Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

A Friday Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! A Friday Question

Regulars will know that from time to time I like to canvas peoples views on the really important issues in our daily lives. I thought it was about time to open up a debate on one of the greatest problems facing mankind. I use the term MANkind very specifically in this case for reasons which will become obvious.

chaps

> When asked by your other half which outfit to wear for that evening out what answer do you give ?
    > Is there actually an answer ?

chapesses

> what answer can we give which will not get us into trouble again ?
    > why do you ask the question when you know that we know that we cannot give the right answer ?

Hec
    I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Re: A Friday Question

Evening out? Oh, you mean sending her down the chippie. Well, if she wants to take her apron off, she can. But I draw the line at changing her wellies.
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Grumpy, if you ask the question "is there a correct answer" then you have not only fallen into the trap but you are impaled on the spikes at the bottom.

The solution is in the problem (2012 fans anyone?)

When asked by your other half which outfit to wear for that evening do give out an answer.
      There isn't a correct answer.
      Any answer we give can get us into trouble again.
      They ask the question as they know that we know that we cannot give the right answer.

Quite Easily Done

Comment

I normally choose an outfit that SWMBO would never wear now, forcing her to make her own choice, and getting her to say, "it's a waste of time asking you I won't ask again".

It's a win win solution, in my opinion of course.

Tom
        "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

I suggest basque, stockings, heels........she wears what she was going to wear anyway

simples
          E, Pen and OM-D bodies
          43 m43 and legacy glass
          loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Speaking as a chapess, who rarely goes out, I have never asked my husband what I should wear. I do however, very stupidly I admit, ask "How do I look" when I am ready, whereupon my husband will reply, without looking up from his book/laptop/magazine/tablet, "Fine"!! I'm afraid it does little for my self confidence!

Comment

Originally posted by wellyboot View Post
              Speaking as a chapess, who rarely goes out, I have never asked my husband what I should wear. I do however, very stupidly I admit, ask "How do I look" when I am ready, whereupon my husband will reply, without looking up from his book/laptop/magazine/tablet, "Fine"!! I'm afraid it does little for my self confidence!
              Well, I suspect you might be a tad peeved if he replied " like a clown whose makeup has run", so what do you expect?
              Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Mine asks me which one of two items she should wear. For the last 10 years I have always pointed to the "first one" without fail. She immediately looks intently at that one. Imagining it on her. Never realising that I always pick the first one. Smug!

Someone suggested that the first one on offer is subconsciously the one they already prefer.
                She will never read this forum, so I'm OK blabbing about it here.

Now should I buy the E-M1 or wait for the E-M10?
                Olympus OM-D E-M5 mk3. Yes I'm ahead of you!
                My Pics Digikam, Gimp, Kubuntu Inkscape

Comment

Interesting - to be honest it has never entered my head to ask Barrie what I should wear, any more than he would ask me a similar question - except maybe relative to the type of function we are about to attend, ie 'do you know if this is a formal or casual evening' but nothing more specific than that.

Perhaps maturity (a polite way of putting it) gives you a confidence previously lacking!

Regards,
                  Ann1e

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
                    <snip> When asked by your other half which outfit to wear for that evening out what answer do you give ?
                    "That one you wore last time. You look absolutely (insert appropriate superlative) in that one...

She will of course take no notice of whatever you say, wear what she thinks you haven't spotted on the latest credit card bill, and will of course refer to it as "This old thing"
                    Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

The question is really rhetorical and is just thinking out loud on her part so no response is needed. If she has just come from having a shower I say she looks good as he is. How much more flattering can a man get.

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                      I suggest basque, stockings, heels...
                      Not tried that one yet.
                      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                      Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                        Well, I suspect you might be a tad peeved if he replied " like a clown whose makeup has run", so what do you expect?
                        You haven't even met me Stephen, and yet you seem to know how I look! Just as well I wear dog walking clothes 99&#37; of the time, and then I don't have to worry!

Comment

My other half has long since stopped asking for sartorial advice from me. She has given me up as a lost cause. I have to say that I do usually like what she chooses herself (creep!)

However, I do have to take care to keep a look out for apparent differences in her hair and it is always worth a speculative "Your hair looks nice. Have you had it done?"

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by ian p View Post
                            Mine asks me which one of two items she should wear. For the last 10 years I have always pointed to the "first one" without fail. She immediately looks intently at that one. Imagining it on her. Never realising that I always pick the first one. Smug!

Someone suggested that the first one on offer is subconsciously the one they already prefer.
                            She will never read this forum, so I'm OK blabbing about it here.

Now should I buy the E-M1 or wait for the E-M10?
                            "The first one".

Ron

Comment

I try the old who will be there because I can never remember which you wore at the last do she was at. The deflection usually works. As we men know the same suit/ shirt jacket & trousers can be worn time without end but the same outfit worn twice by wives/partners with the same people at a function is a no no.
                              Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Working...
                              X