Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Are Supermarket 'reversers' bad drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are Supermarket 'reversers' bad drivers?

I was just idly wondering whether the 'reversers' also parallel park on the high street facing the oncoming traffic? That way they can see what's coming when pulling out (as in the 'reversing into parking space' scenario) whereas parked correctly, facing the same way as the traffic direction, there is the awkward situation of having to look over your shoulder when pulling out, which they may think dangerous?

David
    --------------------------
    -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

Originally posted by DJMC View Post

I was just idly wondering whether the 'reversers' also parallel park on the high street facing the oncoming traffic? That way they can see what's coming when pulling out (as in the 'reversing into parking space' scenario) whereas parked correctly, facing the same way as the traffic direction, there is the awkward situation of having to look over your shoulder when pulling out, which they may think dangerous?

This would only be true if you were in a lefthand drive car. Besides which, it's illegal, as is reversing out into a main road.
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

NO !
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

I always drive forward into a clear two-space aisle, then drive forward out again when I'm finished.

If there's a mother&child space we'll use that : the area on either side is big enough to lessen the risk of some muppet denting into my car.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            This would only be true if you were in a lefthand drive car. Besides which, it's illegal, as is reversing out into a main road.
            No, right hand drive too. I always look over my right shoulder when pulling out from the kerb, as I do when changing lanes on the motorway.

You're comparing to the left hand shoulder for reversing out of a parking space. Does it matter which shoulder, it's still not as easy as looking forward through the windscreen?
            David
            -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

Originally posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
              I always drive forward into a clear two-space aisle, then drive forward out again when I'm finished.
              No... that's wrong too in a Supermarket car park. Someone drives in behind you and you still can't get your trolley next to the boot.

Looks like I'll have to start up a supermarket car parking course.

(Waits for someone to bring up the handbrake incident )
              David
              -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

I'm going to sit on the fence for this one because I always drive into a space but my wife always reverses in. Mind you, at our local Tesco in the part of the car park furthest from the store, there is a row of single spaces where you can drive in, drive out and always get to the boot. Plus it's usually empty because it means walking more than 10 yards from the car to the store.
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Shoulders? Reversing? No, just for a check to see no-ones near you. Then it's mirrors all the way. I can see the back corners of my car with my mirrors. I can't see the front corners of my car at any time (unless I get out and have a wander round to make sure they're still there).
                  Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

What annoys me at petrol stations is when cars travelling on the opposite side of the road turn right onto the forecourt through what should be the exit.
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I constantly see shoppers reverse into Supermarket car parking spaces, between two other cars. One on Saturday reversed right up to a hawthorn hedge.

To me, reversing into a space between two cars is more of a challenge than going in forwards and later reversing out into clear space (watching for traffic of course).

But what I don't understand is that most cars have their boots at the rear, and most shoppers go to a Supermarket to fill a trolley with shopping. Is it that this reverse parking is only done once by any driver until they return to their car with a trolley full and realise they can't get it to the rear of the car or the rear is hard up against a hawthorn hedge? "Next time I'll go in forwards" durrrr.

Should they all to be reported to the Police for driving without due care and attention as they've given no thought to the repercussions of their actions?

Perhaps they're all shoplifters looking to make a quick getaway?I just don't understand......

I think that you will find that drivers who reverse into parking spots are extremely competent drivers,not like those who have parked nose in and then reverse out into the main thorougfares in supermarkets.

As an experienced and Advanced driver,I have taught this method of parking for well over a decade.

Perhaps what you are actually alluding to is those drivers who can't park within the parking space itself but always appear to leave one inch on the passenger side whilst enjoying a full 24 inches on their own driver side
                      Benedict
                      ---------

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Benedict View Post
                        I
                        Perhaps what you are actually alluding to is those drivers who can't park within the parking space itself but always appear to leave one inch on the passenger side whilst enjoying a full 24 inches on their own driver side
                        No, the thrust of the thread is all about why on earth you would jam your boot up against a hawthorn hedge, or just have it inaccessible, when you wish to unload a trolley full of shopping into it.
                        David
                        -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                          Shoulders? Reversing? No, just for a check to see no-ones near you. Then it's mirrors all the way. I can see the back corners of my car with my mirrors. I can't see the front corners of my car at any time (unless I get out and have a wander round to make sure they're still there).
                          Ah... now I was always taught to look in the mirror AND over my shoulder when pulling out or moving lanes or overtaking. My instructor also used to smack my knuckles if ever I crossed my hands over on the steering wheel.

Is yours a Beetle? (no visible front corners?)
                          David
                          -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

I constantly see shoppers reverse into Supermarket car parking spaces, between two other cars. One on Saturday reversed right up to a hawthorn hedge.

But what I don't understand is that most cars have their boots at the rear, and most shoppers go to a Supermarket to fill a trolley with shopping.

I just don't understand......

I thought this was going to be an anusing thread

The key point of this thread was the access to the boot with a shopping trolley full of weekly needs and it seems to have been missed and turned into a discussion on the competency of reversing a car.

In a funny sort of way, to me, DJMC has his answer why people do this, they are more concerned about thier exit than the ease of filling their car boots, the main purpose of their visit.

If people put their stuff in the back seat maybe that explains why so many cars show car door dents!
                            John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Ah... now I was always taught to look in the mirror AND over my shoulder when pulling out or moving lanes or overtaking.
                              That's right, for driving forwards. I was talking about driving back'ards!
                              Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

I try to avoid many manoeuvres involving reversing since buying my Skoda Octavia Vrs. The lock is poor and visibility of the corners of the car non-existent, particularly the rear. It's the only complaint I have of the car.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X