Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

View on next D-SLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View on next D-SLR

Do you think there will be an E7 similar to the E5 or do you think they've finished with the 4/3rds completely?

Re: View on next D-SLR

I dont think there will be an E7 but a 'super' micro 43 that enables full functionality of 43rds lenses. End of the year I reckon.
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
      I dont think there will be an E7 but a 'super' micro 43 that enables full functionality of 43rds lenses. End of the year I reckon.
      And expensive!
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I share Dave's view. The new camera will be a little larger than the E-M5 to better balance the regular 4/3 lenses, but not so large as to dwarf the m4/3 lenses.
        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

I am not sure what they can offer to 4/3rds users if the new camera just relies on CDAF. OK we know the new camera needs to be larger to balance the 4/rds lenses, be easier to hold and use (my fingers get jammed between the grip and the two remaining 4/3rd lenses I still have), and have more assignable and LARGER buttons. But the rumours say that the AF issue with 4/3rd lenses will be sorted, however we still have the situation that CDAF is not the method of choice for sports and wildlife photographers due the inability to consistently work with fast moving objects, especially small ones, and the 14x magnified spot focus is no where small enough to focus on a bird's eye!

I was forced to buy a Canon outfit to cope with the BIF issue, but when I go out I often like to grab the odd landscape or even macro, which I can't easily do with a 400mm lens, and as I am no longer prepared to carry two different outfits I am now looking to buy other lenses for the Canon whereas I would like to stick with 43/m43. I await with bated breath for some sign from Olympus but I can't wait forever.

David
          PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

I'm with Dave on the 'super' micro 43, a.k.a "Pro OM-D". My guess is still CDAF but with on-sensor PDAF assist. The problem with the traditional PDAF approach is the limited number of PDAF sites restricting the choice of framing to get the focus point over an AF site. I think the future is with a sensor with hundreds of PDAF sites to assist the CDAF and the "Pro OM-D" will be one step towards that.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

The problem is, we're all trying to second-guess what Olympus are developing, but we don't know.

We can either wait and see, choose to believe rumours, or seek a solution which suits ourselves, even if that means buying a rival's kit, because it's the end image which ultimately counts.

As David says, he cannot wait forever. Do you decide to go for a solution to your own particular needs which is proven to work now, or do you wait?
              Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                I'm with Dave on the 'super' micro 43, a.k.a "Pro OM-D". My guess is still CDAF but with on-sensor PDAF assist. The problem with the traditional PDAF approach is the limited number of PDAF sites restricting the choice of framing to get the focus point over an AF site. I think the future is with a sensor with hundreds of PDAF sites to assist the CDAF and the "Pro OM-D" will be one step towards that.
                The latest Fuji cameras are coming out with on sensor PD-AF, so I wouldn't be surprised if future models from Olympus will have something similar.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

The question was do we think there will be something for 4/3 glass.

My view is that there will be a replacement to the E5, there has to be otherwise the current range of 4/3 HG & SHG is obsolete. The OMD is mirrorless so the flange distance is shorter and it eats batteries as a result of all those aditional electronics to drive. To my thinking there are no advantages that the mirrorless viewfinder offers over an optocal viewfinder.

As with every development of technology there comes a point where the step changes become smaller, some say its not worth upgrading from an E3 to an E5. I recently made that upgrade recently and there are improvements.

People rave about the OMD sensor performance 200 -25600 cf with the E5 at 100-6400 that's about 3 stops 2 stops if you beleive Oly have just overstated the high ISO limits some would say just shifted the range. The AF performance of the OMD, from what I have read on this forum, is not a patch on the E5. Do we really need more megapixels, I don't?

Given that the E5 has very fast AF and reasonable high ISO performance it is unstandable why Oly are taking so long with a replacement. There is a view that the reason why the E5 has remain so long without a replacement is because Oly are finding it difficult to improve a camera with improved performance. Now that could be stir a few comments but its my view and maybe I am blinkered.

Interesting topic, a dealer told me recently that the Olympus rep told him there will be a replacment, the question is, a replacement to what?

John
                  John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
                    To my thinking there are no advantages that the mirrorless viewfinder offers over an optical viewfinder.

John
                    John

Although I still find that the EVF compromises the view when using fast sequential shooting mode it does have some distinct advantages when using legacy glass or my Canon 400mm, as the magnification function assists MF. OK you can do this on LV but this isn't always an option, especially with wildlife or kids etc. In addition it can be useful for dialling in the exposure you want with the facility to preview the final image.

On the matter of high ISO noise my Canon 7D is noisier than the E-M5 but somehow the noise is easier to work with in LR4 - don't know why but it is useful.

Regards

David
                    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
                      John

Although I still find that the EVF compromises the view when using fast sequential shooting mode it does have some distinct advantages when using legacy glass or my Canon 400mm, as the magnification function assists MF. OK you can do this on LV but this isn't always an option, especially with wildlife or kids etc. In addition it can be useful for dialling in the exposure you want with the facility to preview the final image.

On the matter of high ISO noise my Canon 7D is noisier than the E-M5 but somehow the noise is easier to work with in LR4 - don't know why but it is useful.

Regards

David
                      Thanks David I have not used an EVF since my Oly C765UZ days so my views are taken from what I have read on this forum. I do beleive that EVF has the potential to be significantly better than an optical viewfinder but no manufacturer has really developed that potential IMO. I was brought up with the split screen OM1 viewfinder to assist with MF. Now if an EVF reproduced this assist for MF plus magnification then I might be interested, I say might because this would come at a compromise and that would be battery power, something I am not really prepared to compromise at the moment.
                      John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Life is a compromise! ;-)
                        Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

I don't really find there is a problem with battery life on the E-M5. A full charge usually sees me through the day, even with the camera switched on for long periods. On a particularly busy day I might need to change the battery once but I don't regard that as a problem.
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I think the possibility of Phase Auto Focus (PAF) is very possible. Sony have already added that into their sensor and since Sony is now a partner of Oly, there is a very high chance that would be what Oly would try to purchase from their partner. Sony's Patent

The New Pro Oly would most likely have a built in twin battery grip. The extra juice to power the PAF lenses and would also be bigger for the weather sealing but will not be as big as the E-X. They still would need it to work with the m4/3 lenses.

Another thing, that EVF can be set to a higher refresh rate. The would enable the view to be as good as the Glass VF. I find it very usable in Panning for motor sports.
                            * Henry
                            * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleSmith View Post
                              Do you think there will be an E7 similar to the E5 or do you think they've finished with the 4/3rds completely?
                              I hope!

Even so, it is going to take a long time to wear out my E5...
                              Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

Working...
                              X