Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Selling on the forum debate

Originally posted by DekHog View Post
    ...I meant the number of posts to sell gear, not to buy. Why would anyone sign up, sell all their Oly gear, then hang around? Anyways, most people seem to have totally ignored the 'user participation' part of my posts, especially those who have had good deals from new posters....
    I'm not unsympathetic towards this view; indeed I previously lent towards it but have recently reconsidered. I still feel uneasy when it appears that someone has joined for the sole purpose of disposing of their gear, never to be heard of again but I have to ask myself why would I want to deprive other members of a potentially good deal? So what if the seller never posts again?

Having said that, it would be unhealthy if we started getting a disproportionate number of such posts to the detriment of the other forum activities, or if we started experiencing problems with fraud or whatever.

That's why I say we should monitor the "For Sale" section and review our policy from time to time. I don't perceive a problem at the moment but we do need to remain alert and be wary. Just because it is allowed at the moment doesn't mean it is set in stone!

Would you consider that to be an acceptable compromise, DekHog? We certainly need to take account of the views of long standing members such as yourself as well as newer members!
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by sponner View Post
      I'm probably missing something but I can't see a downside to someone offering to sell something?

Surely that is a plus for teh forum members who hang out here and there is no "cost" to the site or community ?
      See paragraph 2 of post #19 - it's equivalent to gate-crashing, and no eBay/PP fees to pay. I actually find it really ignorant having seen SHG lenses for sale as a 1st post....

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      They might simply be changing part of their gear - selling one item to buy another.

Ian
      Now you're really stretching it, Ian.... We've all seen the people who sign up simply to offload and are never seen again...

Comment

John, it's actually ok with me as I wouldn't buy from a newcomer anyway, and if other people want to risk their hard-earned, that's their prerogative. Like I said, it's like the regulars and old-timers keep the actual forum going, and others just appear from nowhere to offload what they don't want or no longer need - it just irks me personally.

Comment

Any purchase/sale other than cash face-to-face carries a risk. Buyer and seller will have their own views on what is an acceptable risk level. I have bought from or sold to several well established forum members, including Woofmix and DekHog. On every occasion the transaction has been entirely satisfactory. The detailed discussion has always been by PM and I think this is the best method.
          David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

John, it's actually ok with me as I wouldn't buy from a newcomer anyway, and if other people want to risk their hard-earned, that's their prerogative. Like I said, it's like the regulars and old-timers keep the actual forum going, and others just appear from nowhere to offload what they don't want or no longer need - it just irks me personally.
            I appreciate that it irks you, as I've said I feel the same way! However, I don't understand why I feel that way. Like you, I might choose not to do business in such circumstances, depending on those circumstances, but if others on the forum are happy to do so I can't see the problem (subject to the "Buyer Beware" adage) - in fact many obviously consider it a desirable part of the forum facilities so why deny them the opportunity to make use of it if they wish?

I also agree about the regulars and old-timers keeping the forum going, but we are not a large forum and continuously need new blood to keep the forum vibrant and interesting. For various reasons we do lose regulars from time to time and without new members the forum really would stagnate, if not wither and die. OK a certain number of new members will just sell their gear and leave but others will stay and grow with the forum, keeping it healthy.
            Last edited by Zuiko; 7th June 2011, 06:10 PM. Reason: A bit added
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Melaka View Post
              Any purchase/sale other than cash face-to-face carries a risk. Buyer and seller will have their own views on what is an acceptable risk level. I have bought from or sold to several well established forum members, including Woofmix and DekHog. On every occasion the transaction has been entirely satisfactory. The detailed discussion has always been by PM and I think this is the best method.
              I agree that PM is the best method of conducting the business, with perhaps a "PM sent" message in the thread to indicate the level of interest and prevent others from raising their hopes too much when in fact negotiations are already underway.

Just out of interest, in three and a half years and 4600 posts I have, if my memory serves me correctly, sold one item on the forum and bought five. I wonder what proportion of their activities account for buying and selling for other members?
              John

Comment

I'm sure I've sold more than I've bought on here - any time I was looking for something it never seemed to be for sale (isn't it always like that?), and I ended up going to eBay or retail - I did buy two 14-54mm's from Chillimonster though....

Comment

Hi wouldn't it be better if they had to be a member for a minimum period of time before they are able to sell on the forum.

Thats my penny worth anyway.

Dave
                  My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

Originally posted by Daveart View Post
                    Hi wouldn't it be better if they had to be a member for a minimum period of time before they are able to sell on the forum.

Thats my penny worth anyway.

Dave
                    It's certainly an option to consider if we get particular problems in the future, the forum Admin obviously retains the right to introduce any measures they consider appropriate.
                    John

Comment

I'm sure I've sold more than I've bought on here - any time I was looking for something it never seemed to be for sale (isn't it always like that?), and I ended up going to eBay or retail - I did buy two 14-54mm's from Chillimonster though....
                      I think we've all bought stuff from Chillimonster - I bought a flashgun!
                      John

Comment

I don't hold with any specific rules, but anyone joining and posting up a first post of sales should expect to be treated with some suspicion and I've joined in warning people of suspicious 1st posts.

I have thought about each purchase very carefully and read a lot of the sellers posts to get an idea of what I think of them

Quite a few of the "regular members" have met and spoken over the years and that helps. Also clear information re any sales helps. I've bought about half my lenses (all the expensive ones) via the forum and have been very happy with the results.

However I admit I would always purchase via a PM and only thank the seller publicly once the deal had concluded because I would never want to have a negative discussion going on the public forum (I've seen a recent spat that I thought never needed to be public).

in terms of how mych the messages that just say "sent you a PM" add to the forum I'm not sure. I just skip over them to see the current status

Regards
                        Andy
                        My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                        4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                        m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                        FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                        The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                        http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                        http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                        https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                        http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Daveart View Post
                          Dave I'd second that excellent idea,
                          it would stop the 'bots' (sure, real people who appear and on post #1 act like some kind of programmed selling-bot ) how simply want to register, sell and leave.
                          Perhaps 1 week would suffice?

Comment

We don't appear to have any problems with the For Sale section at the moment, so I don't see that there's anything to worry about.

Personally I wouldn't buy from anyone other than an established member, but that's just me being careful.

It is a tad annoying to see someone join just to sell kit, then vanish, but it's also rewarding to see people who've only joined for the For Sale/Wanted threads then decide to stick around and become valuable contributors.

I see no reason to change anything at the moment...

Janet

Hey! How do I get to become a full member? It seems I've been "getting comfy" for a long time
                            My flickr photostream....

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                              Sorry, I couldn't resist this quote. Do you mind if I change it slightly?........

.....but I'd suggest that rogue traders are far more likely to pray on the Canikon users of this world - they are plentiful and do, by definition, consist of the gullible, the careless and the foolish.

Yup - sounds about right

And I vote for the status quo...with monitoring.

Oh, and it's good to have a reasoned, balanced debate
                              Ceri Vale
                              (www.vale-images.co.uk)

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said

Comment

I've bought and sold many items on here and all transactions have gone smoothly. There is purely an element of trust between 2 folk that probably have never met, sometimes for large sums of money.
                                I'd just like to thank everyone for making this process work so well, seems we really are a good bunch of folk who can be trusted and that's a wonderful thing.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X