Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! The for sale section

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a thread to sell a few items of mine, but it won't let me create the thread. I try and post images, and it won't let me!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: The for sale section

You need to spend a little time in the forums - you don't have enough posts.

And, a small piece of advice I would offer anyone new trying to sell stuff here (ESPECIALLY if they're outside the UK (the majority of members here are in the UK I believe)), if you're serious about selling at a fair price, don't just post a few "that's nice" comments. Try to avoid banal statements...because in the end, these are unprotected private sales that are reliant on TRUST. If your buyers don't trust that you're on the level, you simply won't sell.
    Ceri Vale
    (www.vale-images.co.uk)

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said

Comment

Sorry Iowa2 - but I have to agree with Callawolf's comments on this one.
      Benedict
      ---------

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Comment

Here we go again. This came up only very recently via Dec Hog I beleive and at the time I strongly deffended a member trying to sell his unwanted gear (4 years & 1,000 plus posts) but this seems to be taking the proverbial. Maybe it is time there were rules so we all now exactly where we stand on this subject. What do other members feel? Ian W.

Comment

You can post in the for sale forum immediately there is no time or post requirement.
          There is a thread discussing whether members should be able to post in the for sale section immediately or not, some of us don't mind but others do but as it stands you are allowed to post immediately.
          Unless it's changed over the last couple of days.

Paul

Comment

I've sent a PM to the board admin with my views and a few (I hope) constructive suggestions.

As an old hand at the online trading game (for a while I was one of the world's most recognised traders in Stephen King (yes, the author) collectibles (a market that has been known to command prices of $10k - $15k for one item), I know the potential highs and lows of our small marketplace.

The thing to always remember is that the Marketplace serves the Board, not the other way around. We are a community with a trading area and that's the way it should always be.

There ARE a few things that can be done to make sure that's the way it remains. I'm sure this debate will continue, but let's not get bogged down in it - there are better conversations to get involved in. People like lowa2 would do well to contribute before offering goods - in the end, how many of us are willing to buy, sight unseen, from a stranger?
            Ceri Vale
            (www.vale-images.co.uk)

(Latest Work)

Comment

Surprisingly for me I have never been a Seller on the forum. But as a Buyer I am very particular who I buy off. The beauty of the forum is that you can track a memebers posts over a given period so it gives you an idea as to their "authenticity".( it's not the right word,but the only one I can think of right now ).

Some of the kit being sold on here is not cheap by any standards. Take for example the recent number of E5's for sale on here. It is not too long ago that forum member were crying out to buy the latest E5,and suddenly there are a few recently purchased ones for sale - does make me wonder why.

If Iow2 had visited here before he should be aware of of the varying views of forum members and possibly taken this into account before selling,and I still maintain that to 'bung' your kit up for sale on the forum without so much a picture - well that really beats me,and sory PM'S don't really cut it with me!

I woke up in a bad mood,and it's not getting any better (LOL) having looked in here
              Benedict
              ---------

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Comment

The debate has popped up from time to time over the last few years. There has been no reports of anyone been ripped off on this forum yet and I have bought and sold from low count posters over the years and got items I wanted for a good price. If you use some initiative and common sense you can usually cover yourself. Personally I have no issues with low count posts folk posting to sell stuff , there may be a bargain to be had or they may be selling an item that doesn't come up often. It's not rife on here to the point of been ridiculous. Iowa2 has been a member of Fourthirdsphoto forum for many years so is well aware of forum protocol.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Woofmix View Post
                  If you use some initiative and common sense you can usually cover yourself.
                  Yup - absolutely

My last comment on this for now - open forum is the correct place for open discussion - PM is the correct place for negotiation / sale. In the end, this is a transaction between buyer and seller - the sums involved and the fine detail are nobody else's business

I'm going to do some work now
                  Ceri Vale
                  (www.vale-images.co.uk)

(Latest Work)

Comment

To a degree you are right Paul - however I don't visit Four3 user web site all that often ( once a year ),and had I anything to sell I would in all liklehood have made myself aware of the general protocol for selling within the site.

There is no intention to suggest that Iowa2 is anything other than an upfront seller - but from previous posts on this subject here on this forum,it shouldn't take a new seller too long to find out the general feeling to 'single' posters.

I have a feeling this one is going to drag on and on - I am going to get myself a keyboard lock!
                    Benedict
                    ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Benedict View Post
                      but from previous posts on this subject here on this forum,it shouldn't take a new seller too long to find out the general feeling to 'single' posters.
                      I don't think there is a 'general feeling' some folk don't mind others do most folk are silent on the matter so probably don't care either.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Woofmix View Post
                        I don't think there is a 'general feeling' some folk don't mind others do most folk are silent on the matter so probably don't care either.

Paul
                        Just because people are silent doesn't mean they don't care. Perhaps what they would say has already been said. A better way to judge other peoples thoughts would be to do a poll, rather than jump to conclusions.

I don't like the idea that anyone can register, put something up for sale then disappear. It could turn this place in to a ebay/shop area. I prefer the idea that a length of time and a number of posts need to be made first (perhaps 6 months and 20 posts).

Comment

I think it only matters to those looking to buy or sell. At that stage those buying will go to PM (correctly I think) to get more info on the goods and payment method. It is useful to see shots of the goods but they only give the outside views not the condition of the working parts. I to have had success buying (from Paul on one occassion) and selling goods with out a problem, some of the people I have bought from have then dropped off the site (maybe I bought their last Olympus item?) after the sale. Payment methods may give protection if things go wrong? It is good to know (or think you do ) something about the person selling but as usual buyer beware. I only look at the other sites on occasion so their ratings there are not known to me so I base it on what I see on this site and would think before buying of low number posters who may have only joined to sell. This does not mean they are dodgy but it does give you some confidence in the buyer to whom you will be sending in some cases large sums of money if you feel you 'know' them? Requiring a number of posts before sales may only result as said in 'nice shots' postings but if a person is going to offload poor goods this will not stop them as a few extra keystrokes will not matter to them.
                          Hoping to sell some stuff soon, I have enough posts but how much do you really know about me when it comes to sales?

Note to self::: just blown any sales.

Rant over am going to take the camera for a walk and then lie down in a darkened room..
                          Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Given my post yesterday about the success and trustworthiness of the sales/wants forum - I would say that it is important that buyers are able to check out the seller through their posts, profiles, pics posted etc. For me that is the defining nature of the success and trustworthiness of the thread and I've never heard of anyone being ripped off. It certainly feels to me that we are all committed to our hobby and our marque and are part of a 'group' (despite the vast differences in age, location, experience etc) which is dedicated those aims. Surely these reasons should be why anyone is here at all given that this isn't an auction or selling forum but a photographic forum where committed members discuss photography and now and then sell, buy and exchange equipment with each other as they choose.

I actually thought there was a rule that you had to be a member for a certain length of time and have contributed a certain amount in posts and pics before securing the privilege of selling something to other members?

Personally I would be very wary of buying from anyone who had just joined the forum and immediately started selling. From their point of view too surely potential sellers need to build up a bit of credibility before entering into areas like selling which involve trust?

That said - if there are no absolute rules and anyone can sell anything immediately with no track record - then we need to go to Caveat Emptor and its the buyer's decision whether or not to participate.

Maybe Ian can re-iterate the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by E-P1 fan View Post
                              Given my post yesterday about the success and trustworthiness of the sales/wants forum - I would say that it is important that buyers are able to check out the seller through their posts, profiles, pics posted etc. For me that is the defining nature of the success and trustworthiness of the thread and I've never heard of anyone being ripped off. It certainly feels to me that we are all committed to our hobby and our marque and are part of a 'group' (despite the vast differences in age, location, experience etc) which is dedicated those aims. Surely these reasons should be why anyone is here at all given that this isn't an auction or selling forum but a photographic forum where committed members discuss photography and now and then sell, buy and exchange equipment with each other as they choose.

I actually thought there was a rule that you had to be a member for a certain length of time and have contributed a certain amount in posts and pics before securing the privilege of selling something to other members?

Personally I would be very wary of buying from anyone who had just joined the forum and immediately started selling. From their point of view too surely potential sellers need to build up a bit of credibility before entering into areas like selling which involve trust?

That said - if there are no absolute rules and anyone can sell anything immediately with no track record - then we need to go to Caveat Emptor and its the buyer's decision whether or not to participate.

Maybe Ian can re-iterate the rules.
                              There aren't really any rules as such. It is always the responsibility of a buyer to ensure that the seller is legitimate. All we are doing is providing a noticeboard.

But we do try to dissuade people from simply using the site for selling and also to resist spammers. Therefore newly registered members must achieve a minimum number of forum posts before they can include links in posts. The same threshold will also enable the visibility of customised signatures.

Just because they do achieve enough posts in order to post links is not a sign that they are trustworthy sellers!

Ian
                              Founder and editor of:
                              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                              NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X