Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

What is the E system's most endearing feature for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the E system's most endearing feature for you?

The 2x crop is useful for nature work as it means I can roam with a much smaller glass lump than other makes, vital for handheld shots of fast moving creatures. Also the quality of glass, the weatherproofing and very importantly the best IS in the business!
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

It works.

Comment

Originally posted by davidsa View Post
        It works.
        Oh Yess I agree
        just wish i worked as well as my camera
        Cheers

Mick

Petroleums Hey
        retired oil boiler

Comment

How do you pick one advantage when there are so many? However, I'd like to throw into the ring that I can compose to 4:3 ratio in camers without having to crop later. I hate 3:2 ratio, it's neither one thing or another and makes my landscapes feel too cramped.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
            How do you pick one advantage when there are so many?

I can't choose just one feature I couldn't do without, although I think we all take the dust reduction system for granted ... I couldn't imagine having to clean inside the camera!
            - my pictures -

Comment

Well as we've got an E-500, and E-330 and now my E-600 there must be something!

For me it was the ability to legacy glass without all the hassles of lenses fouling mirrors, back focussing, having to modify lenses etc etc. In my case my previous film system was Praktica Bayonet and at the time no-one made any adapters for PB lenses to fit any DSLR system.

I got a Pentax K to 4/3rds adapter and modified it myself to fit my PB lenses... then we bought the E-500 to fit the lenses!

Since then I've picked up a couple of OM-fit lenses from charity shops (big spender!) and got an adapter for those, modified a Konica A/R lens, and got adapters for my M42 and Exakta lenses.

Try doing all that with a Canon EF-S body...

Oh and lastly my E-600. What can I say, it's small and perfectly formed
              Last edited by Lord Minty; 2nd January 2011, 08:29 PM. Reason: addition
              E-600, E-500, E-330, Zuiko 14-42mm(Mk1 & Mk2), Zuiko 40-150mm, Zuiko 18-180mm, Zuiko 35mm Macro, loads of Rollei/Voigtlander QBM, Praktica PB, M42, Exakta and OM-fit legacy glass
              My Flickr

Comment

Originally it's was Olympus' reputation and the quality of it's lenses - my first Olympus was an OM1N I bought in 1979. That was enough to make me buy a Olympus C5060 when I first switched to digital and then an E1.

I went with the E1 because of the dust buster, the weather sealing and because the lenses were designed for digital.

Now I've used the E series for a few years (now have E30) the main reason for staying with Olympus is the 4:3 aspect ratio and the lenses. I too prefer 4:3 to 3:2. That said, I'm trying to convince myself that I could go back to 3:2 if I had to: this is in anticipation of Olympus switching to an EVF for the E series. I keep trying to like EVF's too, but everyone I look through I hate.

I fear that the EVF my well be the one Olympus innovation that is too much for me in which case I will have to change brand. This doesn't exactly please me either: APC doesn't make any sense to me as the lenses are slow and the focal length's don't make sense. Full frame is nice but weighs a ton.
                Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Oly Glass what else!
                  Barrie Norman

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma) |Tamron 135mm f/2.5 Macro 200mm f/3.5 | Optecka 800mm f/8 Prime | Wallimax 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens | Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 O Digital Flash | Manfrotto 055XB Tripod, Opticron Carbon Fibre "Traveller" Tripod, Sidewinder Gimbal Head, Manfratto 676B monopod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Head Lowpro Nature Trekker AWII, Lowpro Vertex 100 AW and Lowpro Toploader Pro 75 AW.

Comment

Working...
                  X