Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weather report

Originally posted by Who's_E View Post
    Well, South West London is in the grip of 2" of snow on all roads. Barnes Common looked lovely this morning.

Unfortunately we probably have the UK's highest proportion of vehicles that say "4x4" in the marketing blurb but are more "faux by four" in reality. Cue lots of dodgy driving.

I am looking forward to exercising the wife and baby later.

Nick
    Unfortunately people don't understand 4x4 and think it does something magical. Yes - it will pick you out of loose snow/mud etc when other vehicles wont, but if either the front or back wheels are both on ice then the front/back will slide, though given space you may have better chance to recover. But if there is no grip, then there is no grip regardless of the number of wheels turning.

Actually it's like cameras - having a good camera does not make you a good photographer, so a good car for rough conditions does not necessarily make a good driver for those conditions.

Nick
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Shaw View Post
      Still snowing heavily here and very cold. Apart from one or two days we have had snow since 25th November.
      Where are you Stuart?

I am supposed to go to Thurso next week.
      Aberdeen airport is where I usually get stuck if the weather is bad
      E1, E520, ED14-42, ED 40-150, 70-300, Various legacy including 50mm f2 macro.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer Simpson View Post
        Where are you Stuart?

I am supposed to go to Thurso next week.
        Aberdeen airport is where I usually get stuck if the weather is bad
        Hi Homer,

I am approx. 38 miles south of Aberdeen. There is severe disruption at the airport just now, but the situation seems to change hourly.
        Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
        My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
        Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150

Comment

Six inches of snow on the ground in the Cotswolds. Only been out to clear my driveway and the driveway of my elderly neighbour. Very glad I invested in grit and a snow shovel. The farmer has been out with his tractor to clear some roads so I will venture out in the car tomorrow I think.

Comment

About 3 inches overnight here, nothing since but the sky is pretty leaden so we could be in for more. We had a few brief splashes of sunshine this morning, with the snow still fresh it really was a touch of winter wonderland.

Still no rugby to take the new E-5 to That means no games at all during December - they are even thinking of playing one of the postponed games on 2nd January.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
              About 5cm. Beginning to ease off now.

Time to take pictures...

Be safe out there...

You must only be about 10 miles from me,here we have about 6 inches and still coming down.
              Just been over the nature reserve,those poor cows don't look happy.

Time to process some pictures.
              All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

We've had around 6" since 8pm friday

Comment

Six inches here and still snowing slightly. I fitted winter tyres to the Forester three weeks ago and they've been brilliant, although it did very well last winter without them. I tackled one of the narrow 1:5 hills into the village at lunch time and was having no problem until I came upon a Land Rover stuck right across the top. He'd tied it to a bush to stop it sliding down sideways! Unfortunately I lost it reversing downhill and executed a neat 180 turn which left me facing the right way. I then came up the 'main' road into the village and passed numerous cars with shovels, bad language etc. That's the third time the Forester has outperformed a Land Rover in the snow.
                  David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

We've had it quite gentle here...a couple of inches of the white stuff and now clear blue skies and sunshine...

I braved it and went down to the local shops...just a couple of hundred yards and a bit treacherous underfoot, but it was really rather pleasant, if a little cold...

A good excuse to take my new legacy lens out for a walk....!

Janet
                    My flickr photostream....

Comment

Was about 2" at work, gradually increasing to 6" or more around my home, down the road there's a patch over a foot deep.

It's great fun being the only nut in a fwd car out on totally untreated roads.

It's juts started snowing again now.

Comment

That first shot looks like it's near Minisport's premises....

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        We've had it quite gentle here...a couple of inches of the white stuff and now clear blue skies and sunshine...

Janet
                        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Been very lucky here in Penicuik.
                          Nothing since 2" of snow on Thursday which froze within 3 hours. Roads clear.
                          Looking at the met rain radar its going round us but the forecast issnow tonight and tomorrow and ....... until at least Wednesday.
                          I've already done the tendons on my wrist from all the stuff we had at the end of Nov & beginning of Dec. Cleared 6" 6 times in 10 days.

Duncan
                          Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

That first shot looks like it's near Minisport's premises....
                            Well spotted!

Janet
                            My flickr photostream....

Comment

Just to prove we do sometimes get snow on the edge of London.

About 2 hours ago.Still a little coming down.Don't think the car will be going out for a few days.
                              All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Grr. I've been volunteered for taking pictures of a carol concert in town tonight. It means going out in this stuff again. (We did a trip into town this afternoon using Autosocks on the Focus, and that went off OK).

I think the Autosocks are going to stay on the car all weekend, even though I will be using them on occasional treated roads. They certainly help on snow, and will be earning their keep at present, however they don't turn winter into summer, so you still need to drive mega carefully.

Will post some carol pictures if they are half decent...

Pete
                                Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Working...
                                X