The for sale section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The for sale section

Eeeh, I spend a day away from the computer and come back to find I've missed all the fun!!

For my two penny worth:

Charles (Iowa2) - what a fabulous privilege to see the images that you have posted - stunning and loved what you have achieved with the gear. I just wish that we could have enjoyed seeing much more of your imagery. Olympus's loss me thinks.

Re selling: It's always difficult to live in a world where you want to trust but know the dodgy deals that are done to relieve you of your money. Banks, taxes, insurance, people - we all see legit and illicit ways this is done.
    So I think we should all be sensible and trust nothing to start off with, but that doesn't mean we show hostility or open distrust to the people with whom we deal. The reasons that people buy and sell gear are many, and it is up to the buyer to do the research, ask the relevant questions and seek the reassurance that satisfies the urge to buy but tempered by the knowledge of caution. Some scams are obvious but some are so detailed and planned that I wouldn't necessarily trust an old hand any more than a newcomer. The old maxim of gain their trust and then fleece them is as old as the some Greek oddessy!

But I feel it a shame if we jump to 'condemn' on a forum that is so good at welcoming and helping other users.
    Preach caution by all means, or have admin automatically add a "Caution - please research / check all sales before purchase by taking the following steps . . . . ." to any Sale posting, but lets keep the general approach of welcoming members and encouraging them to show off their skills and usage with their Olympus gear.

Now then, I have a very nice Olympus Trojan (equinus edition) if anyone is interested - very rare and very very costly.

Regards
    Chris
    If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
    or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

is it the Mk 1 or Mk 2 Chris

Comment

Mark 1 (v3) - versions 1 & 2 lacked built in features, which were then inserted for the v3
        Regards
        Chris
        If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
        or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

After seeing the shots Charles has posted I cannot believe he is selling

They are fantastic
          My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Originally posted by lowa2 View Post
            I know what you mean about the heavy moderation, and personally, I think they killed the forum that way. It used to be a pretty friendly place, but now, I don't frequent it as much as I used to...

Just to clarify, I am/was not offended by the replies here, I was surprised! I was, and am again now, under the impression that this was a very friendly forum!

One thing for sure is that I have learned a lot in my meager *10* posts!
            I've noticed it doesn't seem to be as busy as it used to be. I still visit occasionally but stopped posting when the heavy handed moderation started.
            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Bit cheeky , as I am something of a lurker myself, and I note the generally constructive comments already made, however, here goes - Any used gear purchase from a source you don't really know (and we don't really know anyone on here) is a risk and it's not unreasonable to expect a prospective purchaser to use their common sense and appreciate that sometimes these things are a punt. I understand that Iowa2 has not posted anything much and, on the face of it, looked like a first timer trying to sell stuff straight away, but I'm not sure that is really relevant. We have a forum for selling gear and, unless very low user postings start to become the norm and there are complaints of dodgy gear being sold, I am not sure we ought to look to regulate that too much. One of the reasons I have stuck with this forum (and to an extent with the brand) is because of its relaxed and generally friendly attitude and I think we should keep it that way if we can. Besides, the chap can take a very decent photo!

Well, that's my tuppence worth, time to get back in my box.

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                I've noticed it doesn't seem to be as busy as it used to be. I still visit occasionally but stopped posting when the heavy handed moderation started.
                I left the AP forum a couple of years ago when the moderation became almost dictatorial IMHO. Having been a Mod myself (on non-photo forums) I know it can be difficult to get the balance right between moderating (the clue is in the title) a forum nicely and stepping on sensitive people's toes. Good training for the UN

Comment

Originally posted by DanH56 View Post
                  Bit cheeky , as I am something of a lurker myself, and I note the generally constructive comments already made, however, here goes - Any used gear purchase from a source you don't really know (and we don't really know anyone on here) is a risk and it's not unreasonable to expect a prospective purchaser to use their common sense and appreciate that sometimes these things are a punt. I understand that Iowa2 has not posted anything much and, on the face of it, looked like a first timer trying to sell stuff straight away, but I'm not sure that is really relevant. We have a forum for selling gear and, unless very low user postings start to become the norm and there are complaints of dodgy gear being sold, I am not sure we ought to look to regulate that too much. One of the reasons I have stuck with this forum (and to an extent with the brand) is because of its relaxed and generally friendly attitude and I think we should keep it that way if we can. Besides, the chap can take a very decent photo!

Nicely said.

Even if you don't agree with this, let's just agree to disagree

Ian
                  Founder and editor of:
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                  NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanH56 View Post

Dan, you might not post very much but when you do it is worth waiting for. You should get out of your box more often!
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Working...
                    X