Ouch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch!

We need to test some gear for use in magnetic fields, so I bought some strong permanent ring magnets (from supermagnet.de) to investigate the effects.

When I say strong, I mean it took me a couple of minutes to separate the two cardboard boxes in which they arrived, before I could open them to find the goods .

Then I lost control of the situation and got my finger nipped between two magnets, a very stupid thing to do. Now I have a blood blister and a numb finger.

Having incautiously allowed 2 magnets to join, I had to put bolts into them, set one in a vice and heave on the other one the part them.

Boy, these things are seriously strong (30Kg lifting force) and astonishingly dangerous because of the inverse square law I guess. I had no idea magnets came this powerful!

I'm just glad I didn't buy the Seriouly Strong ones... Now, where to store them? Next to the computer?

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Ouch!

Just don't let any ladies with underwired bras near your place ....
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

How did they ship them - by air or by land?
      This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
        Just don't let any ladies with underwired bras near your place ....
        Too late. There are three of them stuck the the front door.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
          Well, I suppose the only solution is for them to remove the offending items ....

Magnets, I mean.
          Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
            How did they ship them - by air or by land?
            Well, they shipped by air from Germany, but they seem to have come via Hawaii

http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/safety.php

Comment

I can't believe they should have shipped them by air. The backup compass on a commercial aircraft is still a magnetic one - I've just checked with an aircraft engineer.

I like the death magnet that they sell - a 50mmX50mmX25mm magnet that can hold a 100Kg load that would soon sort out your hard drive
              Jamie

Comment

We need to test some gear for use in magnetic fields, so I bought some strong permanent ring magnets (from supermagnet.de) to investigate the effects.

When I say strong, I mean it took me a couple of minutes to separate the two cardboard boxes in which they arrived, before I could open them to find the goods .

I'm just glad I didn't buy the Seriouly Strong ones... Now, where to store them? Next to the computer?

Pete
                Back in the early 1980's I had been installing Accounting systems for Solicitors & Barristers ... many of which had Metal Desks ... One Cashier in a practice had systems crashes and could not restore from back up it was the IBM PC and used 8 INCH floppy discs ... he stuck them on the right side of his desk, by magnets .. The Trainer had not trained about magnetic fields in phones nor heat on floppy disks !
                [I].
                I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

A photo is of course required
                  My Flickr Home Page

Comment

or not next to your credit cards..................
                    Roberta
                    E620, E30, OM4-Ti OM-D1... Canon 7D and 5Dmiii
                    lenses 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 50mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm, ec-14 still looking for a Bigma (Canon 17-55mm, 70-300mm and 100-400L)
                    FL 50R and Hahnel remote (Canon and Olympus)

Comment

Then I lost control of the situation and got my finger nipped between two magnets, a very stupid thing to do. Now I have a blood blister and a numb finger.
                      Been there!

I understand that people have had crushed fingers from large ones. Even small ones should be kept away from children. If they swallow them, an emergency operation is needed to prevent their intestines from being pinched.

Jim

Comment

I have some quite heavy & strong magnets in two's for table cloth corners and they "snap" and ouch! I did pinch a finger once ... now I leave them for Nick to put outdoors on the table cloth ... its a man's job
                        [I].
                        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                          I have some quite heavy & strong magnets in two's for table cloth corners and they "snap" and ouch! I did pinch a finger once
                          I would say it they're "quite heavy" they won't be 'super magnets' (neodymium alloy). A neodymium magnet classed as "quite heavy" would be dangerous and near impossible to separate. At the school where I used to work, I used to offer a pair of 20mm diameter by 10mm thick and weighing about 50 grams the pair neodymium magnets, to sixth formers to separate. The biggest boys usually could only do it by sliding them apart against the bench edge, using both hands!

Jim

Comment

Well, they shipped by air from Germany, but they seem to have come via Hawaii

http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/safety.php
                            That gives a whole new meaning to magnetic variation!
                            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Interesting, I used to work in an MRI unit with a 1.5T magnet.
                              We found a safe distance for professional video cameras inside the 10Gauss line at an estimated 30Gauss.
                              Much modern equipment fails around high magnetic fields, I guess because of saturation of inductors in power supplies. Fortunately we never had any equipment emitting smoke, or permanently damaged.
                              PAul

Comment

Working...
                              X