Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pnone transfer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pnone transfer

    A rant on here!
    I am with Talk talk and the home we are moving to is also on Talk talk so to transfer from one customer to another wouldn't take long you would think? I thought so till I rang them today.
    11 days from moving in on 1st June before an engineer can visit and connect my phone.
    In this day and age when technology is at such a pitch I just cannot believe it, or contain myself!
    sigpicDave

  • #2
    Re: Pnone transfer

    Yes, seems like TalkTalk and BT are in fact the same company. I got to the point where I recorded my conversations with BT because what the promised whas not what eventually happened

    Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


    Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pnone transfer

      Originally posted by snaarman View Post
      Yes, seems like TalkTalk and BT are in fact the same company. I got to the point where I recorded my conversations with BT because what the promised whas not what eventually happened

      Pete
      Pete, I can sympathise with your problems, but I can assure you they are not the same company.
      TalkTalk rent floor space in BT's exchanges and I think may even employ BT Openreach to maintain the customer's end for them, though I'm not certain about the latter.
      Plusnet and BT are the same company as BT bought them out a while ago.
      Best Regards
      Bill

      The nearest I have to a home page.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
      They're Watching You!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pnone transfer

        Originally posted by peak4 View Post
        Pete, I can sympathise with your problems, but I can assure you they are not the same company.
        TalkTalk rent floor space in BT's exchanges and I think may even employ BT Openreach to maintain the customer's end for them, though I'm not certain about the latter.
        Plusnet and BT are the same company as BT bought them out a while ago.
        In a similar mutual agreement Virgin contract with various airlines for maintenance and service of their aircraft !
        .
        .
        [I].
        .
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

        the ONE photo album

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pnone transfer

          Ah, you are a victim of our politician's desire for "competition" at any cost.

          Apart from Virgin, who have their own fibre network ( and can therefore only supply a service in major cities where they have installed fibre) all other telephone service providers have to rent capacity from BT who are the only people who have any infrastructure.

          Unsurprisingly BT deal with their own direct customers first and deal with others "when they get round to it". This came to light recently when my son's partner took up a Sky package which included telephone and broadband. Numerous missed appointments for connection ( which was done by BT) were met with apologies from Sky and that explanation.

          Furthermore my neighbour three doors away who uses Talk Talk "because it's cheap" (he's a Scot) has way slower broadband than me even though we both get our service via the same Fibre to Cabinet BT system.

          Regards.
          Peter

          she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

          E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
          OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
          Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pnone transfer

            How it works is that unless you have cable or live in Kingston upon Hull or have a connection via the odd local microwave network BT Openreach actually provide the cabling to your house. BT Group consists of 4 companies
            BT Openreach - responsible for local exchanges and cabling to premises
            BT Wholesale - this is the network side of the business -connecting John O'Groats to Lands End
            BT Retail - this is the part that sells you your telephone/broadband service
            BT Global - this part deals with multinational companies and provides everything from communications to IT services.

            This split was done to ensure that the Openreach part treated all it's customers - ie all Telephony/Broadband providers - the same. That means that BT Retail cannot pull rank and get it's services in at the expense of say TalkTalk or Sky. What it means in real life is one god almighty cockup. If you are a BT customer and report a fault - you report it to BT Retail. They then engage BT Openreach to fix it.
            This model also means that if you are a large telephony services company you can buy bulk telephony services from BT Global cheaper and undercut BT Retails tariffs for the same service. My company takes it's UK network circuits and ADSL lines from Kcom as they are cheaper than BT but are actually still using the BT network to provide the service. Confused - no it's just the free market economy.
            Jamie

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pnone transfer

              Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
              Unsurprisingly BT deal with their own direct customers first and deal with others "when they get round to it". This came to light recently when my son's partner took up a Sky package which included telephone and broadband. Numerous missed appointments for connection ( which was done by BT) were met with apologies from Sky and that explanation.

              Furthermore my neighbour three doors away who uses Talk Talk "because it's cheap" (he's a Scot) has way slower broadband than me even though we both get our service via the same Fibre to Cabinet BT system.

              Regards.
              Peter,
              I'm afraid that's not quite right. BT Openreach have to show that they deal with all telephony/broadband suppliers the same way - including BT Retail. I appreciate it probably doesn't happen in practice but on paper it's a requirement.
              As for your neighbour he's not a victim of BT - he's a victim of TalkTalk. All telephony/Broadband network services work on the basis that not all customers will be using the service at the same time. So some fancy calculation is done regarding the total capacity served ie number of customers/total broadband in Mbps and the capacity of the lines out of the local exchange to the rest of the network. This is calculated as a ratio and is known as contention. If 10 local people sign up to 8Mbs broadband and there is only 1 8Mbps path out of the exchange then the contention ratio is 10:1. Allegedly that is roughly the BT contention ratio for standard broadband. I've heard TalkTalk is nearer 50:1 - they simply do not expend more money to get more bandwidth out of the local exchange.

              I should say that I don't work for BT - I used to 25 years ago - and don't have anything to gain from advertising their service - I wouldn't want to sway anyone's preference.
              Jamie

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pnone transfer

                My old man still gets free service from BT after
                My Flickr

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pnone transfer

                  Originally posted by jamie allan View Post
                  Peter,
                  I'm afraid that's not quite right. BT Openreach have to show that they deal with all telephony/broadband suppliers the same way - including BT Retail. I appreciate it probably doesn't happen in practice but on paper it's a requirement.
                  As for your neighbour he's not a victim of BT - he's a victim of TalkTalk. All telephony/Broadband network services work on the basis that not all customers will be using the service at the same time. So some fancy calculation is done regarding the total capacity served ie number of customers/total broadband in Mbps and the capacity of the lines out of the local exchange to the rest of the network. This is calculated as a ratio and is known as contention. If 10 local people sign up to 8Mbs broadband and there is only 1 8Mbps path out of the exchange then the contention ratio is 10:1. Allegedly that is roughly the BT contention ratio for standard broadband. I've heard TalkTalk is nearer 50:1 - they simply do not expend more money to get more bandwidth out of the local exchange.

                  I should say that I don't work for BT - I used to 25 years ago - and don't have anything to gain from advertising their service - I wouldn't want to sway anyone's preference.
                  Thanks for that Jamie.
                  Your first para explains what I guessed was probably happening in practice.

                  I realised my neighbour was a victim of Talk Talk rather than BT. I keep telling him he's getting what he's paying for, now I can give him the technical reasons. From the standard of customer support he gets from them when his broadband fails (which seems to be quite often) I think they must expend a limited amount of money on that as well.

                  We live in a crazy world where we have to buy our utilities from a bunch of middle men so more companies who don't actually produce anything can make a profit. Gas companies supply Electricity/Electricity companies supply Gas, surely that's a lethal combination.

                  Regards.
                  Peter

                  she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

                  E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                  OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                  Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Pnone transfer

                    I used to be with Tiscali for ten years who were bought out by Talk Talk had loads of problems after that so ended up swapping to Sky
                    i had spent hours on the phone eventually when i swapped over i didnt even need to contact them sky did it all for me
                    To me, The goal is to move people, to make people think, but never, never at the expense of the person you're photographing. To laugh with, yes - but never to laugh at. - Lord Snowdon

                    Martyn
                    Olympus E30, HLD4 Grip E520 E300 HLD3 Grip, Pen E-PL1 Zuiko m14-42mm
                    Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 , 80-200mm
                    ZD 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-54mm, 40-150mm ,50-200mm , 70-300mm, 35mm Macro , EX-25
                    Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained
                    Olympus FL36R ;Metz Flash 28AF-30
                    http://cannoncannonphotography.webs.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Pnone transfer

                      Originally posted by al_kaholik View Post
                      My old man still gets free service from BT after
                      Brrrrrrrrrrr.......... Hehe I think they just cut you off.
                      Peter

                      she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

                      E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                      OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                      Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Pnone transfer

                        Gah, I'll edit... He still gets free service after cock up with 'business rates' and a dual 128 ISDN line...

                        Nightmare companies. Sure we were with tiscali who ended up becoming BT who wouldn't talk to BT. Talk Talk are the devil
                        My Flickr

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Pnone transfer

                          Last night I emailed the CEO of Talk talk who got back to me this morning saying that she will get one of her teams to look into it and apologised.
                          It's a start I suppose.
                          I did ring BT to see if they could do it quicker and was told that it takes at least 7 days to transfer a line, a legal requirement said the girl. An improvement on TT but in this day and age of technology I am amazed. Years ago I had phones operating on the day I moved in. So much for progress.
                          sigpicDave

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Pnone transfer

                            Originally posted by sapper View Post
                            Last night I emailed the CEO of Talk talk who got back to me this morning saying that she will get one of her teams to look into it and apologised.
                            It's a start I suppose.
                            I did ring BT to see if they could do it quicker and was told that it takes at least 7 days to transfer a line, a legal requirement said the girl. An improvement on TT but in this day and age of technology I am amazed. .
                            Dave,
                            I think the delay is due to checking that the request is not linked to a scam called 'Slamming' where unscrupulous telephony companies get peoples landlines transferred to their service without contacting the customer. The first the customer normally knows of the transfer is when they get a letter from their original company along the lines of 'sorry you are leaving us'. Ofcom are allegedly receiving about 750 complaints a month about this practice and can now fine the companies involved up to 10% of their annual turnover.
                            Jamie

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X