Good News, Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News, Bad News

I went for a job interview today. The job involves manning the kiosk at the entrance to the car park at a popular local beauty spot, collecting parking fees and distributing information to visitors. It is Satudays and Sundays, four hours per day.

I got a call later from the manager, they want to give me the opportunity but are concerned that I might not be able to cope, having been out of work for over two years with Parkinson's Disease. For this reason, they have offered me just one day, rather than both, to see how I get on. I have accepted, as I am grateful for the opportunity to do at least some form of work and I desperately need the money, even from just four hours work.

But once again it raises this question. My previous employer recognized my difficulty in working, my consultant, my GP and an independant doctor who specialized in disabilities at work all recommended that I should be retired on health grounds and potential employers share the same concerns. So why is it only the Department for Work and Pensions and the Government who think differently? That's a question I want to put to my local MP and I phoned his office today to find out when his next surgery is.

Trying to be positive, I have also applied for another job today, working as a photographer in a portrait studio. It's a job I would love to do and although I don't know myself if I could physically cope I'll certainly give it 200% if only I'm given the chance!
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: Good News, Bad News

It's a start, John, and it will hopefully give you a boost,. Agree with contacting your MP. The whole thing is enraging
    http://lindagruchy.wordpress.com/

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

Good for you John and hopefully it works out for you.

I would not bet the ranch on getting a straight answer form your MP though.
      Regards Paul.
      One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
        Good for you John and hopefully it works out for you.

I would not bet the ranch on getting a straight answer form your MP though.
        Especially as he's a Conservative, he's not likely to rock the boat, is he?

On the other hand it's one more avenue to explore and having not yet received replies (except for acknowledgements) from two letters I sent him nearly a month ago I feel it's time to meet him in person!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          But once again it raises this question. My previous employer recognized my difficulty in working, my consultant, my GP and an independant doctor who specialized in disabilities at work all recommended that I should be retired on health grounds and potential employers share the same concerns. So why is it only the Department for Work and Pensions and the Government who think differently? That's a question I want to put to my local MP and I phoned his office today to find out when his next surgery is.
          So if the Department for Work and Pensions don't accept advice of medical professionals, who's medical advice dol they accept - a witch doctor's? Ask them!

Good luck with the MP.

Jim

Comment

Good news on the job - sounds like they are on your side. Have you exhausted the appeals process for your disability? Go straight to the top - a letter to Buckingham Palace has been known to start investigations.
            Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

OK a BIG QUESTION for each of YOU ?

HOW MUCH is the cost of STAFF ADMIN ERRORS in Overpayments http://www.update.org.uk/news-detail.php?page=210

I am EMBARRASSED SEVERELY by our Country !

John, If I lived near you I would fight your corner, tooth and nail !
              [I].
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

John, adding this for your MP to fight for you on the basis of another case with your condition

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-23492652/
                [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                  So if the Department for Work and Pensions don't accept advice of medical professionals, who's medical advice dol they accept - a witch doctor's? Ask them!

Good luck with the MP.

Jim
                  The DWP outsource the medical assessments to a private company called Atos, who employ their own doctors and "qualified health professionals" to conduct the assessments, but the criteria is set by the Government through the DWP.
                  John

Comment

Go for it!

Although it could all turn into this ;
                    Working as a photographer in a portrait studio at the entrance to the car park at a popular local beauty spot.

Comment

Good to hear you've had at least some positive news today.

You know already of my opinion of the relevant people and the current Secretary of State for Work and Pensions in particular. The only way to get these politicians to do the right thing is to embarass them. If you get fobbed off by your MP write to the local papers so that other constituents can see how he and his government are (mis)representing them.

Regards
                      Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                      OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                      Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                        The DWP outsource the medical assessments to a private company called Atos, who employ their own doctors and "qualified health professionals" to conduct the assessments
                        So have you been assessed by 'Atos'? (Why is a profit-making private company need to do this, aren't NHS doctors good enough? And if the NHS doctors aren't good enough, what are they good enough for, or is it part of the creeping privatisation of the NHS, and to meet targets?)

Jim

Comment

So have you been assessed by 'Atos'? (Why is a profit-making private company need to do this? Is is part of the creeping privatisation of the NHS?)

Jim
                          Jim, its more like"Dept for Work & Pensions and Government DISTANCING themselves from the Claimants"

So reports should report ASOS Assessments ...

not the Dept for Work & Pensions

Apart from which - the Govnt Depts could not operate efficiently - Private Co's are seen to be more "efficient".

Ofsted have contracted out their school Inspections ... to a company

and are about to unload ChildCare Inspections to another co.
                          [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Good luck with the MP.

Jim
                            Well look what the government is doing with the NHS south of the Border...they aint listening to the professionals over that...so they are at least being consistant
                            chris
                            shetland

Comment

So have you been assessed by 'Atos'? (Why is a profit-making private company need to do this, aren't NHS doctors good enough? And if the NHS doctors aren't good enough, what are they good enough for, or is it part of the creeping privatisation of the NHS, and to meet targets?)

Jim
                              Remember...most of the GPs are already private companies that sub contract to the local health authority. Some of these GPs will take a contract with Atos and do the work for them.... there have been private companies doing outsourced work for the NHS for years ...eg domestic and portering work
                              chris
                              shetland

Comment

Working...
                              X