This Retirement lark ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Retirement lark ?

after a manic two weeks ... taking down the stables and tack room ...
    then packing up "home" in bubble wrap and cardboard boxes (thanks Argos) ... moving it to containers in Sussex

we then embarked on decorating our home ...

Friday the photographer arrived ... Anon IID ... and we moved "stuff" from room to room ... and learned "he takes the photos and they go "Asia somewhere for photo shopping" come back and are printed/uploaded to the internet ... as its "more efficient" Brits cost too much! He works for one of the three agencies that "take all he homes photos" and just takes the original photos

Last night we had a Dinner Party on the Beach - with log stoves keeping us all warm and the wine and other alcohol ... until we came indoors for "coffee and carraiges ..." at 11.30 pm ... and carriages home for our Guests ...

Mr Huggy Henry retired to bed - tired at 9.35 pm ...

This morning I made 50 shortbreads for the church lunch at Weststoke Farm ... then filled our car with 150 chairs and delivered them to the barn - going back for many tables ...

home and repaired a friends ancient crochet 2 ply baby shawl holes for her - for her grandchild

and crashed out at home before doing a mountain of ironing - while Nick whitened the "tile grout" in the kitchen and bathroom ... for a viewing at 1.30 pm Monday

I am hoping this week is quieter ... we have a chest to collect from Wendover, Bucks and lunch at Wendover Peking other than that ... I shall rest ...

I am un impressed with Retirement it appears to be a misnomer to wear ones fingers to the bone (cleaning; packing; taking down out buildings and decorating)

What have you done in the last two weeks ?

Pete Snaar is banned from replying as he has been "on holiday"

ps we have given up with the Developers ... and given it to Estate Agents to sell
    [I].
    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Re: This Retirement lark ?

Chevvy,

you've obviously got this retirement lark all wrong

Last two weeks?

Walked the dogs.
    Continued a long and enjoyable sort through the LP collection, playing many old treasures I Haven't heard in a long while.
    Walked the dogs some more.
    Broke one record deck and set up another.
    Sorted out and re-installed the hifi (changing stands and testing equipment for best combo).
    Read a lot (currently averaging three books a week).

Those are the highlights (apart from more dog walking to take advantage of the wonderful weather we're having).

Sid

Comment

Yes Chevvy - Sid has got it right. Nothing wrong with this retirement lark!
      It will get better for you, and there will always be SO much pleasure to fill in the days.
      As for me - some nasty little lump came up on my foot necessitating the Dr to sharpen his knife and much time has been spent with foot raised. A boring two weeks actually!
      All good now and looking forward to more retirement activities!
      Keep at it girl!

Comment

I will tell you what my mother said as I rushed around on the first weeks "darling you don't have to do it all in one day"
        Roberta
        E620, E30, OM4-Ti OM-D1... Canon 7D and 5Dmiii
        lenses 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 50mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm, ec-14 still looking for a Bigma (Canon 17-55mm, 70-300mm and 100-400L)
        FL 50R and Hahnel remote (Canon and Olympus)

Comment

Just take it easy. There's always tomorrow. And if tomorrow doesn't come, you won't have wasted any effort on it.
          Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            Just take it easy. There's always tomorrow. And if tomorrow doesn't come, you won't have wasted any effort on it.
            I like it! Words of wisdom.
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Thanks Sid, Lyn, Roberta, Stephen and Steve - I got it all wrong

We had to get the house ship shape for Friday photos as the "house selling season ends in October" and we do want to move to Sussex ASAP

Today, only "mild cleaning & clearing the toothbrushes and our towels (are stashed under our duvet flat ...) and instead of changing bed (done Friday for photos) I steamed a another white duvet cover and pillow cases and "pay them gently on top"

so the bedroom looks nice ... all our personal effects removed

I have to say "its worse than living in a hotel ... at leat then you can take your family photos and teddy bear and they stay on "show" and a MAID cleans

I am making some cards today and painting a bit ...

Stephen I lurve your Motto ... definitely words of wisdom

Roberta your mother is right - now we have all the time in the world ... after the "grind" of two weeks ...

Lyn, I hope the foot is soon "good as new"

Sid, 3 books a week thats great going ... I have a large box of "to read books" ... only it is in Sussex Containers ... just 3 here now ... maybe wednesday I shall get stuck into one ...

It is taking a day or two to "come down" of could 999
              [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Of course you are stressed at the moment - you are moving house!

But think how much more stressful it would be if you were moving (with all that entails) whilst still working full time.
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post

But think how much more stressful it would be if you were moving (with all that entails) whilst still working full time.
                  Done that four times in the last nine years. No stress. Get the movers to do all the packing - it's only a couple of hundred quid more - and look on it as an opportunity to de-clutter.
                  Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post

John THAT does not bear thinking about
                    [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                      Done that four times in the last nine years. No stress. Get the movers to do all the packing - it's only a couple of hundred quid more - and look on it as an opportunity to de-clutter.
                      Yes Stephen, it is a great opportunity to de clutter ... and order a skip or two
                      [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Working...
                      X