Any Steam Engine Buffs here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Steam Engine Buffs here?

I have found out that a steam train (7000 Britannia) is due to come through my local railway station this coming weekend. Although I know the timetable for when it leaves and returns does anyone know how you find out how it gets to its starting point, how do they turn it around. As Far as I can find out its coming from Southall and due to start from Southend Airport to Sailsbury and return. I have identified a number of places I want to photograph this train so want to maximise the number of passes it makes, I am guessing it will make 4 passes 2 I know its time but what about the other times, anyone help or point me in the right direction. Thanks John
    John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Re: Any Steam Engine Buffs here?

It looks as though it is run by Cathedrals Express. Their schedules and so on are at http://www.steamdreams.co.uk/ . They have a link from the main page to "latest news and train times" - at the moment it says they are waiting for the final schedule from Network Rail. I have no idea how much detail it will give you, but it should be better than nothing. Once it is there, of course

Good luck. If I'm around when it's in Salisbury I might pop down for a look.

John

Comment

Thanks John I am aware of the web page with the timetable but was hoping to find out when it is scheduled to be taken to its starting point. I assume its the day before which would be a Friday. Now the Liverpool Street to Southend Victoria line is very busy Friday rush hour so I would think they would avoid that time. It raises some interesting logistic questions is there more than one driver crew or do they sleep in a hotel near the starting point?

I wonder if they turn the train round at Sailbury?
      John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Ah, got you. You could try emailing them, they are probably used to queries like that from enthusiasts. The page says it is diesel-hauled from London back to Southend, so you won't get a chance on the return journey.

Not sure whether they will turn it round here. I don't think there is a turntable, but there is a junction, the "Laverstock Loop", that they sometimes use for reversing so they might do that. Unfortunately I shall miss it as it is a rugby day.

Ciao ... John

Comment

Yes I missed that thanks for pointing it out. So I have I timetabled time and the starting position hauling will have to be a guess. I think that will be diesel hauled backwards!

There is a page of mainline steam loco movements which discourages contact with the organisers of theses specials.
          http://www.uksteam.info/tours/lem14.htm
          The note states;
          "Note: Please do NOT contact train operators for further details on these loco movements. It causes unneccessary additional work for staff and is not welcome. "
          Thanks for your interest John
          John

Comment

Try this site, it the N.R.M. http://www.railwayforum.net/

Comment

Originally posted by yorky View Post
              Try this site, it the N.R.M. http://www.railwayforum.net/
              Thanks for that Yorky I've joined and raised the question there, are you on it?

John
              John

Comment

Working...
              X