Stop and search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stop and search

All these cameras. UK is the most surveilled nation on earth - yet when a street crime happens - very often nothing seems to have been captured by cameras?

Like speed cameras in Swindon - should we be getting rid of a lot of these faddy things?

Comment

Originally posted by E-1 fan View Post
      All these cameras. UK is the most surveilled nation on earth - yet when a street crime happens - very often nothing seems to have been captured by cameras?

Like speed cameras in Swindon - should we be getting rid of a lot of these faddy things?
      I have worked in this industry, and some of my equipment is still used in court cases. Yes, they sometimes catch people provided the images are any good.

What I can say is that most private installers will fit the cheapest possible cameras and lenses they can find. Your average petrol station re-records the days events on the same vhs tape for years on end.. (When its pointed out there wasn't much on the tape from yesterdays robbery they usually say - "that's odd, it records OK")

Finally the new generation of digital CCTV cameras compress the data so much (look sir, we can get 12 years of data on this one dvd disk) that the perpetrators are all rectangular

Pete

PS. If you want to live long and prosper, don't go into large towns at night!
      Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Thanks for the insider view.

So, pretty useless in the form most of them are being used then. As I suspected. Good quality images are possible - at a price of course - but no-one will pay it.

So ipso facto what goes in is below basic spec requirement - more as a deterent in many cases I bet rather than a serious attempt to record usable data - ie recognisable and usable images of.. crims, terrorists, accidents etc

Plus of course the idiots who use a tape over and over - wiping out previous info and getting increasingly degraded images as the oxides die

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
          Gatwick has used a photo recognition system for at least five years to my knowledge.
          If it was done previously it must have been covertly.

I've used the airport a few times this year, also taken people to catch flights (all within Europe) and it was the first time I've seen them have to stand and face a camera to have their picture taken before being allowed through the departure gate.
          - my pictures -

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
            If it was done previously it must have been covertly.

I've used the airport a few times this year, also taken people to catch flights (all within Europe) and it was the first time I've seen them have to stand and face a camera to have their picture taken before being allowed through the departure gate.
            Thinking back, I am sure I first came across this system in 2003. At first the security people used to ask passengers to look at one or other of the two cameras, but this didn't always happen. Your photograph than flashes up at the departure gate.

I cannot be sure, but I suspect that on at least one occasion, (and when I hadn't been asked to look at a camera), the photograph that flashed up at the gate was one which had been taken on a previous occasion - which if true, would suggest that mages are not deleted after 24 hours as claimed, and that BAA holds some kind of passenger database. (I was using Gatwick weekly at that time).

If it is being done covertly, I suspect it will be when (and as) you hand your boarding card to the security person before the X-Ray department.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
            X