Venus in transit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venus in transit...

The more than six-and-a-half-hour transit, which starts just after 22:00 GMT (23:00 BST) on Tuesday 5th June is a very rare astronomical phenomenon.

Observers will position themselves in northwest America, the Pacific, and East Asia to catch the whole event. But some part of the spectacle will be visible across a much broader swathe of Earth's surface, weather permitting.

Skywatchers in UK, for example, will catch the end of the transit at sunrise on Wednesday.

Miss this one and you will have to wait until 2117 or 2125.

Whether we get the weather depends on the weather ;-) Venus to put on Sun spectacular
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Re: Venus in transit...

Thanks for that, Wally... will the eclipse glasses be OK for viewing, do you think? Last time, a few years ago, I used a telescope focused on a sheet of paper, if I recall correctly.
    http://lindagruchy.wordpress.com/

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

Originally posted by LMGruchy View Post
      Thanks for that, Wally... will the eclipse glasses be OK for viewing, do you think? Last time, a few years ago, I used a telescope focused on a sheet of paper, if I recall correctly.
      Personally I think even eclipse glasses are risky for looking directly at the sun, and anyway venus will be quite a small blob to see with the naked eye.

Better to watch it on television or through thick cloud.

Nick
      Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
      www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

There's always an inherent risk even with glasses and as I know, sight is even more precious when you're losing it. The telescope and paper is the route I would take to watch. Togging wise, perhaps using the LCD screen with sun glasses might work but, as said the risk is there. Bit late in the day, but welders glass or goggles is another route.
        It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Working...
        X