Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if money was no object?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do if money was no object?

I enjoyed this video so thought it would be nice to share.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_cGjQSR80&feature=player_detailpage"]What if Money Was No Object - Alan Watts [HD] (Legendado pt-BR) - YouTube[/ame]

Tom
    "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Re: What would you do if money was no object?

Brilliant Video, what more can you say in reply to some think like that, It really makes you think!

Dave
    My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

Poetic turn of phrase - "all retch and no vomit". Must look for excuses to drop that into the conversation!

Ciao ... John

Comment

Ditto for me too.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Ah, if only it was that simple. The problem is, we do need money to be able to do what we really want. In the space of 20 years I've gone from having plenty of money (because I did a job I didn't want to do) but not enough time (for the same reason) to having plenty of time but not enough money (no job). The end result is the same; I'm not doing what I want to do.

It's no different for the vast majority and it can't ever be. If we only ever did what we want, then nothing that we need would ever get done because everyone else would only be doing what they want, too. We wouldn't be able to buy anything because nobody would want to make it or sell it. There would be no banking, insurance or public transport. No MacDonalds and no dinner at the Savoy. No cars to drive, no cameras to click. Get the idea?

All this video really proves is that life sucks and you just have to make the most you can of a bad deal. Luckily, though, it doesn't last forever!
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I, too, like the phrase, "all retch and no vomit." The permutations for variation are almost endless. Just think, we could have "all smoke and no fire," "all sand and no beach," "all beans and no coffee," "all politics and no sense," "all wind and no shi..........let's not go there!
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Interesting; haven't listened to Alan Watts in years!

I built 35-50 metre superyachts for many years - each one going for anywhere from 12 million USD to 40 million USD. In all, I built about 130 of them, so knew the 130 owners who bought them.

If I heard it one time, I heard it one thousand times from these people; a desperate frantic statement -

"I've got more money than I could ever spend, but I DON'T HAVE ANY TIME LEFT." These guys had "everything", yet they were beyond bankrupt in the time department. It made them miserable, and occasionally hateful. Especially when it came to the scheduled delivery for the yacht.

Therefore . . .

I would rather be in the position of "all time and no money"

than

"all money and no time"

John
              Founder and head idjit of the ancient and venerable Order of Photography Is Simple, Stupid

Website @

http://trihelic.net/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnI View Post
                Interesting; haven't listened to Alan Watts in years!

I built 35-50 metre superyachts for many years - each one going for anywhere from 12 million USD to 40 million USD. In all, I built about 130 of them, so knew the 130 owners who bought them.

If I heard it one time, I heard it one thousand times from these people; a desperate frantic statement -

"I've got more money than I could ever spend, but I DON'T HAVE ANY TIME LEFT." These guys had "everything", yet they were beyond bankrupt in the time department. It made them miserable, and occasionally hateful. Especially when it came to the scheduled delivery for the yacht.

Therefore . . .

I would rather be in the position of "all time and no money"

than

"all money and no time"

John
                Personally, I'd rather have a moderate amount of each.
                John

Comment

Ithought the idea was to work to pay for the things you like to do. A good work/life balance is the most important. If I hadn't worked, my 50 odd years of photography wouldn't exist, and that is just one example.

Afer becoming disabled, I tried to live without income, believe me, it doesn't work !
                  The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Money is just the bargaining tool of choice we all choose to adopt in a non barter economy. This also applies to the essentials of life - food, clothing, and shelter. You need to play by the rules of the wider community in order to get the money to pay (barter) for these things.

It is great if you can do what you want and get paid for it - but what if no-one wants to pay you for doing it? You might enjoy it but it will be a very short life with no food on the table.

The philosophy that Alan was spouting is a useful talking point to explore your life but no more than that. We all do things we don't like (like work) in order to do things we do like (like taking pictures), with money being the go-between between these two activities.
                    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                    Learn something new every day

Comment

A thought provoking thread and a question that comes up with most of us more than once in a life time. Ummm....

Thanks for starting the thread Tom
                      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                      Capture One Pro
                      My flickr

Comment

I think OM's comment pretty much sums it up:

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                        The philosophy that Alan was spouting is a useful talking point to explore your life but no more than that. We all do things we don't like (like work) in order to do things we do like (like taking pictures), with money being the go-between between these two activities.
                        It has long struck me that to really do what you want you need three things - time, money and energy. Our modern lives will often give us 2 of them, but never all three at once. When we are young we have boundless energy and time to burn - the hours and days stretch out for ever - but we have no money. Then we get on the treadmill and given a reasonable following wind we still have the energy, and earn the money, but we have no time as it is all spent earning the money. Finally "the system" spits us out when it has no more use for us. If we are lucky we have some money, and we now have time, but are worn out.

And the hardest thing of all is to know what we really want.

Ciao ... John

Comment

Working...
                        X