That Forum again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That Forum again..

Timmy, thanks for your input. It's worrying what you say about this site and is maybe something we need to look at. It's certainly not the impression we want to give.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Well I suppose I'm part of that little group, but - can I say something in defence of it. There is a natural tendency to 'return' the compliment, so if someone takes the time/effort/trouble to comment on your pictures, you'll take the time/energy/effort to comment on theirs, and sometimes comments are over nice (but again that's human nature, we like pleasing each other).

But that little group is not exclusive, there are lots of names amongst regular posters who were not there a year ago, and in a years time the make-up of the group will be different again. Anyone can 'join' that group, it's in no way exclusive. Entry qualification is the time it takes to participate, to comment, to discuss and to bring things that you think the group will find interesting to the groups attention.

And commenting on pictures does take time, often I will download them, look at the curves/levels and adjust the crop, before making comments/suggestions. That's my choice and as well as making the comments hopefully more relevant it also teaches me what techniques might work on pictures other than those I take.

It is a 'small' family that post/comment the most. Maybe we like the sight of our names in print, maybe we are showing off. Or perhaps we know that it is only by commenting/posting that we keep the discussions on the group alive, and that's what keeps the forum viable.

It's not perfect, but we do the best we can and I think the group has a good record of posting helpful comments to those (new or otherwise) who raise particular points/queries.

Can I just remind everyone of the unanswered button on the bar, click on it, have a look at any pictures/posts awaiting comment. Then take the time to make the comment, the OP will thank you and be more inclined to make a comment on your/others pictures, and an interesting thread discussion may ensue.

When I've posted similar comments, one of the responses was 'but I don't know enough' to comment. My view has always been that if you can take a photo then you can make a comment/suggestion - try it.

Nick
      Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
      www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Hi Timmy your post does IMO require some response and I agree with you that's it's not about equipment it's about the type of person and thats why most of my postings are here even though I am in a number of other photo related forums

Re your other comments which John and Nick have both alreadt given thoughtful responses to I agree that response to all is important.

Reading your comment did make me take another look at your postings and you have some very nice pictures. I have one comment/suggestion though (which I have made to others) which is that by hosting a picture elsewhere and then linking to it it means that people have to spot your thread (which often depends on a snappy title) and you miss out on people browsing the gallery and / or your picture coming up as a gallery pic which I know is something that often draws me in to comment on a picture.

It's not a criticism as I know it means more work to put your picture in 2 places, but it's worth thinking about

I'm not in TP because I simply dislike the tone of the place so have stopped visiting it so how pictures are responded to over there I need to take your word for it

Regards
        Andy
        My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
        4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
        m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
        FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
        The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
        http://www.shenstone.me.uk
        http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
        https://vimeo.com/shenstone
        http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

I have mixed opinions about the site - I see the brand bashing going on, but haven't really been on the nasty end of it - the few photo's I have posted up have generally received good comments and / or good feedback on how to improve, likes and dislikes about the image editing where applicable.

I tend to lurk there more often than not.

I also bought Olympus originally based on price, and tbh I have now got a nice little setup with the E3, 12-60mm and FL36R for far less money than an equivilent setup from ANY other manufacturer.

Comment

I would just like to say that while opinions are welcome, even if they are not necessarily shared by all, I would urge everyone here to keep things as respectful as possible.

It seems that matty has plenty to digest from the feedback offered here about his site and I hope he welcomes and respects that information.

I can't offer an opinion about TalkPhotography as I'm not a member of the site and I haven't explored it. All I can say is that if any disrespect is shown to members here on the e-group in response to comments that aren't in favour of Olympus or associated brands, etc., but are made in good faith and to make reasoned points for debate, then I won't take kindly to this and I will respond to manage it.

I can see that much debate here suggests that my kind of stance or policy as outlined in the previous paragraph is allegedly lacking on other forums. Assuming that is true (and I have seen evidence of this on some sites), it's sad and disappointing. But it won't be tolerated here.

Ian
            Founder and editor of:
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
              I would just like to say that while opinions are welcome, even if they are not necessarily shared by all, I would urge everyone here to keep things as respectful as possible.
              thank you.

It seems that matty has plenty to digest from the feedback offered here about his site and I hope he welcomes and respects that information.
              yes I do, we take great pride on our forums, how far we've come and what people think of them, so ALL comments good and bad are looked at and digested. Some though we find to be quite offensive.

I can't offer an opinion about TalkPhotography as I'm not a member of the site and I haven't explored it. All I can say is that if any disrespect is shown to members here on the e-group in response to comments that aren't in favour of Olympus or associated brands, etc., but are made in good faith and to make reasoned points for debate, then I won't take kindly to this and I will respond to manage it.
              I can find some disrespectful comments here made against me personally and TP, however as ive had my chance to put right a couple of them then the rest are, I guess, fair game. Im pretty sure you wont find anyone slagging off other forums on TP though, and if you do, then i'd request you report the threads as we dont allow and dont tolerate that at all.

I can see that much debate here suggests that my kind of stance or policy as outlined in the previous paragraph is allegedly lacking on other forums. Assuming that is true (and I have seen evidence of this on some sites), it's sad and disappointing. But it won't be tolerated here.

Ian

Im going to send you a PM shortly, i'll also forward the PM I received from one of your members

Im not going to post further in this thread, Ive had my chance to respond to some of the things written about us, thank you for the time and for the opportunity to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
                Well I suppose I'm part of that little group...

It is a 'small' family that post/comment the most. Maybe we like the sight of our names in print, maybe we are showing off. Or perhaps we know that it is only by commenting/posting that we keep the discussions on the group alive, and that's what keeps the forum viable.

Nick
                Rather like Nick, I guess I find myself in the little group of heavy posters (rather to my own surprise). I would hope we don't end up as a mutual admiration society and I try to comment on pictures that catch my eye regardless of who posted them. I'm glad that the traffic on this forum has slowly grown, but now its easy to miss new posts off the bottom of the page.

Equally I don't reply to bird or macro images for example, because I've never done them, so I'm not qualified to comment.

I do rate or comment on images in the Gallery and I hope that is an encouraging activity. Each time you rate a picture your number of posts goes up by one, so that probably explains why I seem to have posted so much

"Maybe we like the sight of our names in print, maybe we are showing off"
                Yes, guilty I guess :-)

Pete
                Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Working...
                X