Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Should parents be banned from computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should parents be banned from computers

Just spent an hour looking into a problem with the mother in law's PC

I got rid of the error messages she's been telling me about on the phone in 10 minutes and then still couldn't connect to the internet

Having investigated all the things she said she'd changed in the last 3 days I finally get told... the laptop doesn't work either ...

Ah... 30 seconds later ... your router power supply is blown it won't turn on

Maybe it's me... I guess I should ask more questions before leaping in

Regards
    Andy
    My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
    4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
    m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
    FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
    The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
    http://www.shenstone.me.uk
    http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
    https://vimeo.com/shenstone
    http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Re: Should parents be banned from computers

Originally posted by shenstone View Post
    Sounds like she had been implementing the advice of some other technical support too often: "Okay madam, if you get any problems switch it off and then turn it back on again."

Both my parents are keen surfers and are possibly more into it than me!

Nick
    Last edited by Who's_E; 23rd November 2010, 11:41 PM. Reason: Wrong italics
    Bodies: E3, E-P1
    Lenses: 8mm, 14-42mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm

Comment

Comment

I know whenever I get an invite for dinner at the parents there is a "problem" of some sort needing resolving.

But shouldn't complain, Mum's Sunday roasts are worth the hassle!

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by shenstone View Post
          Just spent an hour looking into a problem with the mother in law's PC

I got rid of the error messages she's been telling me about on the phone in 10 minutes and then still couldn't connect to the internet

Having investigated all the things she said she'd changed in the last 3 days I finally get told... the laptop doesn't work either ...

Maybe it's me... I guess I should ask more questions before leaping in

Regards
          Andy
          You got something against the older generation?

I had bought a second hand dell laptop & it had a slightly damaged ethernet connector which I had fixed, then there was no internet, so I tweeked the connector pins a bit more (& nearly wrecked it) & still no internet. I rang up my local computer supplier & arranged an upgrade to a new laptop instead, so after uninstalling everything I went to the other computer in the house &, what do you know?, the internet didn't work. The modem had lost its memory & wasn't going to retain it either. I ended up with a new laptop & a new wireless modem, so after some heartache I ended up with something OK. Even the internet provider stuffed up my password which delayed the installalion of the new modem.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Hmm - been there. We have an older relative who is as keen on the internet as he is keen on a bargain. His computers have to be scrapped regularly when they are brought to their knees by too much stuff and virus overload. I tried to clean one up once. I couldn't even get disk check to complete, as for virus check and defragment - forget it.. Imagine Windows overlaid by AOL overlaid by popups everywhere.

I suspect all this was caused by those dodgy "Click this because its free" or "Congratulations, you are the millionth visitor" adverts on web pages.

Sigh...
            Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

I had a family member who complained of her PC slowing down. I examined the machine, it was full of pop-up adverts. I did a virus scan.....I gave up after 700 infections found. I took the drive out, copied the data and did a re-installed.

We narrowed it down to an individual looking at.....what can only be described as "Adult" material. When challenged this was denied.......until the browser history was shown. His wife was not happy....it made me laugh.

They kept on having PC issues until the PSU went bang and killed the motherboard and HDD. I sent them to PC world as I did not want the hassle of building a PC for them (which they would expect for free(ish))

Comment

Sorry if this sounds like an over-reaction to what was meant to be a light-hearted comment but ....

Help your parents while you've still got them. Once they're gone, they're gone. How often did they have to dig you out of a hole when you were young?

Sorry, but I had to say this. It's something I feel strongly about.
                Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Parents, aunts, friends......which some how starts to expand to friends on parents, aunts friends.......it never seems to end.

I give and moan about giving support, but they still get it.

Comment

Oh yes, I know all about it. I spent 25 years as an (eventually very senior) IT person. Everyone expects free support.
                    Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Remember it is not all one way. Spare a thought for we old codgers who provide IT support to children (aged 38 and 40). It can be equally traumatic particularly when trying to diagnose and fix problems over the phone. Still, it is probably my own fault for having had an involvement in computing since the 70's - come back CPM and GEM, all is forgiven.
                      Dennis

E-30; 9-18; 14-54 MkII; 40-150; 70-300; FL36R

Comment

Originally posted by menace1944 View Post
                        Remember it is not all one way. Spare a thought for we old codgers who provide IT support to children (aged 38 and 40). It can be equally traumatic particularly when trying to diagnose and fix problems over the phone. Still, it is probably my own fault for having had an involvement in computing since the 70's - come back CPM and GEM, all is forgiven.
                        Yes, I remember those days. Old mechanical accounting machines with "birds nest" wire wrap pc boards rack connections (all one colour), the AWA terminals for customs & police & Phillips Word Processors with 8" floppy drives. Shall I go on.....?
                        Ross
                        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                          Shall I go on.....?
                          No need
                          Dennis

E-30; 9-18; 14-54 MkII; 40-150; 70-300; FL36R

Comment

The old days - typing up the code on a paper tape (that doesnot have an interpreter on it) and then discovering you have made a format error and have to start again.

Best computing days - having a Sys 360/50 for the whole Sunday to test out a suite of programs. Mounting the tapes and disc packs and watching the output being print on a train printer. Doing fixes and re compiling andrerunning the programs. That is computing.
                            This space for rent

Comment

Or dropping the deck of cards on your way to the reader (00E if I remember the address correctly!) on a busy night shift after you've got back from the pub.

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                              The old days - typing up the code on a paper tape (that doesnot have an interpreter on it) and then discovering you have made a format error and have to start again.
                              Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Working...
                              X