Fell walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fell walking

Oh dear. We can't put it off any more. It looks like we really have to try and climb something up here in the Lakes.

From our previous attempts I have put together a set of rules regarding countryside walks:

1 Can you actually find all of the route (all of it) on the OS map? Many is the time we have stood somewhere isolated peering at the map trying to make out if this is a path or a microscopic printer's error.

2 Can you cover the route with your thumb on an OS map. If you can't, the route may be too long.

3 Is there a pub or a tea shop somewhere half way? A pub at the end of the route is just about acceptable.

4 Have a careful look at contour lines. They are worse than you think..

I note that Helvellyn, Skiddaw and most of the peaks round here fail on all four points. So, we have planned an assault on a tiny local hill under the "suitable for children" part of the book. If we get caught in a blizzard or attacked by vultures on the tops, then there will just be our bleached bones and my E-M5 to mark our demise...

(No, we decided not to climb Barrow after applying the rules above)

:-)

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Fell walking

Agree with your "rules of engagement".

I once went up Castle Crag in Borrowdale which could meet these criteria...
    Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

Great use of backlighting and telephoto perspective.

Blimey, I think even I might be ablle to manage Barrow, if I took all day on one of my better days! If you do decide to attempt one of the lesser hills where demise from vultures is a possibility, could you post a six digit grid reference first - I'd hate your E-M5 to go to waste!

Small hills I can recommend include:-

Castle Head, near Keswick

Latrigg, also near Keswick and higher than Castle Head but with a car park near the top!

Top o' Selside, east of Conniston Water

Gummers How or Orrest Head, both east of Windermere.

Keldas, at south-west corner of Ullswater

All these offer views far out of proportion to the small effort required to climb them, and all of them I could still climb myself, if an E-M5 was at stake!
      Last edited by Zuiko; 30th May 2012, 12:17 PM.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Can I have the details also? As John has the camera I would like the chance to get shots of the Vultures. Not the ones looking for your kit!
        Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

When I saw the post Heading, I thought it was part of a statement, ie, "I fell whilst walking". No doubt after the beer.
          Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Reports of my demise are apparently exaggerated

We are back from a "children's grade" Catbells circular walk. This is supposed to be fairly easy going. ... In which alternate reality would that be? There were sections we had to climb on all fours and the constant risk of sliding away on the loose shale.

Maybe old age brings on vertigo. Anyway, here's a couple of panoramas for all our pains: The Newlands Valley (including where we are staying) from the top of Catbells.

and a view down the valley on the descent:

And a little beck we traversed on the way down.

So, sorry: No bleached bones or E-M5 left on the summit, just discarded oxygen cylinders and belaying rope I can however report the camera works well at altitude...

Pete

Comment

Lovely shots. Who says you can't see the big picture? You are turning into a panomaniac.
              Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                Lovely shots. Who says you can't see the big picture? You are turning into a panomaniac.
                Panomaniac? Hmm. I know I suffer from Macrophobia...

Yes, these panos would have been much nicer with some decent sun, but I guess we had our share of the good weather earlier in the week.

My laptop only has Elements10 on it, but it can stitch shots into a pano just like CS3 and onwards can, so there's no excuse not to give it a shot I guess.

Now there's a man that is happy to be alive..

Pete

Comment

You have to take the weather as you find it when in the Lake District, there's not the option of coming back next week when the weather is better. It's a shame about the lack of sun but these are still lovely shots. The man at the end looks very intrepid, a seasoned hillwalker if ever I saw one. Is it just me or does he bear a passing resemblance to Robin Gibb from the Bee Gees? He looks like he needs a beer, I hope you bought him one.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

[quote=Zuiko;168704Is it just me or does he bear a passing resemblance to Robin Gibb from the Bee Gees? He looks like he needs a beer, I hope you bought him one. [/quote]

Oh, fear not, he popped into the supermarket in Keswick when the hell of the hills was over and bought some beer at Booth's (this week's offer: six quid for four bottles)

Me? I'm just glad to be Stayin' Alive

P

Comment

Pete,

Most amused that you ignored Castle Crag (route up from Grange) and did Cat Bells instead.

My story is that Mrs J and I were in the Lakes about 10 years ago and met up there with an old friend of hers (our bridesmaid of 22 years previously).

We had agreed to go on a walk with her and her new husband. The husband is a great hill walker, and for many years had spent 4-6 weeks every year walking with a group of friends in Nepal.

As soon as he saw us in the flesh, he changed plans having intended to do Cat Bells. He thought we were too namby pamby to make it and took us up Castle Crag instead...
                      Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

E1, E520, ED14-42, ED 40-150, 70-300, Various legacy including 50mm f2 macro.

Comment

Here's another little item from the day's trek. I quite liked the look of this avenue of trees. I suspect they mark an old long vanished hedge. However it is the drilled slate item that interests me more.

I have seen several of these around here and I am assuming these have something to do with fencing or gates. Perhaps they were made to take wire or wooden rods to keep stock in.

If so, then the rest of the arrangement has long since vanished. Any info anyone?

Pete

Comment

Can't help you with the info, Pete, but that's a cracking composition.
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
                              Here's another little item from the day's trek. I quite liked the look of this avenue of trees. I suspect they mark an old long vanished hedge. However it is the drilled slate item that interests me more.

I have seen several of these around here and I am assuming these have something to do with fencing or gates. Perhaps they were made to take wire or wooden rods to keep stock in.

If so, then the rest of the arrangement has long since vanished. Any info anyone?

Pete
                              An example
                              http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/se...ge_id=SC549318

Regards
                              Chris

PS: An extra vote for Rosthwaite / Castle Crag circular walk - exceptional photo opportunities whatever the weather - Millican Daltons cave, slate quarries, mines, waterfalls, mountain views, lake views, views down onto old fields, glacial roche moutonnee, etc., etc.
                              Also a vote for Honister Pass - you drive a car up the hill from Borrowdale, get out, look at the views both ways, have cup of tea in the cafe and drive down again via Buttermere and Newlands! Not environmentally considerate but easy on the legs!!
                              If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
                              or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

Working...
                              X