Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That Forum again..

Hehe, Chris.

I am not bothered about being suspended from there, it's only a day thing but it certainly does illustrate that the method of managing and moderating on the site leaves a lot to be desired.

It's Marcels site, and he manages it as he sees fit, but as I have said, it is undoubtedly biased. I was contributing to that Brecon Beacons thread because I rather like one of the guys who is planning it - he's a top chap. I had planned to go and still might, but the dreaded and very painful man-thing that is - gout - might have put pay to that, unfortunately.

I have even had another email from Matty with yet another smug message that I am not bothering to respond to. He really is an immature individual.
    John

Comment

Same thing different thread really.......

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...d.php?t=277154

Someone asking for advice about a new lens and gets this as a reply.......

Four Thirds lenses are stupidly priced and they don't even have a 50mm I don't think. Not many shops stock them now, it's the same as Pentax lenses they are rarely stocked in places and you'll have to hunt on the web to find them.

websites such as WEX and digital rev normally stock Olympus lenses but like I say, you'll have a heart attack after looking at the prices unfortunately.
      Sheesh!!

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
        Hehe, Chris.

I am not bothered about being suspended from there, it's only a day thing but it certainly does illustrate that the method of managing and moderating on the site leaves a lot to be desired.

It's Marcels site, and he manages it as he sees fit, but as I have said, it is undoubtedly biased. I was contributing to that Brecon Beacons thread because I rather like one of the guys who is planning it - he's a top chap. I had planned to go and still might, but the dreaded and very painful man-thing that is - gout - might have put pay to that, unfortunately.

I have even had another email from Matty with yet another smug message that I am not bothering to respond to. He really is an immature individual.
        Why don't you forward on the emails to Marcel? unless they're in league with each other.
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Crippledsandwich View Post
          Why don't you forward on the emails to Marcel? unless they're in league with each other.
          It's honestly Chris, because I am not bothered about it. Though this is the first time I have been suspended, I have been publicly 'told off' by Matty and Dod before, for simply correcting someone who knew little about what they were posting about and at the same time were being derogatory to Olympus and 4/3 kit. Marcel didn't intervene then, and he won't now... he has too many Canikonians to suck-up to, and answer to. There are so many double standards on TP, it is just not worth it.

I fully understand why he won't, but there is simply no way anyone is going to change the way that site is run. The team deny everything, and put it down to... he was only kiddin, or it's just a laff etc.

Marcel is a smashing chap, but he won't ever defend anything other than the vast majority of his userbase who are Canikon fanboys. I can do without TP... I didn't post or visit there for over a year, and it won't bother me if I don't again.

One more thing, and that is... power corrupts. There is absolutely no way, and I mean not in any shape or form, would I abuse the privilege and honour I have of being an Admin here on eGroup. The problem over there, is unfortunately that this happens regularly. It's all luvvy duvvy, you're shots are great, smashing image etc... until someone offers critique and they get lambasted.
          John

Comment

John

I agree with you - I noticed another thread (which I linked to before) I just love the way that people will begin their thread with "....but I'm sure I can help you out." and then do nothing to actually offer advice - just 'have a go' at four-thirds!

For me TalkPhotography is somewhere I'll have a little look, maybe ask something about photography technique, post a few pictures and have a look around for inspiration.

What I wont do, ever, is ask for advice about four thirds cameras or lenses. It strikes me that there are a lot of people on there who know very little about anything other than the system they use - but still offer advice, and its usually bad and wrong!

I'm just glad we've got here where people like me can ask questions about Oly and 4/3rds without being subject to a load of Canikon hot air!!

Regards

Neil

Comment

John I just posted on that thread with a thinly veiled knock at some of the morons there.
              Regards Paul.
              One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
                John I just posted on that thread with a thinly veiled knock at some of the morons there.
                Hehe Paul. Unfortunately, I just see the 'you are suspended' message hehe.
                John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post

I fully understand why he won't, but there is simply no way anyone is going to change the way that site is run. The team deny everything, and put it down to... he was only kiddin, or it's just a laff etc.
                  Thats all well and good, except that people who are just getting into photography, and who know very little, will take their word as gospel, and will not be getting full and unbiased advice. When I first had my first Oly, someone told me that the system was a bit of a joke, and as they seemed to know a lot about photography I believed them... to the point of almost jumping ship. Its almost as if they keep saying that us Oly users are a dying breed, and that Olys are rubbish, enough times then it will be true.

One more thing, and that is... power corrupts. There is absolutely no way, and I mean not in any shape or form, would I abuse the privilege and honour I have of being an Admin here on eGroup. The problem over there, is unfortunately that this happens regularly. It's all luvvy duvvy, you're shots are great, smashing image etc... until someone offers critique and they get lambasted.
                  (bold is my highlight)I agree that Admin and Mod status in indeed an honour, and not one to be taken lightly. Mods and admins should be seen to be open and honest, (as they are in this forum) and if they step over that line, then that privilege should be given to someone else who will uphold the reputation the site has earned.
                  Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!

Comment

just registered with TP, lets all fight back!

Comment

With all this talk about TP, curiousity got the better of me and I swanned over for a first ever visit.

Point #1 - Within seconds, I found a thread entitled 'contructive criticism' which turned out to be a waste of time.

Point #2 - The floating ad on used equipment caught my eye... all Canon fodder and Nick-one's - not an Oly in sight. Say's it all really. Oly gear might be crap (according to some) but no-one wants to part with it.
                      It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

John (theMusicMan) - Well done on getting suspended from the TP site .

If you do go to the Beacons, don't forget to show us your photos.

Regards - Paul
                        Regards - Paul

Comment

hey look is that another punter with a Canikon

Yeh i think it is

Hahahahahahahah

(Taken through not very clean glass)
                          Attached Files

Comment

I go on there quite a bit, I'm into my film cameras a little, as I inherited over 150 of them when my Father passed away. So I got into it by default and have read up on virtually every camera he owned!

I tend to hang around the film section as its where my bias lies and nearly every time I venture into another part of the forum I end up getting into trouble!

A few of my fellow forumites from the film section are in the process of sorting out a new web site for themselves, (mostly cameras) as they got a little cheesed off with it too.

Me I'm mainly a reader, as I mentioned in my post on Talk Photography, I could own any digital camera I like, I've got a dozen Canon EOS lenses hanging around and probably 18 or so Nikon ones. Funnily enough I've only got 4 Olympus Digital ones but guess which ones I decided to stick with?

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy View Post
                              Mods and admins should be seen to be open and honest, (as they are in this forum) and if they step over that line, then that privilege should be given to someone else who will uphold the reputation the site has earned.
                              I agree with the sentiment Tracey, but I remember a past thread where many posters did not know that John was an Admin Which I think is a credit to him not a criticism, and also a credit to the site.

This place is sufficiently small that people recognise that you have to be polite and good natured. The bigger the site, the bigger the trouble, the more draconian the mods. I don't envy the TP mods, it's a massive undertaking but there have been a fair few contributors who have been banned that you do wonder why they've been picked on when you go back to the threads.

As John says though, TP is a site you can live without. There are a few gems in amongst the tosh, but you can always be a casual observer rather than a participant and just use the search button.

TP is a bustling metropolis, E-Group is more a homely village with cream teas and the sound of willow on leather on a Sunday afternoon.
                              David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
                              flickr - Photo52 2011
                              My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP

Comment

What a smashing post, David. Thanks, much appreciated.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X