Dartford Crossing - Grrrr I'm so angry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartford Crossing - Grrrr I'm so angry

Yesterday evening I picked my son up from Gatwick Airport, which involved a journey around part of the M25 including the Dartford Crossing. The outward journey, across the QEII bridge was no problem, but on the return we had to wait for ages in a queue of crawling, stop/start traffic. It seemed unusually bad for the time of evening but when we finally got to the toll booths the cause was obvious, one of the tunnels was closed.

I repeat, One of the tunnels was closed and the tolls were making it worse. When there is a tunnel closure, why don't they open up the tolls and let vehicles through for free?

In fact, the tolls have been there so long that they must have paid for the crossings by now, so isn't it time that the tolls were scrapped anyway?

Grrrrr!
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: Dartford Crossing - Grrrr I'm so angry

Hello John,
    I totally agree and sympathise with you, I had the same experience a few years ago when we were on holiday in Norfolk and I thought I would go to visit relatives in Kent. Exactly as you describe I sat in a queue for an hour only to find the tolls causing the hold up. No wonder people get frustrated and end up speeding to make up time causing more hassle for everyone.
    Hope you had a better day today.
    Jim.

Comment

It is a crossing I try to avoid, as there always seems to a hold up. My sister lives next to Brands Hatch so sometimes it is unavoidable. I too would have thought it would have paid for its self by now. I was going to Surrey recently so I went to the west side. Variable speed limit 50mph I wish I could have got to 40mph never mind 50mph.
      Derek

www.dncphotography.co.uk

Comment

It's some small comfort to find that I am not alone! It seems to me that the economic cost of these delays on businesses (I'm sure these queues must be even worse during the week), plus the enormous waste of valuable fue,l far outweighs the revenue that is collected.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

The dartford bridge has indeed paid for itself. The break even point was some years ago. Its is now used as a revenue collecting exercise in spite of the promises that were made at the time it was built.

If you really want to watch the scenery then the roadworks on the M25 between J4 and J5 is the place to be. 40mph would be heaven. Having said that the stretch between J10 and J14 was even worse when they were widening that stretch.
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
            I repeat, One of the tunnels was closed and the tolls were making it worse. When there is a tunnel closure, why don't they open up the tolls and let vehicles through for free? Grrrrr!
            Not sure what the criteria are in this situation but they do just that on occasions. We spent a week in Kent in mid June this year and on our return home to Hertfordshire one of the tunnels was closed and the toll was suspended.

Regards,
            Ann1e

Comment

Apart from anything else, it seems a bit of an insult to be charged for having an hour of your life wasted, not to mention the waste of fuel.

(Edit: Thinking on; do they use the Dartford crossing to restrict traffic flow, thereby reducing congestion elsewhere? There is no way of avoiding the river crossing, but hold-ups elsewhere usually result in problems off of the motorway.)

I have no doubt the tolls will remain as the government needs every penny it can get, and motorists are always an easy target.

Likewise, I can remember when North Sea Gas first came ashore. We were told that would be 'almost free' once the infrastructure had been paid for. We have paid well over £1,200 for gas over the past twelve months, so I don't quite know which bit of that is 'free', and I doubt that it will ever get any cheaper.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Not yet ventured "sarf of the river" (unless you count Weybridge?) and I'm not looking forward to it!
                Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Who remembers the promises in the early seventies (North Sea oil and gas, nuclear power) of enery too cheap to meter?
                  Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                  Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                  Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                  Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                  Learn something new every day

Comment

Yes John, we were caught up in that jam yesterday too, see my post on "And another thing'
                    There was an accident on the bridge side, that was the problem, every vehicle had to go thru the tunnels. As Nigel wrote, 'it seems a bit of an insult to be charged for having an hour of your life wasted, not to mention the waste of fuel.'
                    It is ironic that the local BBC radio station had a debate on the crossing and the presenter got stuck in the jam with us.
                    We need to put pressure on the gov to get it sorted, either ban all motor vehicles or put anothe crossing over the river.
                    sigpicDave

Comment

I live in Rainham. For many, many years, I worked in Woolwich and Sevenoaks...

I have countless stories of the DRC. I also have on many occasions, complained about the blaitent disregard of This

They always have an excuse and no body (individual or "Government") acts against them. I wonder why?
                      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                        I live in Rainham. For many, many years, I worked in Woolwich and Sevenoaks...

I have countless stories of the DRC. I also have on many occasions, complained about the blaitent disregard of This

They always have an excuse and no body (individual or "Government") acts against them. I wonder why?
                        Unfortunately, when money is involved common sense is often trampled underfoot!

I'm against the principle of tolls on any major routes because of the unavoidable delays and congestion they cause and also because we pay enough road fund licence and fuel duty anyway.

It seems ironic that the Government consider it of vital economic importance to invest around fifty billion pounds in a high speed rail system that will broadly reduce inter-city travel times by between 30 minutes and one hour, when buisinesses are reguarly forced to weep over longer delays to shorter journies caused by the archaic tolls on the Dartford Crossing.
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                          Who remembers the promises in the early seventies (North Sea oil and gas, nuclear power) of enery too cheap to meter?
                          That was before Privatization, probably the single worst thing any government has ever done.
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                            Apart from anything else, it seems a bit of an insult to be charged for having an hour of your life wasted, not to mention the waste of fuel.

(Edit: Thinking on; do they use the Dartford crossing to restrict traffic flow, thereby reducing congestion elsewhere? There is no way of avoiding the river crossing, but hold-ups elsewhere usually result in problems off of the motorway.)

I have no doubt the tolls will remain as the government needs every penny it can get, and motorists are always an easy target.

Likewise, I can remember when North Sea Gas first came ashore. We were told that would be 'almost free' once the infrastructure had been paid for. We have paid well over 1,200 for gas over the past twelve months, so I don't quite know which bit of that is 'free', and I doubt that it will ever get any cheaper.
                            Nigel, you may well be right about the crossing being used to reduce congestion elsewhere, by keeping the problem all in one place. I don't think that is being too cynical.

Sadly, consumer energy prices will never fall, even if whoesale prices do, until the government of the day has the courage to cap prices by legislation, backed up with excess profit taxes and heavy fines for over pricing.
                            John

Comment

Surprised nobody has apparently commented on the news this week that they are going to use number plate recognition to do away with the toll barriers. The controversy is that foreign vehicles may be able to get away with not paying.

I have been through Dartford without having to pay - but I think that was down to maintenance works, which seems reasonable.

Ian
                              Founder and editor of:
                              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                              NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X