Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Microsoft Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Codec

I know its been aired before....

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthr...ighlight=codec

But I have only just sorted my RAW .ORF file viewing. The last entry in the above thread directs you to the CODEC from the Microsoft store...

I got there by opening a RAW file with the Windows Photo programme. That directed me to the same CODEC files...Look for RAW IMAGE EXTENSION
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Re: Microsoft Codec

Which OS are you using Mark?
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      Which OS are you using Mark?
      Sorry should have said...

Windows 10..:-)
      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
        Sorry should have said...

Windows 10..:-)
        I have no problems viewing ORF files from my EM-1 Mk 1 in Windows 8.1 or 10 either as full images or thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

I suspect later cameras need an updated codec which should be freely available for W10 but probably not 8.1.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I have no problems viewing ORF files from my EM-1 Mk 1 in Windows 8.1 or 10 either as full images or thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

I suspect later cameras need an updated codec which should be freely available for W10 but probably not 8.1.
          Yes, on my Olympus camera progression, EPL1 to EM1 ii, various camera RAW files were readable by Windows. Others were not, I do wonder why its taken at least a couple of years for Windows/Olympus to get their act together, and supply the codec.

But Heyho, we have arrived now...……..
          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

This has been discussed before, back in the days of the E1, E3 and E5 I think. I seem to remember it was Olympus being tardy in providing the codecs to Microsoft rather than Microsoft being tardy in implementing them.

I also wonder why camera raw files 'need' to be different for every iteration of a camera body?
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I also wonder why camera raw files 'need' to be different for every iteration of a camera body?
              They probably aren't, particularly among cameras that share a sensor. However, there will be a field in the metadata which (very usefully) says which body it came from, and raw processors will check this to decide what to do with it. If it is not recognised, it will refuse (reasonably enough, but less usefully) to play with it.

I vaguely remember this when the E-620 came out - I think it had the same sensor as the E-600 in an improved body. Raw processors like Lightroom wouldn't touch it but somebody here showed how to hack the metadata to say the files came from an E-600, then it worked fine.

John

PS Bonus point to Nigel for writing raw correctly

Comment

The extension for W10 is provided by Microsoft.
                https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ra...ot:overviewtab

This package is made possible thanks to libraw open source project (http://www.libraw.org). Check out https://www.libraw.org/supported-cameras for a list of supported cameras. Libraw library is licensed under COMMON DEVELOPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION LICENSE Version 1.0 (CDDL-1.0)

But relies on the work of others to actual function; the libraw open source project
                https://www.libraw.org/about
                It doesn't look like Olympus had anything to do with it but I may have missed something.

As I shoot RAW+JPG I'm still in 2 minds about the App.
                As Olympus Viewer puts both files in the same folder by default and W10 hides the file details in thumbnail views it can actually be slower to sort one from the other.
                The preview speed for JPG is much quicker than ORF which can be frustrating.
                In some circumstances it's very handy though so I'm putting up with the annoyances for the time being.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post

I vaguely remember this when the E-620 came out - I think it had the same sensor as the E-600 in an improved body. Raw processors like Lightroom wouldn't touch it but somebody here showed how to hack the metadata to say the files came from an E-600, then it worked fine.
                  I used to own an E-600... I think it was the other way round. The E-620 was released first and then the E-600 as a cheaper alternative (IIRC correctly, there were only a couple of minor differences - the 620 had illuminated buttons and some extra Art modes). I'm pretty sure the raw files had to be hacked to say E-620 to get the version of Lightroom I had at the time to recognise them.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by raichea View Post
                    I used to own an E-600... I think it was the other way round. The E-620 was released first and then the E-600 as a cheaper alternative (IIRC correctly, there were only a couple of minor differences - the 620 had illuminated buttons and some extra Art modes). I'm pretty sure the raw files had to be hacked to say E-620 to get the version of Lightroom I had at the time to recognise them.
                    I would back your memory against my speculation any time! Thanks for clarifying.

John

Comment

Working...
                    X