Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple vs. Samsung

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    I did a BSc course in Computer Science back in 1979 at Hatfield Poly. We had some serious kit there - a DEC System 10 mainframe, for a start. I had to learn to program in Octal, and also Pascal, COBOL, and FORTRAN, although Basic was the most fun. Punched cards and paper tapes were involved!

Ian
    That's about the same time as my wife doing a BSc too & I remember her using FORTRAN. I later serviced Philips accounting systems which was using the cards (& with electromagnetic clutches & a square axle to drive the typewriter basket), but I don't know what programming language it was & a later model using a mini cassette for it's programming, but before that (mid 70's) was my trade maintaining Linotypes (hot metal typesetting) & Electron Linotypes with a punch tape reader (for a news paper). Ah, memories!

It was more like earthy fun compared to what Samsung & Apple are arguing over now.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by al_kaholik View Post
      We still use paper drums (programme rolls) at work There are only a small handful of people with the experience in the world who can maintain the machines
      I still have a 1" 8-hole paper tape manual editor. Used it for repairs and edits.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Luxury!

When I worked on gas turbine testing in the 60s, we used to dream about computers. It was all slide rule and electro mechanical calculators!

Jim

Comment

Not to turn this into a "mine is bigger than yours contest" but...

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere as I can't just nip down and snap a picture. Earl's Court ones are over 50 years old. The chap who does all the work on them reads these rolls like The Matrix

My Flickr

Comment

My first experience of mechanical automation was a Player Piano - uses paper strip withh holes in it. to activate the piano keys.

Then an IBM 1620 - could not punch the tape accurately enough.

Really cut my teeth on a Sys360 Model 50, I would have it all day on a Sunday and that is why in spite of living only 9 miles from the sea I never got hooked by sailing.
            This space for rent

Comment

Its frightening when you think I was learning Fortran in 1967 and it continued in use for over a decade. Send the lines of code in and receive the cards back a week later and then trouble shoot the cards to make the programme work. AND Fortran lasted for years afterwards - Change was like a dormant tortoise moving around.

Now days a week means twenty odd changes. Just like the Cannikon empire. Is change always good.

Apple was a fruit in those days and Triumph still made motorbikes, I however owned a Vincent Black Shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom124 View Post
                I however owned a Vincent Black Shadow.

Comment

Interesting thread

A question to put things into perspective.

Would smart phone technology be as advanced if Apple had now been involved,,, clearly the answer to that is no.

Some things about apple drive me crazy (they refuse to allow the easy transfer of documents to and from an ipad for example) but I appreciate the technology they have developed. They frustrate me like crazy and wish they behaved in a different way.

My daughter's both have Samsung phones - because they more or less do what iPhone's do, but cost less money. - From this statement alone the infringement of patents/copyright is of no surprise to me, and on balance, from my limited knowledge I think the decision is likely to be a fair and correct one.

Comment

I think it was the fibreglass that killed Vincent off. Just think of the glass we could have bought if we had kept them until today.

Comment

Back to the future...

I hate PC's and their BSOD and I'm also not too fond of Apple and, if I'm honest, all this crap about 'patents' is just that - crap.

If only life were simple like the good old day's when knights were bold and paper hadn't been invented or, when computers were in their infancy and a pint of beer cost 10 old pence.

Wouldn't it be nice to just get on 'with it' whatever 'with it' was without computers crashing at the most inoppertune moment. There has to be an ultimate solution to loss of productivity due to computer crashes... and there is.

Therefore, as of this date all personal computers in use will be replaced with...

an Etch-A-Sketch.

There are many sound reasons for doing this:

1. No "Blue Screen of Death" problems
                      2. No technical glitches holding up schedules
                      3. No more confusing dialogue boxes to read
                      4. No more shutting down with or without an explanation
                      5. No more wasted time writing and reading e-mails
                      6. No more intrusions from talking paper clips

FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions) from the Etch-A-Sketch Help Desk:

Q: My Etch-A-Sketch has all these funny little lines all over the screen?
                      A: Pick it up and shake it.

Q: How do I turn my Etch-A-Sketch off?
                      A : Pick it up and shake it.

Q: What's a shortcut for "undo"?
                      A: Pick it up And shake it.

Q: How do I create a new document window?

Q: How do I set the background and foreground to the same color?

Q: What is the proper procedure for rebooting my Etch-A-Sketch?

Q: How do I delete a document from my Etch-A-Sketch?

Q: How do I save a document on my Etch-A-Sketch?
                      A: Don't pick it up and shake it.
                      It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

I was wrong about Samsung having no friends in Japan:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19433019

Ian
                        Founder and editor of:
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Ian
                          Just goes to show how preposterous the whole situation is... if the patent infringement was at all obvious all court decisions would have gone one way or the other...
                          GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                            I hate PC's and their BSOD
                            I have to say that I can't honestly remember the last time I saw a BSOD!
                            GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                              Back to the future...

I hate PC's and their BSOD and I'm also not too fond of Apple and, if I'm honest, all this crap about 'patents' is just that - crap.

If only life were simple like the good old day's when knights were bold and paper hadn't been invented or, when computers were in their infancy and a pint of beer cost 10 old pence.

Wouldn't it be nice to just get on 'with it' whatever 'with it' was without computers crashing at the most inoppertune moment. There has to be an ultimate solution to loss of productivity due to computer crashes... and there is.

Therefore, as of this date all personal computers in use will be replaced with...

an Etch-A-Sketch.

There are many sound reasons for doing this:

1. No "Blue Screen of Death" problems
                              2. No technical glitches holding up schedules
                              3. No more confusing dialogue boxes to read
                              4. No more shutting down with or without an explanation
                              5. No more wasted time writing and reading e-mails
                              6. No more intrusions from talking paper clips

FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions) from the Etch-A-Sketch Help Desk:

Q: My Etch-A-Sketch has all these funny little lines all over the screen?

Q: How do I turn my Etch-A-Sketch off?
                              A : Pick it up and shake it.

Q: What's a shortcut for "undo"?
                              A: Pick it up And shake it.

Q: How do I create a new document window?

Q: How do I set the background and foreground to the same color?

Q: What is the proper procedure for rebooting my Etch-A-Sketch?

Q: How do I delete a document from my Etch-A-Sketch?

Q: How do I save a document on my Etch-A-Sketch?
                              A: Don't pick it up and shake it.
                              Hey Wally. I think I need some visual assistance here. Please post illustrations for the above.
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Ian
                                They're not alone. Some EU countries also came to the same conclusion, as did the UK.

The latest update is that an 'expert' basically dictated the rights and wrongs during the jury debate one, so called reason / excuse, of why they flew through the tech stuff so quickly. He, the expert was in no way biased?

Interesting reading on the BBC website as it puts a whole new 'slant' on what is and what isn't a bias?
                                It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Working...
                                X