Clear All

Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

Thank you!
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
      I do like the growl and grunt of a good diesel, but it's a different matter when they're crippled by a DPF.

The Yeti has now passed through customs and I collect it Monday afternoon.
      I've never had a problem with the DPF, except that it pongs if you happen to stop when the DPF is regenerating. However, they can be very expensive to replace on cars that are only ever driven slowly, or over short distances.

(I presume that Volvo and Toyota don't fit them for that reason! )

There have also been some odd problems of lube oil becoming contaminated with fuel oil owing to 'failed regeneration'.

The development of petrol engines seemed to have stopped for a while with the rush to diesel, but there have been some promising new petrol engines coming out recently.

However, I do wonder why it took so long for motor manufacturers to put their efforts into developing fuel efficient cars and engines? The influence of 'big oil' perhaps?
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I thought they were compulsory on all diesels now?

Anyway, most of my journeys are so short as to not even allow regen to start. And to do a longer journey just for that's sake seems counter-productive.
        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
          I thought they were compulsory on all diesels now?
          Not all, and not yet I don't think. I still see new diesels pumping out black smoke from their exhausts.

As far as I know the EU legislation requiring diesels to be fitted with DPF systems comes into force next year.

At present I think the legislation only applies to new cars with larger diesel engines, (just as motorcycles are exempt), or is voluntary; but new cars with smaller diesel engines will need to have DPF systems fitted from 2015 onwards.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Picked it up yesterday, and it's all that I hoped for and more.

I'll post photos as soon as I can, but there's a film crew just now so I can't get to my usual posing position! (they do good bacon butties, though!)
            Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Working...
            X