Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Might interest someone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might interest someone....

.......IAN...throw me off here if I am being naughty as this was shot with a NON-OLY kit.

Thought it might be of some interest to the plane spotters on here ...looks like a military one of some kind.
    It WAS very low even though I did crop to try and see the markings.
    THe engines look like something made by Blue Peter.
    Keith
    Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
    Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Re: Might interest someone....

I think it's called the C51 operated by 99 Squadron out of Brize Norton.
    Channel 4 did an excellent programme called 'Air Hospital' in which these featured very strongly.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.

Comment

Thanks...just looked on google Earth and the direction it was going when it knocked my bobble hat off....looks like it WAS heading for Brize Norton.
      Wonder why it was so low? as this is just south of Birmingham and it must have come over most of the west of it.
      Keith
      Keith

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.

Comment

It's an RAF C17A Globemaster III of 99Sqn at Brize.

Two of them are flying this week to support the French operation in Mali.

Details here. http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/c17aglobemaster.cfm

Regards.

ps. The RAF are obsessed with low flying, it's a major part of their operational strategy. The enemy don't know they're coming till they knock their bobble hats off.
        Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
        OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
        Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

They fly casualties from Afghanistan or wherever British troops get damaged into
          Birmingham to Selly Oak Hospital. They claim that from first being injure to arriving in Selly Oak takes just 36 hours!

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
            It's an RAF C17A Globemaster III of 99Sqn at Brize.

Two of them are flying this week to support the French operation in Mali.

Details here. http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/c17aglobemaster.cfm

Regards.

ps. The RAF are obsessed with low flying, it's a major part of their operational strategy. The enemy don't know they're coming till they knock their bobble hats off.
            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Seonnaidh View Post
              They fly casualties from Afghanistan or wherever British troops get damaged into
              Birmingham to Selly Oak Hospital. They claim that from first being injure to arriving in Selly Oak takes just 36 hours!
              Amazing this net thing aint it...a bloke 300 miles away tells me what happens day to day on my doorstep.
              Wonder where they drop the casualties off... maybe a transfer to Helicopter or just an Ambulance to get to Queen Elizabeth Hospital...New hospital now..... really smart and I have been a few times and there are always Military casualties
              about in wheelchairs etc.
              I was in a department one day and the Helicopter came in SO close ...amazing they just drop in and out just like a bird.
              Keith.
              Keith

Comment

A few years ago I went to Brize Norton AFB to help launch a new charity that trains dogs to help injured service people - Hounds for Heroes. The aim was to get a few pictures dealing with the start of the recovery process.

So we went on a C17 and a Tristar and learnt about the planes and how they operated.

A few pictures

I stood in the hold as the door closed up - wondering what the outbound service people would be thinking

The "office"

Allen Parton with Endal Junior, EJ replaced Endal.
                This space for rent

Comment

A very nice set of pictures Derek and very appropriate given the likely mission of the aircraft in the original post.

Regards.
                  Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                  OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                  Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

The carrying capacity of the planes is huge, the hold is cavernous when empty. A most impressive beast.
                    This space for rent

Comment

"Nice" shot of a Peregine pair Keith! You instantly can identify them even if they may only be 10 pixels across.
                      I am not afraid of Tits

Comment

Glad I was allowed to post on here as I learned so much out of the chance snapping of the plane.
                        The news today of the Helicopter crash and the actions abroad make all these posts more interesting and thought provoking.
                        Thanks
                        Keith
                        Keith

Comment

I thought it was a Galaxy but googling that gave me a mobile phone ... -sniff-

Comment

Working...
                          X