Advice appreciated concerning a MacBook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice appreciated concerning a MacBook Air

Looking for advice with respect to purchasing a MacBook Air.

Currently using an IPad 3 and am looking for something with a bit more oomph and storage capacity to replace this and the 2006 Macbook I was using.

Usage is for surfing the web, reading, photography software (basically Elements) and storage on the move. Principally for using when I'm out and about and when I can't be bothered to fire up the big rig at home.

Interested in others experience and recommendations with respect to this scenario, with respect to screen size, processor, memory and storage.

Please no suggestions or advice to use Linux, Windows, Android. Been there, does'n't cut it for me.

Thanks
    Sid

Re: Advice appreciated concerning a MacBook Air

I got a Macbook Air a couple of months back from the Apple Refurbished store. It's a 13.3 inch 1.3GHz i5 with 4Gb ram and 250Gb SSD. I got the 13" as opposed to the 11" because I didn't feel the smaller screen was suitable for LR and PS. It boots up immediately and runs both the above programs easily.
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

I have & use my MacBook air for editing images whilst away from my main IMac & works a treat, got for usual stuff, If I was to replace it I would now go for the 15" Retina display. It is an awesome machine & serious contender for getting away from the IMac in fact was about to purchase once Christmas is over but now they have done a serious upgrade on the IMac decided the Air is good enough & I'll go for the new IMac 5K

Comment

I too am interested in experiences of the MacBook Air. I have a 2009 MacBook Pro, which I'm considering replacing next year, and wondered if the Air has sufficient processing power to handle PS & LR at a decent clip. Apparently the MacBook has more horsepower, but everything is relative .... The Air is certainly lighter and neater. Can it supply the oomph to be an on-the-road storage and minimal editor machine, until I transfer everything to my desktop anyway, where the serious work goes on?
        Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

My experience is yes, but I am a minimal PS user. It can certainly do anything I want in Lightroom. I usually carry an external USB drive for file backups.
          Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

The MacBook is a very nice, powerful but expensive machine. But is it not overkill for your needs?

If you are looking for storage I would be looking at memory sticks for your iPad (64 GB sticks are now available at silly prices), or perhaps a pocket size external hard drive. 1 TB drives are available for less than £50, which is much less than the cost of an iPad!
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Are you saying I can use external storage with my iPad? Mine is an iPad Air.
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

The Retina screen is really something...my images have never looked so good.
                visit my website www.photoark.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                  Are you saying I can use external storage with my iPad? Mine is an iPad Air.
                  I think there may be a work-around, but it usually means only one-way traffic, from the external drive to the iPad. Apps are available to do it both ways, but it's not what the iPad was designed to do.
                  Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

I don't have an iPad myself, but presumably it has a USB or Thunderbolt connection which can be used for external storage? Alternatively you could use a WiFi or Bluetooth connection to your phone.

(I have a 64 GB micro SD card in my Android phone which I use to make a backup copy of raw images and other files when I'm travelling - on the basis that the phone is probably the last device that I am likely to be parted with at the airport.)

My son uses a Surface 2 Tablet and has installed a 128 GB micro SD card for storage. Presumably you can do the same on your iPad?

If you like a tablet but find the iPad lacking in power of flexibility you might prefer the Surface Pro.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                      I don't have an iPad myself, but presumably it has a USB or Thunderbolt connection which can be used for external storage? Alternatively you could use a WiFi or Bluetooth connection to your phone.
                      iPads don't work that way. As I said, although you can physically connect them via the iPad socket (no, they don't have USB or Thunderbolt), you need an app to use them

Sid specifically asked about Macbooks. I don't believe he wants to consider a Windows device, or argue their merits.
                      Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                        Sid specifically asked about Macbooks. I don't believe he wants to consider a Windows device, or argue their merits.
                        Sorry, only trying to help.

I'll go away and shut up.
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

My 2011 MacBook Air runs the latest Photoshop absolutely fine, so you should have no problem with Elements. For editing photos, I'd definitely recommend going for the 13" model.

Comment

Internaut - what's its spec. please!

Stephen - thanks for the info - from what you say I don't need to be overly bothered about processor speed and maxxing out the memory.

Nigel - thanks for your suggestions but Stephen is correct - it has to be a Macbook Air for me. The physical interface alone is worth the so called "Apple Premium"

Sid

Comment

On one of the benchmark tests, my 2013 MBA (i7 processor, 8Gb RAM) easily beat my 2009 iMac (Core 2 Duo, 12Gb) and is now my main machine, hooked to a pair of 27" Apple monitors.
                              Thomas
                              --
                              E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
                              My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X