Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Favourite places where we take photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite places where we take photographs

Thought I would start a new thread to share our favourite places. I shall make a start and lets see what we can build - you never know you might find others getting some inspiration from the postings.

I started shooting at Broadmarsh, Havant but now have moved on to Southmoor. Here is a picture of Broadmarsh, from Southmoor. Two rivers flow into Langstone harbour , the estuary being in the forground.

This view is looking North. Farlington Marshes (a famous RSPB site) lie to the left of Broadmarsh and forms the Northern shore of the harbour.The Estuary area is good for photography as the distance between the shore lines is not great.

My next favourite location is Budds Farm Lake, Southmoor. Lots going on here with resident and migratory birds flying in and out.I take my photos from the hill (locally known as the mound) which gives a very good view of the lake albeit about 200yds away. Long telephoto is essential.

If this goes OK then I shall post some more images. I would like this thread to be shared by others adding to it if you wish. At least this gets me away from wildlife photography

Peter

Peter
    Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Re: Favourite places where we take photographs

Ok Peter, I'll join in with this one (good idea for a thread - it might give me more ideas for places to go ):

Apart from the Hawk Conservancy Trust - which I'll bore you all rigid with later , another place I 'discovered' this year was Old Winchester Hill in Hampshire. It's owned by English Nature, and is a 'spotlight national nature reserve'. The following photos I took were taken on a pretty grotty day in August (as they all were, I seem to remember ), but I've really fallen in love with the place - solitude and nature, all together in one place, but not far from the hustle of modern life.

A general view, looking towards the hill fort:

Up on the fort itself:

A view at the top - the whole area was a carpet of wild flowers:

Just one of the many species seen during the summer - Small Skipper

Finally - not a good photo (only had the 50-200mm with me ), but you don't often get the chance to look down on a Kestrel hovering:

Comment

Recently discovered: St Cross Hospital (almshouses) southern edge of Winchester..

Halifax, Yorkshire: The Piece Hall and the Borough Market

and here's a confession of lazyness: Our back garden..
      Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
        and here's a confession of lazyness: Our back garden..
        Tee hee - or 'Ourgate', as it's called in my household .

Comment

Thank you both. Some great pictures covering a wide area. If someone wants to get more info and/or get directions, I am sure the posters will oblige.

Peter
          Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Hi Peter

A couple from yesterday morning, (very very early) I was trying to make the most of the early light.
            The pictures show Ditchling Common on the East/West Sussex border.

Comment

Originally posted by ndl0071 View Post
              Hi Peter

A couple from yesterday morning, (very very early) I was trying to make the most of the early light.
              The pictures show Ditchling Common on the East/West Sussex border.

Thanks. Early morning/late afternoon light is something special, particularly at this time of the year with the leaves turning. The light at this time of day enhances the colours so well. Now, I can imagine what it would be like on a cold frosty morning, with the mist and ice crystals. There I go again....

Could you say a little more about the common - what could we expect to see etc. Its not too far from my patch.

Peter
              Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Hi Peter

I think this link will tell you all you need, it's quite a peaceful place.
                http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/leisure...tchlingcommon/

A couple more to wet your appitite!!

Cheers
                Neil

Comment

Thanks Neil. Looks like I can take my dog so its now on my itinery. Its about an hour away - not too far.

Thanks for the pictures, they just about sold it to me.

Peter
                  Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Ashridge Estate - so many tracks to walk each turn with a different aspect and a bonus with the wild deer. Both these pix taken today.

Light Shafts - after tracking deer for about six miles this was a bonus shot.

Misty morning on the golf course with the forest in the background. The grass is obviously greener where she shouldn't be.

Regards. Barr1e
                    Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

City centre Manchester.
                      Interesting, but not surprising that people are attracted to 'views'.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

The Lake District - on days like this, it is a very inspiring place. This is a panorama of the Newlands Valley made up of 8 images put together with Autostitch.

Comment

Thanks Barrie Looks to be an ideal spot for deer and walking. Do you not worry about ticks though? I stopped taking my dog to the woods this year and as a result have seen none on him at all. The down side is that I love the woods. Cannot have it all your own way though.

Thanks DTD. You are right in saying there is plenty for a photographer in the city. I just get very little opportunity to photograph city centres.

Thanks Snapper. The Lake District is one of my favourite spots. Have not been there for years mind. Next year I plan to do a tour with the caravan. The Lake District is towards the top of my must do list.

Peter
                          Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

My favourite spot is the nature reserve at Coombe Hill north of Gloucester,

http://www.gloucestershirewildlifetr...&reserveid=233

Only 15 minutes drive from home for peace and quiet. additionally it is flat but gets wet! Also has a car park.

I recommended it to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                              Thanks Barrie Looks to be an ideal spot for deer and walking. Do you not worry about ticks though? I stopped taking my dog to the woods this year and as a result have seen none on him at all. The down side is that I love the woods. Cannot have it all your own way though.

Peter
                              Thanks Peter - it is a great spot as you say. The only dog that walks with me is An...
                              I expect later to say ouch as Anne looks in on e-group and the sister sites of Ian and Julia after she has finalised her work for the day. Her computer is terribly overworked.

Regards. Barr1e
                              Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Working...
                              X