Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Four Thirds 50mm f1.2 Macro ED Lens + Hood & LED Lighting Ring Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Four Thirds 50mm f1.2 Macro ED Lens + Hood & LED Lighting Ring Kit

There seems to be some muddled thinking about the macro credentials of this lens. It is a 4/3 lens. The sensor size of 4/3 and m4/3 is the same, the wider axis measuring 17.5mm.

On my m4/3 the closest focusing/maximum magnification fills the frame with 35mm of rule scale. That is the same image as you would get on full frame at 1:1.

So, forget about 1mm of m4/3 being equivalent to 2mm of subject. If you want what is called a "life size" reproduction on full frame then you should use this lens on 4/3 or (via an adapter) on m4/3.

Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

For 1:1 reproduction with my lens on my E5 I need to use the EX-25 extension tube.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
        For 1:1 reproduction with my lens on my E5 I need to use the EX-25 extension tube.

Jim
        It seems I may have expressed things less clearly than I should.

Unless I am misinformed, the sensor of the E5 is the same size as the EM-1.

A given lens, at its minimum working distance, will give the same magnification on a sensor of the same size, irrespective of the camera body.

The shortest subject to sensor distance "shortest focus" is ca 9 inches, and the closest working distance ca 4 inches (10cm). The distance window on the lens lines up so that the graduations for 0.79ft & 0.24m are almost touching the right side of the window (at infinity the symbol is central).

At that distance my EM-1 frame is filled horizontally with 35 x 1mm gradations.

Harold

Comment

http://psdfiles.graphics/

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
            my EM-1 frame is filled horizontally with 35 x 1mm gradations.

Harold
            I do not doubt that, Harold, but your EM-1 sensor is not 35mm wide, and therefore your image is not 1:1!

If I remember correctly, the EM-1 sensor is 13x17mm, which would mean that your image is 1:2. But that does not correspond to Olympus' own specification, nor the markings on the lens, which suggest that the 35mm macro is capable of 1:1 reproduction.

Are there weasel words at play here? Olympus', not yours.

Piers

Comment

Maybe these images, in sunlight, will help it sell:

Harold

Comment

Sold pending payment.

Comment

Lens now sold.

Comment

Working...
                  X