Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do wrong?

Hi

I put up a for sale thread on here for my iphone4 but it's gone. Just wondering what I did wrong?

Thanks

Re: What did I do wrong?

Originally posted by Olympusgirl View Post
    Hi

I put up a for sale thread on here for my iphone4 but it's gone. Just wondering what I did wrong?

Thanks
    It certainly appeared - I read it. But you're quite right - it's gone now
    Paul

Comment

Thanks
      Just been told it's because it's a camera phone so not appropriate and I haven't contributed to the forum enough. Didnt mean to break any rules but my last sale went so smoothly I thought would be a nice place to sell.

As long as I know though I'll sell elsewhere

Thanks

Comment

Hi Olympusgirl,

I hope my PM made sense. I can appreciate that you may feel disappointed and sometimes it is difficult for us to acahieve the right balance on the forum, but I felt that in this case it was not really appropriate. I hope you continue to participate and benefit from the many advantages this forum has to offer in addition to the "For Sale" section and that we can help you improve your photography.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
          I didn't see this Members original post so don't know if it was in the For sale or wanted small ads section or not. I have however noticed a few Members comment that they can't send PM's as they haven't made enough posts etc. and now it seems there is a restriction on posting items for sale until sufficient posts have been made by an individual Member.

I have looked in the Terms And Conditions and other places on the site and can find no mention of these Forum Rules relating to PM's or For Sale Items. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to finding them ?

Thanks,
          John
          Hi John,

There are no hard and fast rules regarding items for sale, although we do not encourage members joining just to sell kit, particularly non Olympus items and those with only a tenuous connection to photography. There is a site called ebay for that sort of thing. We have, however, recently introduced the requirement for at least 6 posts before before links can be posted, but this is more specifically to deter spammers. It was announced in this thread: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14701

There is no suggestion of spamming in this case but I did not feel comfortable with the situation and made the decision to delete the thread in question. I sent a PM to the thread starter explaining my reasoning.

I know of one other Four Thirds site, based in America, where you have to upgrade to paying membership in order to advertize items for sale. In the UK there is a large general photography forum (which sometimes gets a mention here) which has a requirement for 100 posts plus a minimum term of membership before participation is allowed in the for sale section. I think we are quite relaxed in comparison, but it does mean that the mods on occassion have to make arbitrary decisions in the best interests of the forum and it's members. Final policy decision, of course, rests with Ian.

I hope this clarifies the situation, but please let me know if further explanation is required.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
            Hi John,

There are no hard and fast rules regarding items for sale, although we do not encourage members joining just to sell kit, particularly non Olympus items and those with only a tenuous connection to photography. There is a site called ebay for that sort of thing. We have, however, recently introduced the requirement for at least 6 posts before before links can be posted, but this is more specifically to deter spammers. It was announced in this thread: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14701

There is no suggestion of spamming in this case but I did not feel comfortable with the situation and made the decision to delete the thread in question. I sent a PM to the thread starter explaining my reasoning.

I know of one other Four Thirds site, based in America, where you have to upgrade to paying membership in order to advertize items for sale. In the UK there is a large general photography forum (which sometimes gets a mention here) which has a requirement for 100 posts plus a minimum term of membership before participation is allowed in the for sale section. I think we are quite relaxed in comparison, but it does mean that the mods on occassion have to make arbitrary decisions in the best interests of the forum and it's members. Final policy decision, of course, rests with Ian.

I hope this clarifies the situation, but please let me know if further explanation is required.
            This all seems entiurely sensible to me and for all the right reasons. A good balance in my view.

Hec
            I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

The requirement for 50 (I think) posts before advertising items for sale is a longstanding one, and makes good sense.

Presumably there is no objection to selling (or more likely buying even more ) OM film camera equipment here?

My wife did ask me how many cameras I had recently, but I couldn't really answer her. Anyhow, does a camera have to have a lens attached to be called a camera, or do bodies count on thier own?
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

If they are all of just one make, that counts as one camera (in my book!).

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                My wife did ask me how many cameras I had recently, but I couldn't really answer her. Anyhow, does a camera have to have a lens attached to be called a camera, or do bodies count on thier own?
                Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Hi Olympusgirl. I see you have an E510 & am looking forward to seeing your photos & more of your posts in the threads. This is a friendly, helpful site & the tighter measures are only protecting what we enjoy here. In Australia, I am a member of 2 forums & one has tighter controls than here & the other has very tight controls with limits etc which are a bit too much. I love this site for what it offers, the members & also because it's based on the camera system I enjoy using (it gets a little tiresome defending my Olympus gear on the other forums sometimes).

I believe Zuiko's (John) actions were appropriate for the above item & I hope you can appreciate that too.

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Cheers
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                  X