Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Are Supermarket 'reversers' bad drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are Supermarket 'reversers' bad drivers?

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
    That's right, for driving forwards. I was talking about driving back'ards!
    But I wasn't.

David
    --------------------------
    -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

Originally posted by DJMC View Post
      No... that's wrong too in a Supermarket car park. Someone drives in behind you and you still can't get your trolley next to the boot.
      I don't need my trolley next to the boot. I have ample space within any number of areas.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ehG_sH0e4[/ame]
      (Not actually mine ... )

Comment

I am afraid I am lazy - I look for a double length space and drive through .... then drive out when I am done.

But if I am stuck, I prefer to reverse in like most of you.

Comment

This one was part owned and driven by me, until 1986.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxNQI3L0wd8[/ame]

Now running in the Wild Bunch nostalgia series, and championship winner last two years.

How we looked back then (taken with my OM-2n)....

No reverse gear.

David
          -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            Spoken like a true Scouser (which I know you're not )

(apologies to any offended Liverpudlians from a Woollyback)
            Hey, my old man will be turning in his grave at that comment!
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              I'm going to sit on the fence for this one because I always drive into a space but my wife always reverses in. Mind you, at our local Tesco in the part of the car park furthest from the store, there is a row of single spaces where you can drive in, drive out and always get to the boot. Plus it's usually empty because it means walking more than 10 yards from the car to the store.
              In the local shopping area I usually try to get street parking (& reverse into it, of course) & leave the carpark to all the other 'old dears' (& my wife). If & when I do use the car park, I usually drive front end in & leave the back for loading), but then again, I usually reverse in the large shopping complexes ('cause I'm probably buying something small & then the back is still accessable where I do park). What really gets my goat are the ones that think its fine to take up two car spaces.
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by DJMC View Post

This one was part owned and driven by me, until 1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxNQI3L0wd8

Now running in the Wild Bunch nostalgia series, and championship winner last two years.

How we looked back then (taken with my OM-2n)....

No reverse gear.

Boy racer in the true meaning of the phrase - that looks like it was a lot of fun!
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Dewi9 View Post
                  I am afraid I am lazy - I look for a double length space and drive through .... then drive out when I am done.

But if I am stuck, I prefer to reverse in like most of you.
                  I don't think that's lazy, that's good planning. I often to the same.

I must say that as an Advanced Driver for many years (IAM and RoSPA) I will usually reverse into any parking space (except as above). But if I need access to the boot I will sometimes drive in. I also work part time as a professional chauffeur and it's always a dilemma in airport car parks whether to drive into a space to avoid having trouble getting the client's luggage in the boot, or whether to reverse in and have an easier get away. This is made worse by the fact that I'm usually in a large vehicle (quite often a Viano, Chevvy) and many parking spaces are quite tight. Sometimes you can reverse into a space and still have unhindered access to the boot, such as when there are bollards that you can reverse up to - so long as you leave enough space to open the boot of course. Reverse in or drive in is a decision that I make depending on the circumstances, but certainly access to the boot is a consideration.

Reversing out onto a main road is another issue. I once picked up a client who lived on a very busy road in Cardiff. I reversed into his driveway. When the client got in the car he told me it was a mistake to reverse in. 'No-one will let you out, ' he said, 'you'll be stuck here for ages'. Which was quite true, it took several minutes for me to get out. 'I always reverse out,' he said, 'and it never takes long for someone to let me out.'
                  So when I see someone reversing out of a driveway onto a busy road, instead of disapproving I always remember that conversation and wonder if that person has also come to the same conclusion.
                  Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
                  OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
                  cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

I was taught always to reverse into a parking slot.

It's far easier and safer to front out of a parking space because you're a seat-length nearer to the line if cars. If you're in a little car like me, it's often very hard to see someone driving along at the best of times, if you have a 4x4 parked next to you. It's also harder to see pedestrians who seem to be oblivious to reversing cars and the like.

But I often front in and do the two car thing, or front in because even if you signal the idiopt behind you is so close as to not give you any room to revwrse back into a space. Or front in because I'm lazy. I also heard that car theives are less likely to nick a fronted in car because they lack the driving skills to reverse out.

I don't have a problem accessing the boot either way. But if I had a load of valuables in my boot I'd reverse right up to a hawthorn bush to reduce accessibility to any would-be thieves.
                    http://lindagruchy.wordpress.com/

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

Originally posted by LMGruchy View Post

But if I had a load of valuables in my boot I'd reverse right up to a hawthorn bush to reduce accessibility to any would-be thieves.
                      If my E-M5 was on board I'd be parked in the hawthorne hedge!
                      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Buy a car with a rear mounted engine?
                        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                        Learn something new every day

Comment

Or ride a bicycle to the market?
                          http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                            Buy a car with a rear mounted engine?
                            Or a mid engined car with a boot in the back and the front.
                            Used to have one of those, a Fiat X19.
                            Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
                            OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
                            cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

Ferdinand Porsche designed his cars with supermarket car parks in mind.

FACT.

Comment

As said it started as a go at people who park with no thought how they will get the shopping in when they get back ...and has been high-jacked by all the "perfect" drivers who never do 'owt incorrect...lol

My thoughts are......
                                It's a SHOPPING CAR PARK...you are here for that reason...forget the ones only coming for cash etc.

Most of the ones that go in backwards try and drag the trolley though the gap and as they are always next to my car then are the ones that have left marks on every panel.

They then leave the damn trolley at the back as it's now empty and it's not worth dragging back then to a trolley bay.....and they do someone a favour as they can have it later.

And I bet that pees off the backwards parkers when they get started on there manoeuvres and have to stop to remove the trolly(s).

Then there's the ones who think all they have to do is leave there vehicle in between the white lines ...no matter what angle it might be at.......if they dare to do it next to me out comes the permanent marker and paper on which there will be placed a load of expletives explaining how good I feel they have left there car.They get one on the front and the back windscreens - placed where everyone can see.Might not have ant effect on them but boy it does me the world of good...my wife always tells me not to as the person might turn up and beat me up...I always say good as they will have time to think more about their driving skills while in the slammer.

One drawback with having to come out backwards is not the cars that might be coming but the people...mostly the doddery old who see your reversing lights on and still insist on walking across the back of your car......it's a road for C**** sake.

Yes as you can tell I have had "issues" with all this over the years.

A side issue as well is the time limit now put on your stay at the supermarket...ours is a right out of towner and we get there earlyish for brekkie and a quick read in the cafe and then if the weather is crap and I cannot go off nabbing Kingfishers then I will stay there while the wife does the rounds.And sometimes they have things of interest......where I can get my umpteenth set of kitchen knives just by attending the display- or on a couple of occasions a fashion display (for wife).
                                All this led to me going over the time and I got a letter explaining I would be fined if I did it again.......where's my marker and paper

Good inventions supermarkets...have improved the quality of life no-end.

Keith
                                Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
                                Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Working...
                                X