Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maths Riddle: see if you can work this out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maths Riddle: see if you can work this out...

Hope the forum members can take some more, these have been most enjoyable

An injured child is rushed to hospital by his father, regrettably the child requires some major surgery, however, just before the operation the surgeon states.....

"I am unable to conduct an operation, as this is MY son"

Regards.........Alan
    Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

Looked over again and found your 10 pounds - oly users spent 270 total and the lens cost 250+20 yours = 270 not 270 lens + 20 yours

Comment

Originally posted by throt View Post
        Looked over again and found your 10 pounds - oly users spent 270 total and the lens cost 250+20 yours = 270 not 270 lens + 20 yours
        Hope you did not look too hard.............. it's the way I tell it.. well done.
        Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

Originally posted by kidslateinlife View Post
          Hope the forum members can take some more, these have been most enjoyable

An injured child is rushed to hospital by his father, regrettably the child requires some major surgery, however, just before the operation the surgeon states.....

"I am unable to conduct an operation, as this is MY son"

Regards.........Alan
          Most junior doctors are female nowadays, and even among the surgeons there are a lot of women

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMac View Post
            Most junior doctors are female nowadays, and even among the surgeons there are a lot of women
            Roger,

Absolutely right, when I first heard this some years ago, people would automatically assume that a surgeon was male, perhaps perceptions have changed for the better.

Regards...........Alan

Comment

Originally posted by kidslateinlife View Post
              Hope you did not look too hard.............. it's the way I tell it.. well done.
              well to be honest then all I needed to do is to read the post from the beginning to the end (not just to give a quick look)

Comment

More importantly, does anyone know why the answer is:

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                  There are two unopened doors, one of which you've chosen. The opened door shows a goat.

The object of the exercise is to win the car
                  Should you stick to your first choice, or change your mind and swap to the remaining unopened one?

Jim
                  I feel that I should win the doctorate, as of course my answer was the first correct one for the question as set. Or are we now in the realms of the 'A' level exam board?.

Nick
                  Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                  www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

I know are an awful lot of reasons why the answer is 42, for example

6*7

How many roads must a man walk down

What is 48 - 6

In what base must the national debt be reckoned before it is a comprehensible number when rounded to millions

How many posters to e-group (based on number of posts) qualify for a free em-5 (Which means Captain-D will get one - but Ann1E wont - sorry)

But I really suspect 42 is the number of qualities the ether will be found to possess once the higgs-bosun is rediscovered.

Nick
                    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Swordfish View Post
                      You should definitely change to the unopened door to increase your chance.

Seems counter-intuitive, but the probability is quite clear.

Martin
                      Could you explain how the probability doubles please? I don't see it.

No doors reveled and at the start you have a 1:3 probability - regardless of which door you choose.

Choose any door, then one other door revealed, you then have a 1:2 probability - regardless of which door you chose.

Why does it improve the odds if you swap...? You have a 1:2 chance regardless of which remaining door you choose to open. Choose to remain with the one you started with and the chances are 1:2, choose the remaining door you didn't choose initially and the chances are 1:2

Yes, you started with 1:3, but you do not have to swap your choice to get to 1:2 - as soon as the other door is revealed you then have 1:2 with or without swapping.

So how does it double your chances...? to me they are the same either way.

????
                      John

Comment

My thoughts exactly, but I never was any good at probability and statistics, and self-doubt was creaping in!
                        Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                          Could you explain how the probability doubles please? I don't see it.

No doors reveled and at the start you have a 1:3 probability - regardless of which door you choose.

I'm no maths genius either, if I were to hazzard a guess, I would say..

1. The door change was offered to you when Monty Hall realised you were going to pick the wrong one... kind of leading you.

2. Or, the odds are not set on you winning at 1:3, but against you losing at 2:3.......in other word there is more chance of getting it wrong than getting it right.

3. If the prize car was a Ford, oil would undoubtedly be leaking under the door, and thus choose the two instead.

4. If it was set in Mongolia for eg: then a goat would be the better and more useful prize....

Anyhow .......You started it Get another started

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                                On a table, there are 100 cards. Each of these cards is either red or black. At least one of the cards is red. Given any two of the cards, at least one of them is black. How many of the cards are red...?
                                Surely it's got to be 1 red... if there was more than 1 red there would be a chance you could pick up both and it states that if you pick up 2 cards at least 1 is black... or am I missing something?
                                GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X