Who will YOU vote for???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will YOU vote for???

After last evenings discussion fiasco where the English were locked out - no bad thing - I thought it might be time to take a hard look at some of the future candidates who could be running for office both sides of any existing or new borders?

Nick Clegg....

Nick Clegg walked into a branch of HSBC to cash a cheque. As he approached the cashier he said "Good morning, could you please cash this cheque for me?"

Cashier: "It would be my pleasure Sir. Could you please show me your ID?"

Clegg: "Well I didn’t bring my ID with me as I didn't think there was any need to. I am Nick Clegg, the Deputy Prime Minister

Cashier: "I’m sorry, but with all the regulations, monitoring, of the banks because of impostors and forgers, etc. I must insist on proof of identity."

Clegg: "Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am."

Cashier: "I am sorry Deputy Prime Minister but these are the bank rules and I must follow them."

Clegg: "I need this cheque cashed."

Cashier: "Perhaps there’s another way: One day Colin Montgomery came into the bank without ID. To prove he was Colin Montgomery he pulled out his putting iron and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a cup. With that shot we knew him to be Colin Montgomery and cashed his cheque.

On another occasion, Andy Murray came in without ID. He pulled out his tennis racquet and made a fabulous shot where the tennis ball landed in my cup. With that spectacular shot we cashed his cheque.

Now sir, what can you do to prove that it is you, and only you, as the Deputy Prime Minister?"

Clegg stood there thinking for a few minutes and, finally says: "Honestly, I can't think of a single thing I'm good at."

Cashier: "Will that be large or small notes, Deputy Prime Minister?"

King Alex...

I'm going to vote 'YES!' if only for the reason that 'King Alex' has promised to end ALL unemployment in Scotland... every man and woman of working age will be given immediate employment.

You may ask yourself how will this be acheived...

He's going to re-build Hadrian's Wall.

Simples
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Re: Who will YOU vote for???

However the Scottish vote turns out, the run up has had a positive effect here in Northern England.
    After decades of being invisible from Westminster, except when they closed the pits, we have had a rash of promises of infrastructure projects. I think Scotland will get more independence even if the vote is no and just South of where I live, in Yorkshire there is already talk of a move for devolution. With some of the Northern cities burying rivalry in an agreement to work together, I see only good things for the North of England.
    Too many cameras!
    E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

I quite agree. The threat of Scottish independence has been a wake-up call for many, especially the current pretenders at Westminster. The five cities coalition recently proposed is proof of this. This is one proposal that makes economic sense. The surprise, it that it came from Joe Public and, perhaps because of the Scottish referendum has now been seen by politicians as a vote earner.

We seem to have plenty to spend on vanity projects and overseas aid, the last of which I'm not against. However, as a priority, we need to get our own house in order.

I've lived in the NE of England for more than 40 years, so am familiar with previous ill thought out decisions that still, to this day, have repercussions for the area.

The problem with politicians in general, is that they continually make promises to get votes then renege on them once ensconced in Westminster.

Devolution rather than revolution - aka Scottish Independence - is, to my mind the best way forward.

The biggest stumbling block for independence/devolution is that no politician will say what they mean or mean what they say. The comedy where yes, but no, but yes.... what was the question springs to mind.

Comment

Well the decision is in the people living in Scotland's hands. A Scots friend of mine living in Northumbria is well upset that he doesn't get a vote but English people living in Scotland do.

From a purely selfish NE England point of view I hope the vote is yes. As it seems to me that money goes to where the 'trouble' (As in The Scottish Independence Movement) is found. Hopefully Westminster would then start treating is rather better. The last figures I saw was that transport infrastructure spending in SE England was £2500/head and here in the NE £5. A move by the North towards devolution following a Scottish yes vote may help redress this.

From a UK point of view I hope Scotland stays, but the choice isn't mine to make.
        Too many cameras!
        E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Personally I am in favour of having devolution for all, splitting the country up into Wessex, South East, Anglia, North, Midlands, Wales and Borders, Northern Island, and Scotland (or some such grouping) with parliament moving around the country and experiencing local conditions in much the same ways the old Kings of England did.
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
            Personally I am in favour of having devolution for all, splitting the country up into Wessex, South East, Anglia, North, Midlands, Wales and Borders, Northern Island, and Scotland (or some such grouping) with parliament moving around the country and experiencing local conditions in much the same ways the old Kings of England did.
            Southerners again missing out the North East!!
            Regards
            Michael

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

Comment

Originally posted by The Technician View Post
              Southerners again missing out the North East!!
              The problem is, a lot of people in the South East think the world ends if you venture north of Birmingham, or, heaven forbid, Manchester!

The North East might be sparsely populated (for which I am eternally grateful), but geographically it covers an area about the same size as London, Kent, Essex and Surrey combined, yet is often forgotten.

Birmingham may be in the 'midlands', but if you look at a map of the UK, Newcastle is about midway between London and Inverness. Indeed, I once took a train to Inverness (fantastic journey BTW), which took about six hours from Darlington.

As for Scottish independence, we were there on holiday on the West Coast just three weeks ago, and I have to say the differences in culture alone seem to make independence almost inevitable at some point. Where else can one safely leave a car parked with keys in the ignition and windows open, or have a house without a front door key?

I for one hope the Scots vote to stay in the UK, but if they vote for independence I would wish them good luck. However, if they choose the latter I hope they do so for the people of Scotland, and not to boost the egos of Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

If the Scots don't think they get a good deal from Westminster then they should try living in rural Lincolnshire - at least Scotland has got a decent Motorway or two.
                PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
                  If the Scots don't think they get a good deal from Westminster then they should try living in rural Lincolnshire - at least Scotland has got a decent Motorway or two.
                  But the A1 north of Newcastle is still predominantly single carriageway!
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
                    The main motorway link from the south is the M74. Considering the nuclear sub base is on that side of Scotland it should come as no surprise.
                    All in all, including the A/M74, I think they have four or five decent lengths of M routes mostly north of the M8 between Glasgow and Edinburgh so the Teuchtars can get from the bothies to work and get home quicker.

As NN has said, the A1 is mainly dual-carriageway. Going any other route is practically single lane all the way.

Comment

"The problem with politicians in general, is that they continually make promises to get votes then renege on them once ensconced in Westminster."

I think Wally you are being naive to think this will change, I will just change the sentence slightly:

"The problem with politicians in general, is that they continually make promises to get votes then renege on them once ensconced in Edinburgh "

A politician is a politician, they are not there for the people that voted for them.

Steve
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/smj41/

Comment

^ You are of course quite correct and I stand correctedas It makes no difference where politicians are based.

Probably more to the point is that of late, we have a breed of politicians who are there to take as much as they can out of the system, rather than to give as much as they can.

In the 60's, JFK said the much the same thing but did so more eloquently.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                          ^ You are of course quite correct and I stand correctedas It makes no difference where politicians are based.

Probably more to the point is that of late, we have a breed of politicians who are there to take as much as they can out of the system, rather than to give as much as they can.

In the 60's, JFK said the much the same thing but did so more eloquently.
                          Most politicians are lawyers.

How do you know when a lawyer is lying? His/her lips are moving!
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

On the subject of geography, if I am asked where I live nowadays I always reply 'Durham'.

Many people from the south don't seem to know where Durham is, so I tell them it is near to Newcastle. However, I am amazed how many southerners then say "oh, isn't that in Scotland?".

No it isn't in Scotland. It isn't even that close to Scotland, as the border north of Berwick on Tweed is about seventy miles away!
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Silly Nigel, Newcastle is in County Down! Now who is confused? When I give my address over a phone I am nearly always moved to England.
                              Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Working...
                              X