IRONING Grrr or LURVE it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRONING Grrr or LURVE it ?

I am bashing away with the Steam iron ... sometimes ... free in thought most of the time and listening to FAV music to accompany this erstwhile dull weekly task.

BUT I quite love ironing. Nick likes a fresh outdoors dried shirt or bed linen as much as I do. Ironing is my task - he mows the grass, cuts hedges.

We know Equality does nto, and never shall exist between the sexes.

There are tasks males are better designed and wired for and tasks females are better designed and wired for.

I can enjoy singing along to Dusty Springfield having the music sooo loud no one can hear me (I do like being detached, in more ways than one )

and if angry thoughts pass through my mind I can stamp the iron as well as steam - the item below.

Afterwards I look at the neat piles I have created all over the house ... and feel good.

I do have many no iron clothes, mainly fleeces for layered clothing in the cold and walkers torusers, fleece lined these all come with hanging up to dry no ironing tapes (for using a handy branch or two)

Do you like or hate Ironing ... Due you Gender share Tasks ?

Or do you go "Un ironed" ?
    [I].
    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Re: IRONING Grrr or LURVE it ?

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
    Chevvy... we "gender share". Wifey does the ironing, cleaning, dusting, shopping, cooking, washing up etc. etc. etc. and I cut the grass

John
    But are you a "Ironed Shirt" man ? or a that will do man ?
    [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

When the EU recently made good old fashioned light bulbs illegal, to "save" energy, I got in rage. Whereever I could I already had energy saving lights installed. But there are several purposes to use the generated heat, as other benefits, offered by the light bulb. Simple example, the critters in my terrariums use/need both, light AND heat.
      IMHO there is NO sense in wasting energy via a (steam) iron.

From the radical-anti-ironing-front,
      Falk
      I am not afraid of Tits

Comment

Originally posted by Falk View Post
        When the EU recently made good old fashioned light bulbs illegal, to "save" energy, I got in rage. Whereever I could I already had energy saving lights installed. But there are several purposes to use the generated heat, as other benefits, offered by the light bulb. Simple example, the critters in my terrariums use/need both, light AND heat.

Falk
        PHEW ! your so HOT! HOT! HOT! Falk ... I can feel the heat from your steam
        [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

"Gender share" thats one i have never heard before. Probably true in our house though, as her indoors breaks them (domestic appliances ) and i fix them . ATB Mart
          If it ain't broke keep fixing it until it is

my flickr pages
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/martthefridgeman/

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
            Def. the ironed shirt brigade Chevvy. Everything gets ironed here, even my socks

John
            ooh not sox here ut Nick Kelvins
            [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Goodness, no, no ironing here, we only have 30 amps of 125 volt juice to spread around. But I'm a guy who used to iron a bit (my wife would be more inclined to throw the iron out the window) because I'd get these permanent folds in the small seams of cotton shirts and was curious to see if I could mash 'em flat. The wrinkles always won. I stopped caring, though it was sort of fun making something flat, the hooting steam, and thrilling risk of burns, or dropping the damn thing. But it was much easier to just not buy clothes that wrinkle in the first place.
              http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Ah, if only I had time to iron. But I do spiders and plugholes, load and unload the dishwasher, mend broken objects, and assemble flat pack furniture.
                Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                Learn something new every day

Comment

Its criminal for the modern man NOT to be able to iron. Shirt and tie five days a week means I iron. Mostly my girlfriend doesn't require ironing, but when she does I tend to do it too. I regularly wash and cook too. Lives conflict on these type of schedules so it just gets done. For me, her working a job with longer hours than mine in an environment she doesn't particularly like is more reason for me to muck in
                  My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by al_kaholik View Post
                    Its criminal for the modern man NOT to be able to iron. Shirt and tie five days a week means I iron. Mostly my girlfriend doesn't require ironing, but when she does I tend to do it too. I regularly wash and cook too. Lives conflict on these type of schedules so it just gets done. For me, her working a job with longer hours than mine in an environment she doesn't particularly like is more reason for me to muck in
                    THAT is great Teamwork !
                    [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

I do my own ironing, always have done. I'm not sure that I would say I love it exactly, but I do find it therapeutic.

My wife and I have different ideas on the need for ironing. For example, when we went away last weekend I ironed all my clothes and folded them neatly in my case. She rolled up her clothes and stuffed them in hers!

A little while ago she tried to help me out by ironing a shirt for me when I was working particularly long hours. And then got upset when she found me re-ironing it. Oops...
                      Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
                      OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
                      cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

Roger your reminding me of when I was staying with a friend, and got home early from work she had a massive pile of her husbands shirts and bed linen ... so I got the iron out and did the lot ...

Unfortunately, hubby only like his shirts iron with NO CREASE DOWN THE SLEEVE, at all ... it took a few washes for them finely pressed steam creases I gave them
                        [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Falk View Post

Falk
                          However, the EU left us a way around this ban. Our local electrical shop stocks 60W and 100W bulbs (maybe higher powers too). These are perfectly legal as they are "Tough" bulbs for which there is an exemption....
                          Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

When I was at work, for some 25 years, my wife did all the ironing and hated it.

When I retired 7 years ago, I said OK ironing is my job now, and I have done it ever since. It is a chore but I do it with good will because its my turn...

I like to listen to Radio 4 when I am doing it, except when Woman's hour is on which I don't care for, so I go for Classic FM
                            Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

Well Nick does his own shirts since we semi retired, mind you if I'm going out with him I re iron it again and he does not understand how to iron trousersHow did that come about well he has about 15 shirts and works two days a week, I said if you want to wear the same two all the time........do so, but you iron them yourself.

I washing.....probably easier to say what Nick does....undo tight bottle tops etc does the computery things, and as his nick name is Frank Spencer one NEVER, NEVER get him to put anything together or use any sort of tool, as for mowing as we live on a hill he makes the ride on top heavy so its all mine...........
                              Roberta
                              E620, E30, OM4-Ti OM-D1... Canon 7D and 5Dmiii
                              lenses 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 50mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm, ec-14 still looking for a Bigma (Canon 17-55mm, 70-300mm and 100-400L)
                              FL 50R and Hahnel remote (Canon and Olympus)

Comment

Working...
                              X