X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED Replacement for my FT 12-60 SWD

Larry

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
    Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

Comment

Re: Replacement for my FT 12-60 SWD

I had the same problem last year too & just had to use the 14-54 II instead (or 12-50EZ lens) until I had decided what direction to take. I went for the 12-40 Pro on New Years sale (end of December) as Olympus Australia (Sydney) told me they won't repair it anymore. I had bought my 12-60 SWD lens used a year before at a cheap price. Olympus did suggest a lens repairer in Sydney, but ......
      If money wasn't the issue then the 12-40 f2.8 Pro is ideal for indoors (along with the 40-150 f2.8 Pro) but for outdoor work the 12-100 f4 lens would be even better (but obviously costs more).
      Ross
      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Comment

Then either repair or another 12-60 sounds like the way to go then.

BTW, I'm only a mere hobby photographer (if that) too.

Ross
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Comment

I'm not very good at mending things, but if it's pretty well beyond economical repair I guess I could have a go. In fact at first sight I can't even see how to make a start getting it open. I think this is the connector: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Lens-...19.m1438.l2649

But it could turn out to be the aperture blades. Judging from discussion in various forums found while googling on the subject, this is sometimes thought to be the case.

Edited to add: looking more closely I can see 4 tiny screws on the metal ring near the rear element, and 3 infinitesimal black screws on the black inner ring - too small even for jewellers' screwdrivers I think. I feel out of my depth already ...

Anyone got a used one for sale?

Comment

Dave that was the siruation when I had one repaired too
                OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Hi RobEW,

I just had a quick look at mine - all seven of those screws turned easily enough using a small jewellers screwdriver but as there it nothing wrong with my lens I did them up again very quickly so I can't tell you how easy or difficult a repair it would be.

I do know that when Olympus mended mine (and Luton said they would do the same), they replaced the entire aperture mechanism. That doesn't mean it was faulty, probably more likely that it is a quicker swap out than changing the flexi-strip.

The clue (in my case) that it was the flexi-strip at fault was that the aperture worked correctly at short focal lengths but wouldn't operate at long focal lengths. This is because when the lens is extended, the flexi-strip is straightened out and any breaks in it become non-conductive. When the lens is wound back in, the breaks re-connect and it works again. If you have these symptoms (or indeed it was like this when it first went faulty), then chances are it is a broken strip.

Dave

Comment

I would suggest if you would still rather buy one only buy one that has had the shutter mechanism repaired.
                    OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Aperture mechanism you mean. Yes, that's what's making me cautious about getting another used one. It might develop the same fault. But people who sell on here tend to have looked after their equipment. I guess most 12-60s don't get the problem, but we only hear about copies that do.

Comment

Ross and I have both experienced the aperture problem with the 12-60mm SWD. I would be interested to hear if anybody else has. But from looking at various other Olympus groups on the net, I get the impression that this issue is far from rare. If buying a used 12-60mm SWD, do your due diligence and make certain that the lens has had its flexi-strip replaced.

Caveat emptor!
                        Larry

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
                        Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH

Comment

Originally posted by griffljg View Post
                          Ross and I have both experienced the aperture problem with the 12-60mm SWD. I would be interested to hear if anybody else has. But from looking at various other Olympus groups on the net, I get the impression that this issue is far from rare. If buying a used 12-60mm SWD, do your due diligence and make certain that the lens has had its flexi-strip replaced.

Caveat emptor!
                          My lens started off fine & several months later it developed the problem. I think it is an age & use thing & any 'pre-loved' one may possibly develop the same issue in due course. I was prepared to have mine repaired had Olympus done it, but now I have the 12-40 Pro I don't really want to go that way if another repairer could do it anyhow.
                          Ross

Comment

Anyone know: if you have it repaired, is the new cable more durable than original, or could it be a recurrent problem?

Comment

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
                              Anyone know: if you have it repaired, is the new cable more durable than original, or could it be a recurrent problem?
                              One hopes you will get the number of year's life out of the lens that it already had, taking into account the amount of zooming it gets.
                              Ross

Comment

Working...
                              X