Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Free Stargazing Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Stargazing Software

http://www.stellarium.org/en/

Enjoy.

Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Re: Free Stargazing Software

Used it for some time now on windows PCs. There is also a paid for version (albeit at very modest cost) that I use on android phones/tablets. The latter can tie into the GPS and tilt sensors so it can show the portion of the sky behind the device when held up in front of your face.

On PCs they issue specific updates for any close comets as its is difficult to get accurate predictions for their orbit until a week before they get here.
    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
    Learn something new every day

Comment

Re: Free Stargazing Software

Yes, it's an impressive piece of software!

I've even used it to help set up our satellite dish. There was a tree that I thought was a potential obstruction. I ran Stellerium fast forward and saw that Rigel (in Orion) would be in the same position as the satellite at a particular time. I then observed the sky at that time, to check it I could see Rigel without obstruction. I could, so was able to install the satellite dish successfully. It was a particularly useful check, as I found that I needed to install the dish on a different corner of the house than the one I had originally anticipated.

Jim

Comment

Working...
      X