Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

    Trevor, thanks for this ! I fear my own at 2.00 last test and probably 3 now is way too low

    It is more for me - not cleaning glasses; not being inconvenienced by glasses and not having eye tests every year and having to buy more glasses & lenses
    .
    .
    [I].
    .
    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

    the ONE photo album

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

      Chevvy - you actually did better than average to get to 48 before you needed reading glasses -the average age in the UK is 46. Assuming you start with normal vision, then everyone will need them sooner or later after the age of about 40 as the lens in the eye gets stiffer and less able to change shape.
      And everyone will eventually get cataracts too - the average age of onset is 70, and by the time you reach 80 they are more or less a certainty. Some things will hasten their onset - previous eye injury/disease, prolonged steroid use, excess exposure to UV light.
      I'm not quite there yet (the cataracts that is - I've got a pair of reading glasses in every room of the house) but a friend who has recently had his treated described his vision pre-surgery as like seeing everything in sepia. The good thing is that these days they are so readily treatable - although as with any operation there is still a small risk attached.

      David

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

        Originally posted by Graptolite View Post
        Chevvy - you actually did better than average to get to 48 before you needed reading glasses -the average age in the UK is 46. ...
        And everyone will eventually get cataracts too - the average age of onset is 70, and by the time you reach 80 they are more or less a certainty. Some things will hasten their onset - previous eye injury/disease, prolonged steroid use, excess exposure to UV light.
        I'm not quite there yet (the cataracts that is - I've got a pair of reading glasses in every room of the house) but a friend who has recently had his treated described his vision pre-surgery as like seeing everything in sepia. The good thing is that these days they are so readily treatable - although as with any operation there is still a small risk attached.

        THIS is fascinating info ! much appreciated by ME ... I appreciate the risks ... but I have to have this one day ... if it goes wrong - well you have one eye done at a time and like life, its a gamble I feel the odds and benefits are stacked higher
        .
        .
        .
        [I].
        .
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

        the ONE photo album

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

          Interesting topic. Well I'm pretty badly short sighted and at 50 had the age thing cut in. I have always worn contacts for yonks..........but changed to one for distance and one mutifocal for reading etc. Never looked back..only down side was at the startI used to think my camera was off, but on the screen downloaded OK till I realised I used the eye with the multi focal duh so had to retain the left.
          Roberta
          Roberta
          E620, E30, OM4-Ti OM-D1... Canon 7D and 5Dmiii
          lenses 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 50mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm, ec-14 still looking for a Bigma (Canon 17-55mm, 70-300mm and 100-400L)
          FL 50R and Hahnel remote (Canon and Olympus)

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

            Very interesting thread, sorry to join it rather late. I have had a slight cataract in my right eye for several years and now have one starting in the left.
            At a recent visit to the opticians I was advised that my new glasses would last 2-3 years and then they would recommend me for cataract operation. The current waiting time here for NHS treatment is 6-8 weeks, success rate is very high.
            I was told that after the operation sight would be much clearer and with more contrast. Maybe I am currently putting too much contrast in my pictures!
            I am 72 and had first reading glasses at 48 changed to varifocals about 10 years ago. I have reactolite lenses which are excellent in bright sun, but too dark when it is cloudy.
            The main problem with the cataracts is dealing with glaring sun when driving and oncoming car headlights at night.
            FWIW my current prescription is +2-0 and +3.5
            Peter J

            OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

              Originally posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
              Very interesting thread, sorry to join it rather late. I have had a slight cataract in my right eye for several years and now have one starting in the left.
              At a recent visit to the opticians I was advised that my new glasses would last 2-3 years and then they would recommend me for cataract operation. The current waiting time here for NHS treatment is 6-8 weeks, success rate is very high.
              I was told that after the operation sight would be much clearer and with more contrast. Maybe I am currently putting too much contrast in my pictures!
              I am 72 and had first reading glasses at 48 changed to varifocals about 10 years ago. I have reactolite lenses which are excellent in bright sun, but too dark when it is cloudy.
              The main problem with the cataracts is dealing with glaring sun when driving and oncoming car headlights at night.
              FWIW my current prescription is +2-0 and +3.5
              Peter, you have done well so far ! I had the pre Cataracts at 52 ! I have the same problem with glaring sun and driving at night and oncoming headlights ! I am hoping these problems will go with the new lenses
              .
              .
              [I].
              .
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


              http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

              the ONE photo album

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                Peter, you have done well so far ! I had the pre Cataracts at 52 ! I have the same problem with glaring sun and driving at night and oncoming headlights ! I am hoping these problems will go with the new lenses
                Chevvy,
                I am assured that these problems will go after the operation. In fact it was the optician that said to me that I must have trouble with glare and headlights; I was very conscious of it but had not associated it with the cataracts.

                With my new glasses (two weeks old now) I can certainly see much better than with the previous ones which I had had for 2 years and were somehow never quite right, so I find it hard to image that I will need the operation in only 2-3 years. For that to happen; the rate of deterioration will have to increase greatly.

                During the eye test I did (just) pass the reading number plate test without glasses so I have some way to go yet.

                I was given an RNIB booklet "Understanding Cataracts" which is a very informative read. You can probably get one from a local optician or from the RNIB. www.rnib.org.uk or Tel 0303 123 9999.
                Peter J

                OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                  I spent an hour with the eye tester yesterday discussing this subject, my glasses were tested (or was it my eyes) and were found to be as good as could be ie a pair could not be manufactured to be more accurate.

                  The headlight glare was discussed, I get that affect from my computer screen, sometimes it takes 15 minutes to get good vision back after looking at a forum type screen, editing pictures is not quite as bad as there is less white. The glare affect is from the flare of light in the lens in the eye (the lens is partly crystallized like frosted glass) and the glare is over loading the light sensors at the back of the eye and the delay is the time taken to recover the sensors. TV cameras in the days of monochrome used to get this problem if they got a bright light in the frame.

                  At the end of the consultation I was promised a referral letter to go on to the next stage, a choice of a big wait or spending several E5s to get the job done quickly.

                  At the end of the exercise I was warned that the surgeons would not necessarily do the op due to slightly higher eye pressure and that if it was done I might still have to wear glasses for astigmatism correction and for reading correction unless I get super expensive auto focusing implants. However as I have been wearing glasses since the King died so that is not such a problem. Current correction -5.75 ish dioptres in both eyes.
                  This space for rent

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                    Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                    At the end of the consultation I was promised a referral letter to go on to the next stage, a choice of a big wait or spending several E5s to get the job done quickly.

                    At the end of the exercise I was warned that the surgeons would not necessarily do the op due to slightly higher eye pressure and that if it was done I might still have to wear glasses for astigmatism correction and for reading correction unless I get super expensive auto focusing implants. However as I have been wearing glasses since the King died so that is not such a problem. Current correction -5.75 ish dioptres in both eyes.
                    I guess the high pressure would have been shown up by the air puff Glaucoma test so the optician identified it as a possible problem.

                    Best find out what the waiting time is when you discuss it with the surgeon. In theory I understand all ops are supposed to be carried out within 18 weeks of referral, but maybe that is becoming a bit theoretical in the current climate. And of course you need to know how long you will have to wait between the first op and the second.

                    Good luck with this and please let us know how you get on..
                    Peter J

                    OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                      Update : I went to the Optegra Evening Presentation at Whiteley Eye Hospital. WoW. Looked like posh offices.

                      We we given a presentation about the different types of Eye Treatments they offer - and which MAY be best for THIS and THAT condition - BUT EVERY CASE is UNIQUE :-) and your free appointment with the Consultant is when you really know YOUR OPTIONS.

                      We were given a lovely TOUR of the facilities - WoW ! Lots of very expensive kit and fabulously clean CLEAN facilities

                      I MET PETER WRIGHT THERE who had booked after I mentioned it Lovely to meet you and Mrs. !

                      I have booked my Consultants appointment for 16th April - which coincides with my next update here (or maybe the 17th due to the eyedrops they use to open my eyes VERY WIDE to inspect them
                      .
                      .
                      [I].
                      .
                      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

                      the ONE photo album

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                        Hi Chevvy

                        Good to meet - my eyes are now so bad that I cannot easily see their glossy brochures - so a a good test - however I will fail the appearance requirement as implied in the brochures <g>
                        This space for rent

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                          Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                          Hi Chevvy

                          Good to meet - my eyes are now so bad that I cannot easily see their glossy brochures ... <g>
                          Derek, just because you CANNOT SEE THE PRICES, does not mean the services to your eyes are free
                          .
                          .
                          [I].
                          .
                          I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                          Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

                          the ONE photo album

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                            Derek, it is Monday argghhh ! I forgot how long they said it would be, can you remember ?

                            I seem to have much cloudier vision these days ... I clean and clean my classes - even rinse the lenses in lemon juice or vinegar - but still I have a "bloom"
                            .
                            .
                            [I].
                            .
                            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

                            the ONE photo album

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                              I think I remember 90 minutes being mentioned, cleaning your glasses will not help, what is happening your lenses are crystalising. That is why thy will use an ultra sonic vibrator to break down the lens and suck the remnants of the lens out through a needle
                              This space for rent

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Cataracts and effect on photo editing. Any experience

                                Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                                I think I remember 90 minutes being mentioned, cleaning your glasses will not help, what is happening your lenses are crystalising. That is why thy will use an ultra sonic vibrator to break down the lens and suck the remnants of the lens out through a needle
                                I am almost sad, that I cannot have the first eye done until after we get back from the hols, so 2nd week in June

                                I expect you will have yours done by then

                                I intend to be there for 1.45 and read a book - dare not be late - could not bare to miss my appointment
                                .
                                .
                                [I].
                                .
                                I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                                Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

                                the ONE photo album

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X