E6 Rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E6 Rumours

Well, i haven't heard any... but what do you think? Someone had to ask sooner or later.

Think Olympus will take the new mirrorless specs and put it in an E5 successor?

Re: E6 Rumours

Nothing so far, I think they're letting the EM5 have the glory for the moment.

I can't see how they could not use the new EM5 sensor in an E6/E7 (whatever they choose to call it)...after all, they got enough flak for using the "same old sensor" in the E5.

I did notice that next year it will be 10 years since the E1 was launched... seeing as Olympus seem to like delving into the back-catalogue for inspiration, how about an E1 mk2!
    GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Nothing yet. Now they've got a new (and apparently very good) sensor but still no real solution for their very expensive, big lenses, a E-5 mkII makes a lot of sense to me (but then again, an E-3 mkII made a lot of sense to me after Olympus released the E-30). Whether it will happen is another matter. Some of the things Olympus have actually said have put their credibility in doubt as far as DSLRs go.

Comment

Originally posted by Internaut View Post
        Some of the things Olympus have actually said have put their credibility in doubt as far as DSLRs go.
        I understood that the official line was "we will always have a body for FT lenses" which I've interpreted as "when MFT can focus FT lenses at full speed we'll drop native FT bodies"... so long as they have a body with a good grip to balance the lenses I don't really see it being a problem.

After all there's nothing to say that MFT bodies have to be small...

I know some people (myself included) like an OVF but I can see them being phased out by most camera manufacturers over the coming years, especially at the lower end.
        GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

My personal view is that there is one more DSLR to come from Olympus. However, that's at least partially dependent on whether they can spare any R&D resources or manufacturing capacity from the relentless drive to improve the MFT range.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

It will be the E-7, not the E-6 (odd rather than evens).
            And I am sure that it will be announced/available by the end of 2012.
            Bring it on...................
            Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

E-P4 for sure.

An E-5a, say, soonish might be possible. More credible an E-7 for the 10 year anniversary, as timg suggests.

How this fits with CEO Hiroyuki Sasa's comments about how he wants to “narrow down our (digital camera) portfolio” and “we can make the (digital camera) business fully profitable” is anyone's guess. They seem to have an abundance of compacts to trim back, though.
              Colin
              "Don't blame me..."

Comment

Other question is, do they really need 3 different Pens? Surely 2 is enough, a cheap-n-cheerful version and a more fully functioned version, especially as the EM5 is basically an EP3 on steroids.

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                  Other question is, do they really need 3 different Pens? Surely 2 is enough, a cheap-n-cheerful version and a more fully functioned version, especially as the EM5 is basically an EP3 on steroids.
                  Having had a look at the PENs, + Oly XZ-1 as a replacement small camera for my son, plus the multitude of Panasonic GF/GX/G cameras, my main thought was that it seems so confusing and counter-productive to have similar cameras and seemingly little difference between them.

For Olympus, with the introduction of the high spec EM-5, I would see logic in retaining a mid spec, easy to use PEN that offers excellent value for money, plus the introduction of a high end pro spec DSLR to replace the E-30/E-5. By having a clear simplified range it holds its head up high against the mass of competing brands with their confusing variants, yet appeals to all levels of photography interest, usage and purchasing power, plus the added value of all levels having access to high end lens and accessories.

In the end I've gone for the XZ-1 as it offers pocketability, good spec, good value, and access to the wireless flashes that I have. The next alternative would have been to opt for greater long term capabilty, but greater 'bulk' and cost, and consider the EM-5. However, as I have Oly DSLRs which my son could use, this latter option seemed not worth following up and hence why we decided to go for the pocketability as key factor.

And yes, I still find a tiny camera with a relatively big lens stuck on the front of it a slightly bizarre idea!!

Regards
                  Chris
                  If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
                  or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

I am hoping for a firmware upgrade for the E-5 to improve the CAF focus lock ! come on Oly

Oly R & D is phenomenal, just look at medical imaging
                    [I].
                    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Working...
                    X