Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Olympus cameras are not for wimps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympus cameras are not for wimps

I've finally accepted that all these "Tough" and weather sealed cameras, while all well and good, are not for wimps.

I can hardly venture outside in the bad weather, without longing to get back into a studio, with hot lights, a hot model and a hot cuppa...

One of the few things I hate about getting old is the way the body stops you doing things that the mind really wants too. And before "you lot" go off on a tangent about being able to get pills for it, I'm on about feeling the cold-n-damp. Even the very best IS that we have cannot counter the shivers and the controls become unusable as the feeling is lost from my fingers.

Maybe I should consider using them at the other end of the environment and go somewhere hot and dry. Problem then is, you have to deal with all the creatures that want to sting, bite or eat you, to say nothing of those that simply nick your gear.

Fortunately we now have I-Auto on some of these clever little compacts, so with a good sized jacket pocket, thermal socks, hat & gloves, I may well venture out.
    By out, I mean Museums, Galleries & places where they serve hot drinks...
    Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Re: Olympus cameras are not for wimps

Very intrepid, Graham! Still, I know what you mean about needing more comfort as you get older.

By the way, the tablets which I think you mean are not always up to expectations and don't always help you rise to the occasion.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
      <snip> the tablets which I think you mean are not always up to expectations <snip>
      It's not just the tablets that fall short of "expectations"...

Dam this cold weather
      Graham

Comment

These hand warmers work well and last a long time on one filling:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zippo-Handwarmer-High-Polished-Chrome/dp/B0034C6GDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352739165&sr=8-1[/ame]

Jim

Comment

You are right of course, it gets us all in the end. One of my frustrations with the E-M5 is that the buttons are so ruddy small and close together that even with the thinnest gloves manipulation is difficult. I am fortunate that having been a lifelong motorcyclist and rock and ice climber I can cope with cold hands with no worries, until of course the fingers seize up!

David
          PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
            I can hardly venture outside in the bad weather, without longing to get back into a studio, with hot lights, a hot model and a hot cuppa...

One of the few things I hate about getting old is the way the body stops you doing things that the mind really wants too. And before "you lot" go off on a tangent about being able to get pills for it, I'm on about feeling the cold-n-damp. Even the very best IS that we have cannot counter the shivers and the controls become unusable as the feeling is lost from my fingers.

Maybe I should consider using them at the other end of the environment and go somewhere hot and dry. Problem then is, you have to deal with all the creatures that want to sting, bite or eat you, to say nothing of those that simply nick your gear.
            Yes, I can understand wanting to be in the studio with your 'hot' inclusions (I like the idea of that too ) & also appreciate your desire to being warmer. I have the answer; come & live in Australia!

Unfortunately, I also understand myself how I can't do (as well) what I used do when I was younger. But some things are still fun trying.

Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

You know you're getting old when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                <snip> I have the answer; come & live in Australia! <snip>
                I have a neice living out there. It all sounds very nice; until you hear about the spiders that jump out and rip the hub caps off passing cars, snakes that eat toads just to make themselves even more poisonous and giant turkeys that have vowed to extinguish all humans...

She's a nurse practitioner in an emergency room and apart from sewing peoples heads back on after fishing/hunting trips, she is always having to treat men with frost bitten hands and lips.

Sounds like fun
                Graham

Comment

I must admit to never having shot digital at less than -20C so must be getting soft as I've shot film at -40C.
                  It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Oh, and there would be a lot more poisonous snakes in Australia if the spiders hadn't killed a lot of them.
                    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

You guys can believe all the terrible things about Australia as you want, we wouldn't want it to become crowded here.
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Then all must certainly - at any cost - steer a wide berth around Southwestern Ireland.

A "soft" morning consists of a glowering steelcolored sky expelling heave after heave of rain of the consistency of untended fire hoses flailing untended at highest pressure.

A "fine" morning consists of the above with a gale blowing to cut the nose off your face and trim your fingernails at no extra charge.

The roadways, such as they are, are narrower than walking paths and filled with gigantic diesel tractors hauling even more gigantic trailers laden with earth-moving equipment, all at a flippant rate of speed.

The natives speak not one but two incomprehensible languages: Gaelic and English.

A nice walk in the country is aerobic exercise at its best; being mired up to your fetlocks in bog and encased down to your nether parts in midges. The aerobic part is the aborted high-step lurching and drunken appearing staggering as you attempt to escape the python clutches of the mire combined with the utterly ineffective windmill flailing and clawing of your arms and hands as you attempt to murder several thousand midges with each bareknuckled blow.

When the sun does appear, it is treated with the suspicion and borderline phobic equivocation with which Eve treated the Serpent's proffered apple. Most people immediately retreat indoors, pull the curtains and shut the doors, and imbibe certain beverages until the apparition is safely away.

Photography is impossible; it is best to filch a number of images off the internet and send them to your friends with infuriatingly cheery messages about being lucky enough to be living the holiday of a lifetime.

I hope this is of help to anyone considering such an excursion.

Very Kindly Yours,

John
                        Founder and head idjit of the ancient and venerable Order of Photography Is Simple, Stupid

Website @

http://trihelic.net/

Comment

Originally posted by greyhound View Post
                          You know you're getting old when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night.
                          OK - I've forgotten - which song and singer was that from
                          I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
                            OK - I've forgotten - which song and singer was that from
                            The Oldest Swinger In Town by the late and sadly missed Fred Wedlock.

Ciao ... John

Comment

Working...
                            X