Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear

It seems like I have run out of ideas..

However, Serious point for debate: Should we avoid taking a particular picture because "its been done before"??

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Oh dear

Originally posted by snaarman View Post

However, Serious point for debate: Should we avoid taking a particular picture because "its been done before"??
    Pete
    No

Because even if the subject matter has been done before, it will always be different. Slightly different angle of view, different DOF, different exposure etc.
    You canít make a great musician or a great photographer if the magic isnít there. ~ Eve Arnold

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.

Comment

Pete
      NO...Becuase If we did that we might as well give photography up as I doubt there is nothing that has not been done before ( barring modern digital manipulations), even if we think its new you can bet if you go far enough back it has already been done in some form or another.
      Regards Paul.
      One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_S View Post
        NO...Becuase If we did that we might as well give photography up as I doubt there is nothing that has not been done before ( barring modern digital manipulations), even if we think its new you can bet if you go far enough back it has already been done in some form or another.
        On a more personal note - ask yourself this. How many of us have taken the same shots as we had taken previously? I guess the answer is that we all have. Why do we do it? Because we are looking to improve on what we produced before by changing composition, settings etc. The same comments can apply when taking similar images to that which others have done. These images are never the same therefore its worth doing.

Peter
        Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Pete
          Oh dear - isn't this just an unoriginal repeat on my thread "OK", which featured a set of pictures "Too many Duck Photos".

We take photographs for our pleasure and amusement; so if it pleases/amuses/challenges then it is worth taking. If anyone else likes and enjoys it then that is a bonus.

If we are not out and working with our cameras then our skills will atrophy, our eyes will stop seeing and we will 'miss' that original shot.

Photography is about communication, should we stop communicating because the words have been used before. Well that's "please", "thank you" and "hand over your wallet" out of the window.

Some of us weren't born as excellent photographers, we have to work out how to create any given type of image. A bit of feedback improves our technical skills (how about trying a higher f number) and our ability to see our images critically.

This is a 'club', we are all consenting individuals who have gathered in this tiny corner of the web to talk about Olympus e-series cameras, share photos and skills, and enjoy a bit of banter. If someone doesn't like the images or the chat, that's fine, they'll find that the door is over there.

Nick
          Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
          www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

How many light bulbs did Edison gain lessons from before he learned how to make a good one?

As for running out of ideas, the next time you go to take a picture, turn round and see whats there, force an image from it, then turn back and you will find that what you were going to take has gone, often to be replaced with something far better. It's just another more complicated way of making yourself look at things differently.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
              How many light bulbs did Edison gain lessons from before he learned how to make a good one?

As for running out of ideas, the next time you go to take a picture, turn round and see whats there, force an image from it, then turn back and you will find that what you were going to take has gone, often to be replaced with something far better. It's just another more complicated way of making yourself look at things differently.

Just one

http://www.design-technology.info/inventors/page27.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan

Now remind me, just who was it who captured and decoded the Enigma machine

Nick
              Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
              www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X