Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8

I have one person interested. Leeds and the Chilterns are some way apart but I daresay a meeting would be possible if you are interested. I should point out that mine is cosmetically not as good as Sapper's but excellent optically. Specifically it lacks the drop in filters other than the UV and the case is third party. It has a slight ding on the rim which would prevent fitting a screw in filter. I hasten to add it was like this when I got it, not as a result of my use.
    David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Hi David,

I have tried to reply to your pm but can't as I don't have sufficient posts! Please email me direct at andymonty at gmail dot com as I am keen to discuss your offer.

Best wishes,

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Melaka View Post
        I have one person interested. Leeds and the Chilterns are some way apart but I daresay a meeting would be possible if you are interested. I should point out that mine is cosmetically not as good as Sapper's but excellent optically. Specifically it lacks the drop in filters other than the UV and the case is third party. It has a slight ding on the rim which would prevent fitting a screw in filter. I hasten to add it was like this when I got it, not as a result of my use.
        Does that mean that it does not have a UV filter over he front lens?

Liz

Comment

The hood for this lens is so huge that there's no point in having a UV filter for protection. They cost an arm and a leg too.
          David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

You should fit at least two stacked protective filters to the 300mm. Then if the outer one gets smashed there's still the inner one protecting the front element.
            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Hi Melaka

I won't be making you an offer for the 300mm.

1 The going rate seems to be £3000. Until recently Simply Electronics were offering the 300mm lens at £1000 less than everyone else. If you dug into the small print that was because they were selling the lens without the filters. Are you willing to offer the lens at £2000?

2 Even if the lens is in excellent condition I can't put a UV filter over it. I have in the past dropped a lens smashing the UV, but the lens itself was undamaged. So I haven't your confidence that in my possession the lens would remain unblemished.

Thank you for your time

Liz

Comment

Thank you. The lens has now been sold to another forum member.
                David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

If you're worried about damaging to front element you'd better wrap the lens in foam rubber as well. A knock on the side can crack a front element. Of course it may be months before you notice the crack if you're a certain photo editor of a UK birding mag.
                  It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Lizzie, I can see the advantage of a high quality front filter on a lens, dependant on what you plan on using it for. Yes David probably correct in that a poor filter will have a detrimental effect, but so will repeated coverings in mud at a motorcross event, or dried salt spray etc.
                    I'd have a look at this thread and also the one linked to from there for further insight.
                    http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=300mm
                    Best Regards
                    Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                    They're Watching You!

Comment

Working...
                    X