep up to date. However for more in depth stuff or discussions with any real meaning,forums, especially this one, are much better.

Both can attract trolls and the aggression that we see all too often on the internet. Happily we have very active moderators on this forum who do a great job in trying to keep that down. Thank you to them.

Hec
                    I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
                      Both can attract trolls and the aggression that we see all too often on the internet.
                      That is what puts me off so many forums and the photographic ones are as bad as any. Don't use a Canon/Nikon/put in the name of your camera and abuse flows plus thread after thread rubbishing some aspect of the target make. Infantile.
                      At least on this forum we get none of that. Has our advanced (mature?) years got anything to do with that? Of course we all use Olympus gear so that might help!
                      As far as facebook is concerned I do use it but the friends I have are actually friends so that cuts out an awful lot of grief plus only my friends can see my stuff. There was one photo album I shared at a friends request so he could share and that bought in loads of friend requests from people I do not know so I refused them all and blocked further requests from them.
                      Forums that are laden with Trolls and abuse I ignore and do not join.

Comment

I have a FB page but rarely use it.....I know someone who uses both TWR and FB everyday, (where on earth do they get the time), and uses it to self promote what he's done/doing, people commenting and congratulating him on his efforts, which I find off putting. Personally I prefer a forum, as most of the info on FB is trival rubbish....full of cats jumping over cars! people making a fool of themselves, and the ice bucket challenge just got on my nerves, loads of people i knew just wanted to show off on FB but didn't even give to the cause....Forum for me...

Peter
                        OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                        I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                        www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Forum, and sometimes Flickr. Pulled all my photos off FB, they are mine, not theirs period. That is a shame because I used FB to share with family and friends, well I still do, but in messages only. And if FB can get those images too I will stop, or put a big ruined for FB right across them.

Comment

The FB rights grab doesn't really matter these days when companies and individuals assume anything posted on social media if there for them to use for free. Before Christmas one TV ad was encouraging people to use FB to find photos for their Christmas cards. Some TV channels are grabbing images/video from social media for their news and weather coverage.
                            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by Miketoll View Post
                              Of course we all use Olympus gear so that might help!
                              Oh no we don't!
                              Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Oh yes we did!!
                                Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Working...
                                X